(Confused),Cat Eating but losing weight....

jcornman

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
OK lets start with the subcutaneous fluid.  This helps flush out the kidney, eliminating poisons collected from the bloodstream.  I am giving Johnny 150 mg every other day, but he is a 17 lb cat so talk to your vet about this. It commonly comes in 1 liter bags (the ones you see in the hospital), and I buy mine from our local pharmacy.  They require a prescription so your vet must be in on this.  It's been costing about $35 US per case of 12, and I buy it that way because it is significantly less expensive by the case.  Also our pharmacy doesn't sell by the bag and doesn't normally stock it. There are several different type of I.V. fluid and I don't really know what the difference is.  My vet uses 'lactated ringers" so that's what I buy. We warm the fluid in hot water before use so it is more pleasant for the cat.

We use what is called a "primary I.V. set". That's the tubing running from the bag to the needle. Keep it simple you don't need to pay for bells and whistles.  I've also done this with with my parents' cat using a syringe instead of tubing. Once again this needs to be coordinate with your vet.  You'll need to find out what gauge and length of needle your vet recommends.  I use 18 gauge, 1.5 inches long.  1.5 inches long is a little bit longer than needed but 1inch has been too short.  Their are sizes in between but my local source doesn't carry them. My vet says we can reuse the needle several times but we have found they dull after 1 use so we just buy them by the box and don't reuse them.  Make sure you get instruction at your vet office on how to place the needle  It might help to do your first injection at the vets office.  It's natural to be a bit squeamish about injections but it is very effective.  Johnny not only doesn't mind, but actually seems to want it.  So does Binx (other cat).  That might have something to do with giving them treats after-wards.   It must not hurt too much because they come for it voluntarily.

Now as far feeding is concerned, and quality food is worth the price in the long run.  I made my own food for a while but had to stop because it took to much time.  Of course it didn't help that I was feeding 2 large dogs and 7 cats.  1 cat should be much easier.  Initially my vet advised me strongly against this.  Let me give you his main concerns: Cats have a much different digestive system than humans or dogs.  They require nutrients that we synthesize but they can't.  If those nutrients are not present in their food it can have dire consequences.  Fortunately the American Association of Feed Control Officials (AAFCO) has standards and Foster & Smith have published them.  I'd give you a link but I've found that links sometimes get my posts held for review.  I'll give you that info in a separate post.  The other problem is related to the first .  When cats eat in the wild they eat the whole prey, blood, organs, eyes and often bones.  There are nutrients that aren't found in quantity in muscle, but cats still need them, for instance calcium.  Now many raw feeders grind bone into the food and that probably works fine but the best source is actually blood, it's much more digestible.  Packing houses drain the blood and you may not find a source.  You can use supplements but make sure it is calcium HCL not calcium carbonate.  There are nutrients that cats need which are mainly found  in organs, eyes, brains, tongue, etc....  Finally some nutrients have to be balance against others and an imbalance can be toxic. So when you read "balanced" that is a very important word.  I did a bunch of research, wrote a plan, and gave it to my vet.  His concerns were answered and he got on board.  I just want you to realize that home made food is not as simple as going to Wal-mart, buying a cheap bag of chicken quarters and feeding it to your cat.  It's always important that your vet knows anytime you stray from the beaten path, since that info can be key to future diagnosis.

If you shop carefully and read the labels you can find good commercial cat food.  Look at the ingredients and find the  food that has the most meat ingredients before the first non-meat ingredient.  Avoid grains and gluten.  Wheat gluten is a horrible thing to put in cat food.  It is a cheap protein, and I'd bet that the manufacturer counts it as protein on the label, but cats bodies can't use it efficiently, if they can use it at all.  Cats need animal protein.

Hope this helps, and I hope you didn't find the amount of detail offensive, but I don't know how knowledgeable you are.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm confused. A urinalysis has been done, correct? Any blood work? Has she been diagnosed with diabetes? Kidney disease?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

k-niner47

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Appreciate all the details !

You can never be knowledgeable enough these days.

Thanks... it will be nice to come back to reread this again.

k-niner47

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The urinalysis saw high glucose levels in her urine.

The next blood work will be to determine how much insulin she needs.The vet found by squeezing,or holding,and locating gingers kidney that she showed no signs of discomfort,and he said that was a good sign.I sure hope there isnt any kidney disease present,and that the new food she will remain on(vet diabetic food),will prevent any damage,or further if any has already occurred.

She is eating the new food,and has drank more water than she has lately.All day today,all she did was mostly sleep,and rest,but we were able to pick up some of the vet food before they closed,and we only got the results a few hours before.I,m still wanting to try "Purina Diabetese",because i think it is her favorite of that type of food.

A case cost $55.I think there are 24/case.Nice huh.

k-niner47

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Now something new is happening.

Ginger hardly poos anymore,and she is sometimes throwing up,and wheezing,like she is trying to get rid of a hairball,but cant.

I rubbed a bit of Laxatone on the side of her mouth,and put some on her nose.

Will try to do the same tomorrow.

We will also be getting some fresh grass from outside for her to chew on.

Any suggestions for a stool softener? Or something to make her poop?

jcornman

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You might want to try mixing some of the laxatone into her food.  Most of my cats eat it just fine, but with cats there is always that one who has to be different.  As expensive as prescription food is you may want to try just a little in a teaspoon of food first.  I like to mix yogurt into my cats food.  It isn't an immediate cure but it is good long term preventive measure. Keep up the good work.

cajanae

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

So sorry to hear about your kittys health problems. My 13 year old cat started losing weight rapidly in January of this year. Had full blood work done because he was getting his teeth cleaned.  All good in his test. By April he went from 13 lbs to 10, then the lowest was 7lbs. He was near death. I took him to 2 different vets and also a homeopathic vet.

We tried prednisone that worked somewhat short term, but then he had a horrible reaction from one of the shots and almost died.

He would vomit occasionally and was very constipated.  So here is what I did that has turned him around back to a completely healthy cat:

I changed his dry food to Fromms TunaAnchovy  (very clean high grade food) I mix it with Fancy Feast classic. I give him a B  complex injection once a week 2.5 mls. I give him 1 cc of a mixture of stool softener (liquid from the vet) in it I mix Flora by Purina ( probiotic packet) add a capsule of digestive enzymes and 2 capsules of Trader Joes EFA fish oils. I use half the liquid stool softener from vet and mix the rest of the ingredients in. You can mix this in with your cats food.

My cat perked up immediately with the shot--it increases their appetite and thirst.  I had him on IV fluids when I got him out of the vets. I weaned him off the IV fluids within a few  weeks. Once every other day s to once a week and done.

From June 22 when I took him to be put to sleep because he was so weak on 7 lbs...vet gave IV fluids and b shot until now...he is completely a healthy senior kitty who is now back up to 11 pounds!  If you cannot afford to take your cat to the vet for shots, order b12 online with diabetic syringes and ask your vet how to give the shot. Its so easy.

I brought my cat back from deaths door. His coat is gorgeous, he has tons of energy and back better than he has been in a year. He was basically diagnosed with IBD...whatever it was I have turned it around. The b vitamins are good for their liver and kidneys as well.

It was so frustrating because he was cleared of tumors, masses, liver or kidney disease, diabetes and hyperthyroid.  I am a nurse and decided I would give to him what I would a patient with his symptoms.

I hope my journey the past several months will help your kitty..Good luck!!!

cajanae

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
One last thing..he eats Fage plain greek yogart with me 3 times a week--lots of great probiotics in it. He eats it off my spoon! :)