Conflicted about cat food after visiting vet

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

awsomepatates

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Sheba is grain free wet and it's 50 cents a can at WalMart. Both my Boys love it... albeit, they will only eat pate`. 
I've heard great things about Sheba! Unfortunately it's not available in lowly Canada :(... 

As a scientist myself, I appreciate your need for evidence. The whole idea of feeding raw is actually quite-ish new and there are definitely studies being done. However, when you look at what desert cats eat in the wild, you see that it is strictly raw fresh meat. You don't need to look at science to know that whole raw foods that are the closest to nature are much better for living organisms compared to processed foods with synthetic chemicals. Eating processed foods is not the best for both people or animals. @missmimz  is definitely educated about the topic of feeding raw, and many vets that specialize in nutrition are raw advocates. 

I also know how you feel about the money thing. I'm still in school and there is absolutely nothing wrong with wet food and also feeding quality dry like FROMM if you are making sure your kitt is getting enough water! I personally feed Fancy Feast Classics and SHEBA when I am low on money :) 
Hahaha, glad you can relate to the student life struggle! Would love to try Sheba, but as mentioned above, not in Canada :(... 

Appreciate the info, and I understand that water becomes an important factor in dry diets. I think investing in a fountain and trying various ways of making water more appetizing for kitty could work well - hopefully I can switch back to wet in the future once he's stabilized. Again, I completely agree that raw diets are very viable for raising healthy cats, I just don't think that ingredients that sound "unnatural" should be discarded instantly when studies suggest that some of them  provide no harm (once again, I digress, not a topic I'd like this thread to turn into 
!). 
I feel your pain with Canadian Amazon...it doesn't hold a candle to the Anerican one. :/

Pet valu has Preformatrin Ultra, which from what I remember was relatively cheap for a grain free food and came in the big cans you usually find for dogs. Didn't really agree with my cat (gave him gas), but maybe it will work for yours?
I'm glad I'm not the only one! Canadian amazon is a sad site (pun intended) to witness :(.

Will look into performatin, if I can ever get to 50/50 dry and wet then maybe I could afford to throw in foods that are a step up from typical in-store brands and friskies since the dry should cut the cost a bit, hopefully!

bonepicker

Animal Lover Extraordinare
Top Cat
Purraise
Lower cost wet and higher cost dry is better combo to feed than the other way around. I add water to wet foods also. I had two cats make it to 18 on Friskies pates (very inexpensive)

Last edited: