Conflicted about whether to allow my cat to go outside

cmerrell

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

I've got a cat that I adopted as a stray about 18 months ago. My intent was to have him be an indoor cat because I don't like to let my pets roam around outside (too many dangers out there!). The problem is that he's got an insatiable desire to go out. He's always looking for a chance to escape and scratches and meows at the outside doors several times a day. He's actually damaged two of my doors with his claws in his attempt to get out of the house. I knew keeping him inside would be a big transition, but I didn't expect that he'd still be so fixated on going out a full year and half later!

He seems fairly happy otherwise. He's affectionate and interactive. He likes attention and has plenty of toys and treats. My other cat isn't particularly fond of him, but they do tolerate each other.

I allow both cats to go out on a screened porch in the evenings when I'm home from work, so they get a semi-outdoor experience there. It's not enough for Chauncey though. He just really, really wants the freedom to roam at will. I think he gets downright bored and frustrated at times being kept in the house.

I've been toying with the idea of letting him be an indoor/outdoor cat, even though I really do not like the extra risk it poses to him. Growing up, we always had indoor/outdoor cats and several of them were hit and killed by cars, or just disappeared one day, never to be seen again. I hate the thought of that for Chauncey, but I worry that he'll never be satisfied to be kept indoors. I want him to enjoy his life. I don't want him to feel like he's being imprisoned (however pleasant and loving the actual "prison" envionment may be...).

My veterinarian estimates his age at ~5 to 6 years. He's a neutered male and has all his claws intact.

My second concern is my other cat. He's also very curious about the great outdoors although he doesn't exhibit the same single-minded fixation on getting out of the house. He's an older cat who needs to take medication twice a day. I absolutely do not want to let him go outside, and I wonder if allowing Chauncey to go out will open a big can of worms with Verdell.

What do you guys think? Is it better to let Chauncey have what he wants, even with the higher risks that might be attached?

Sorry for the lengthy post! I really appreciate any ideas or feedback anyone wants to share!

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had to make the choice in October. I got the cat she was pregnant delivered and ALWAYS wanted to be outside. moved to apartment not to long after and it was a battle. When we moved to own house I allowed it. I figured she knew how to handle herself(being she was out for few years before I got her)

The other cats have not shown any difference. Occasionally they try to get out but I keep a can of air freshner by door and they hate the hissing noise it makes:S

Do take into consideration where you live/neighbors and how friendly he will be. If cat wants to enter ppls houses or cars that may lead to them being very annoyed/trapping cat.
One cat I took few months ago wants to go out but is not allowed as when she gets out she causes trouble for many ppl. But when I met all new neighbors I told them I have a few cats(
hey they dont need to know) and one or two likes to go out if its ever an issue let me know before you want to kill my cat(said with humor to lighten mood/let them know I really want them to let me know)

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would never, ever allow my cats to roam... There are ways you can keep them happy and safe inside - window sills, wall shelves, cat trees, toys, etc.
Take some time on our Crossing the Bridge session and read about the many cats that died after being let out, or escaped.... Some of them even for a day or two... It is quite dangerous out there - not worth it at all IMHO.

ladyhitchhiker

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Cats do eventually get over the desire to want to go out. You just have to be patient and not give in, because once you start letting them out, they always want to be out.

Remember what you said in the beginning: there are TOO many dangers outside.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cmerrell

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I appreciate the feedback. It would certainly be my preference to keep him inside. I need to figure out how to keep him happy and contented (and how to prevent him from destroying my house and driving me insane when he's in his restless "let me out" mode).

Does anyone have suggestions for keeping him busy when I'm away at work, or when I'm trying to sleep at night? Obviously, he sleeps a great deal of the time, but when he's ready to be active, he's very active!

He's got a variety of little balls and mousy toys, and a fabric play tube that he likes to run through. But he gets bored if no one is interacting directly with him. I try to make a point of playing with him each day, but it's not usually enough to wear him out for the night or make him forget about going outside.

He has window sill access so that he can look out into the yard. I don't have a cat tree at this time, but would be willing to get one if it seems to make a real difference for other people's cats.

Any other specific suggestions for things I can try?

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think this should be an indoor outdoor debate as many feel its wrong and many feel its right. That said I have two strictly indoor and one strictly outdoor-another indoor who is working on being outdoor. I think that if you want him to be inside you need to determine what about outside he missed-was it the ability to run? Hunt? Then find toys that apply to that. Perhaps he doesn't like the indoor kitty or feliway might help?

elayman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't have this issue (could be the cat tree ?
) but I have heard leash training your cat, and taking him for a "walk" every day get a lot of positive responses. There are websites on how to do this, and it basically just involves slowly getting your cat used to a harness and leash. This may satisfy his need to go outside and keep him protected at the same time. I am a FIRM indoor kitty person too, but I suppose it can be done if you have one that is adamant about going outside once in awhile (....or several times a day).

Another suggestion would be to leave the door open a crack and sit outside out of sight with a spray bottle filled with water. As soon as the cat looks out the door or steps out the door spray them with water until they turn around and run inside.

Pretty soon they will stand near the door when open, possibly howling, but not try to actually escape.

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Look into outdoor enclosures. They are all over the place on the internet. Drs. Foster and Smith catalog for cats have beauties.

If you or someone you know are handy, they are easy to build and should satisfy your kitties needs to go out. Just make it accessable from your home through a cat door.

My DH built ours and it is just wonderful to watch my kitties lazing around out there, watching the birds and woodchucks. Yet safe, with a locking man door.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would build a good strong outside enclosure (small fencing) and let him have access to that. You can build or buy a ramp that leads from the window into the enclosure. Set the enclosure up as fancy as your budget allows.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with the enclosure, and they are usually much cheaper to built yourself.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
enclosures seem to be a solid idea.. though I have yet to use mine...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cmerrell

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've started looking a bit online to get an idea of enclosure options. I have a totally screened porch/lanai area that looks out onto my back yard, and I do let the cats go out there every evening when I'm home from work, but maybe an option that would actually put them out in the yard would make Chauncey happier. Looks like it can get pretty pricey though so I'll have to figure out what I can do within my budget. In the meantime, I am also going to look for a cat tree and see if that adds to his overall contentment level.

Thanks for the suggestions. I appreciate it!