Confused! Cat “birthed” what looked like big tissues?

Amjasper93

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So we believe our cat got pregnant around May 20th, as she’s an indoor outdoor cat. She hasn’t gotten “huge” but her belly has grown and her nipples are swollen. She went through a bout a week in early June of being tired, mopey and no appetite, but that went away.
well, Monday (July 11th) she started having reddish brown discharge and was trying to hide under blankets. I made her a pallet and got her comfy and I noticed she started straining. It seems pretty early to be having her kittens I thought, but I stayed by her side.
she ended up pushing out a tissue that looked like it could’ve been a placenta, I was thinking okay. Maybe she miscarried a baby. But then her “labor” continued after she ate that placenta and ended up passing 3 more blobs like the first, within a 2 hr time frame. No babies at all.
she’s back to acting like her normal self, eating, drinking, etc.
no discharge from what I’ve seen.
can anyone tell me what went on? ☹ She’s only 2yrs old.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really can’t say for sure. I would suggest having a vet check her. You don’t mention the time that passed between her passing tissue and now. It could be that she passed a couple of undeveloped kittens and may still have live kitten births or it could have been similar to a false pregnancy but I don’t remember if the cat I had that did that passed any tissue. It was decades ago. The best way I know of the be sure that no kittens are still present it to have a vet check her. I am sure that others will be along who may be able to give you more information. Please do keep us updated.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I logged back in because it occurred to me to tell you that it is important to keep her inside until you have figured this all out. On the off chance that she might still give birth or have a problem of some sort, you need to keep an eye on her. It may be that she simply did not produce full term babies but only a vet can be sure. Even a call to a vet would give you more to go on. Watch for any changes in going to the litter box, hiding, changes in eating or drinking and being mopey again. Also if you notice further discharge or notice her panting, shivering or or lethargy. If she did miscarry and nothing further transpires, please know that nature has a way of keeping babies that have problems from any suffering and sometimes a miscarriage is because of that. :alright: If that is the case, I am so sorry for the loss. Truly, I would suggest a vet check. We always suggest spaying for females for many reasons so you might ask a vet about that too.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She has likely miscarried and perhaps the developing kittens have been re-absorbed, but it’s important to get her x-rayed at the vet to make sure there is nothing left in her uterus. Please get her spayed as well to prevent future issues such as this.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Amjasper93

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How is she doing?
She is doing fine. Still active, eats normally, drinks enough water, uses the bathroom normally. Still very loveable (she went thru a period of hissing at everyone and her adopted kitty daughter, lol) but that ended about two weeks ago. Hasn’t had discharge since the day she birthday the tissues. No other symptoms.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is doing fine. Still active, eats normally, drinks enough water, uses the bathroom normally. Still very loveable (she went thru a period of hissing at everyone and her adopted kitty daughter, lol) but that ended about two weeks ago. Hasn’t had discharge since the day she birthday the tissues. No other symptoms.
Has she seen a vet? I would get her checked to ensure she isnt pregnant and get her booked to be spayed asap.