Confessions of an American Cat Huffer

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hilarious post, dude. I love the image of a group of adults, passing around a cat and taking deep sniffs.

I can't say I huff my cat, but when he "grooms" me I'm always impressed by the absence of smell, in other words how clean he keeps himself. Unfortunately, his bowel movements are horrific: I can clean the litter box twice a day, and still it looks like the aftermath of the Afghan war every time I lift the lid -- poop jutting out from the litter at odd angles, like bombed-out battle tanks half-buried under the desert sand; mountainous urine clumps that look like the Great Pyramids before British archaeologists spent decades unearthing them; litter shoveled against the sides of the box, like wind-swept sand dunes; more particulate matter hanging in the air than the Arabian desert after a dust storm.

So I went and bought Fresh Step litter, and now Bud smells like fresh laundry, which isn't good. I figure if I can smell it, to him it must be a hundred times more potent, and I don't want to make my little Buddy uncomfortable or sick from overly perfumed litter. I have to find a happy medium...
This is Nobel prize winning standard. Eat your hearts out Shakespeare, Hemingway, Dickens et al.

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
Hilarious post, dude. I love the image of a group of adults, passing around a cat and taking deep sniffs.

I can't say I huff my cat, but when he "grooms" me I'm always impressed by the absence of smell, in other words how clean he keeps himself. Unfortunately, his bowel movements are horrific: I can clean the litter box twice a day, and still it looks like the aftermath of the Afghan war every time I lift the lid -- poop jutting out from the litter at odd angles, like bombed-out battle tanks half-buried under the desert sand; mountainous urine clumps that look like the Great Pyramids before British archaeologists spent decades unearthing them; litter shoveled against the sides of the box, like wind-swept sand dunes; more particulate matter hanging in the air than the Arabian desert after a dust storm.

So I went and bought Fresh Step litter, and now Bud smells like fresh laundry, which isn't good. I figure if I can smell it, to him it must be a hundred times more potent, and I don't want to make my little Buddy uncomfortable or sick from overly perfumed litter. I have to find a happy medium...

Hysterical description! Accurate, too.

Try Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract. Dust-free and no odor, but it keeps the smell down great. The cats love it, too. We also keep an odor-absorbing sort of gel in a jar that we got from Bed Bath & Beyond sitting near the box. It's called Smells BeGone. The scent is extremely subtle. We don't even smell it. They have other scents, but this is the mildest and is minimal. Here's what it is:

SMELLS BEGONE® Calming Rain 15 oz. Odor Absorbing Gel Jars (Set of 2)

Ardina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Saipha has the most intoxicating scent. Like fresh cut grass and baby powder mixed together. And she loves sleeping on my pillow, curled around my head, so I get to wake up to that lovely scent each morning.

Mishka, on the other hand, smells like a kitten who got distracted by a toy halfway through grooming and never quite got around to finishing...

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
Great thread! Thanks for reviving it, valentine319 valentine319

Diamond has a nice fresh odor, but he doesn't really smell like anything. But pleasant enough. :bicolorcat:

When I first got Seal the feral, his fur had a crappy odor and I mean he smelled like #2. It was not a hygiene problem. I'm not sure why he had that odor. As time went by, it changed and now he has a rich spicy odor. A first rate huffing cat!:catrub:

For the first 10 months I had Leonid, his fur smelled a little musty. Bathing did not help. A few months ago his odor changed and now his fur smells like cotton candy. I have to be careful not to drool! :winkcat:

My new kitty, Lilah, I have not had the privilege of huffing yet. Just lately I have been able to hold her without her struggling to get down. I have to go slow with her, but I hope to get a huff soon. An experience to I look forward to with great anticipation!:silver:

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:lol: I just found this thread, & you guys have me laughing! I love it. I admit, since I just found it, I only read the first
page..then saw it was 5 already! LOL!
I used to do this with Angel. I swear his neck smelled like cotton candy! I used to tell him that he was SO sweet & that's why he smelled like that.
Sammie seems to be different at times, since she does go outside too. (only during the day).
Her "Purrrrfume" would be called "Sassy!" :lol:
(Well, she just came in , so her tummy smells like dirt!)

debbila

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After reading this thread I tried to sniff my kitty, Chicquitita, when I saw her lying on the bed. She immediately got up and jumped off the bed. Then I got an aha moment. She loves to drink from the faucet so I went into the bathroom.... she followed me as always.... I turned on the water at the sink... and Boom! She couldn't resist getting a drink at her favorite place. So I got a good whiff of her back and the top of her head. She doesn't have a sweet smell but kind of earthy.

The next time she wakes me up too early or during the night, I'm going to nudge her to lie down and start huffing. Maybe that will break her of the habit!

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
After reading this thread I tried to sniff my kitty, Chicquitita, when I saw her lying on the bed. She immediately got up and jumped off the bed. Then I got an aha moment. She loves to drink from the faucet so I went into the bathroom.... she followed me as always.... I turned on the water at the sink... and Boom! She couldn't resist getting a drink at her favorite place. So I got a good whiff of her back and the top of her head. She doesn't have a sweet smell but kind of earthy.

The next time she wakes me up too early or during the night, I'm going to nudge her to lie down and start huffing. Maybe that will break her of the habit!
You may have a novel idea here. :flail:

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Just found this thread-made it to page 2=and can't stop laughing!!

umm..yeah. I huff my kitties...Honeybee usually smells good unless she is wet then it's wet dog smell...ugg. she likes the rain the weirdo. I often stick my nose in her fluffy belly riskin claws on either side of face :lol:

Pumpkin doesn't mind huffing..in fact she almost always smells like clean cat except when she sleeps in a dusty corner then she smells like dust...those darn dust bunnies won't stay gone darn it! :flail:

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Great thread! Thanks for reviving it, valentine319 valentine319

Diamond has a nice fresh odor, but he doesn't really smell like anything. But pleasant enough. :bicolorcat:

When I first got Seal the feral, his fur had a crappy odor and I mean he smelled like #2. It was not a hygiene problem. I'm not sure why he had that odor. As time went by, it changed and now he has a rich spicy odor. A first rate huffing cat!:catrub:
<snip>:silver:
My angel Floey used to roll in something really nasty. So yep they can stink to high heck.

Every now and then Honeybee smells like dead animal-I don't know if she rolled on a dead animal or what-but that's when the wet wash clothe comes out and she fights me. :devilish:

Most other times she smells like Honeybee...grass..dirt..leaves...