Conflicting advice on treatments

Christykitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Everyone!

I took in a pregnant stray and have momma and her 3 week old kittens. Everyone is doing well. Momma's fecal has coccidia and lung worm. The first vet we saw said they wouldn't treat anything until she was done nursing. After reading forums and doing some research I called another vet who recommended Albon for 5 days for momma and told me to order safeguard for the lungworm.

I had anxiety before about the parasite and lungworm not being treated. Now I have anxiety about using the medication. Why is there so much conflicting information on the internet and from vet to vet?!?

I should add that no one has active symptoms of the coccidia right now. Momma seems to be a "carrier". She is still stimulating the kittens but they are growing well and I don't notice any diarrhea. Coccidia seems to be a ticking time bomb. I know many people recommend Ponazuril and maybe I'll seek that if we show symptoms. I am cleaning regularly but they are in a bathroom and I am not using ammonia while they are in there. Here are the anxious questions going through my mind.

How much Albon is being passed through her nursing? Could the Albon that is being passed through nursing prevent the kittens from getting coccidia? If i did nothing is it inevitable that the kittens will get it? Does momma cat know I'm dosing her with meds and will this cause her stress and then will that stress harm her or the kittens? Is the Albon dangerous to the kittens? Why is it not recommended for nursing cats yet is prescribed to kittens? Since no one seems to have diarrhea now will Albon do more harm than good?

I know that's a lot and appreciate any feedback. Thank you!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Use the Albon as well as the Safeguard. Albon is safe for nursing moms and kittens. The Albon should kill the coccidia, and you definitely need to treat the lung worm.

There are very conservative vets who refuse to give meds to pregnant or nursing cats or their tiny kittens, but I disagree with that position, as do many other vets.

The kittens sound healthy for now and you want them to stay that way!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Christykitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Use the Albon as well as the Safeguard. Albon is safe for nursing moms and kittens. The Albon should kill the coccidia, and you definitely need to treat the lung worm.

There are very conservative vets who refuse to give meds to pregnant or nursing cats or their tiny kittens, but I disagree with that position, as do many other vets.

The kittens sound healthy for now and you want them to stay that way!
Thank you for the reassurance! Do you know if the Albon passing through the milk will be helpful to the kittens or could it cause an upset stomach for them?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It will be a small amount and should not cause issues. If anything, it will help the kittens.