Conditions For Cats To Mate?

kaleidoscopesky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know this site is pro-spay/neuter, which I will do so, but I'm wondering if my two persians will mate.

Do cats have to be on very good terms/like each other to? Or do hormones during heat determine most of the outcome?

Also I've to add that my girl is 16 months old and she hasn't really seemed to go into heat typically like how it's described-- no ear shattering yowling or sticking her bum in the air much. Brought her to the vet and the vet said it's because there were no toms in the area, and possibly because persians mature late but she's already more than a year old (I didn't have my male persian at that point of time yet)

And lastly I have the time and financial capability to care for the kittens or afford any vet fees, a few more flat-faced furball friends would be lovely before I fix everyone ahahaha.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you are serious about breeding you need to find a mentor. The best person to check with is the breeder you got them from. You'd also need to review your contract for breeding restrictions. You also should do genetic testing on your cats and check with the breeder they came from for possible inbreeding risks with their lineages.

Responsible and ethical breeding is only undertaken, IMO, by someone who fully understands their breed and is breeding to improve the breed. Breeding for more flat faced cats is not doing anything to improve the breed and should not be done, again IMO. If you want more Persian cats I'd encourage you to contact a Persian rescue and find some that need good homes instead of adding more kittens into the world.

Merlin77

Warrior of SandClan
Super Cat
Purraise
I can't answer all of your questions, but on the topic of her... "easy heats":

None of the cats that I've ever witnessed in heat act how the internet describes. No spraying, no crazy yowling, no restless behavior. They just seem more affectionate and will raise their rear end when you pet them by their tail.

I don't think that cats have to be on good terms to mate (hormones, like you said). I read an interesting book that said that when a cat is in heat, she will attract many toms and then pick who she desires the most. Often, this will be the biggest, strongest tom who can fight and beat the other toms. I'm not sure if cats will favour cats they are on good terms with, but it could be a possibility.

You have two very cute cats! (I'm assuming they are in your profile picture?)

cheesycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I second what kieka said. Breeding ethically is all fine and dandy but you HAVE to make sure you have good healthy cats that were purchased from reputable good breeders. Not just some backyard breeders who were more interested in the almighty dollar. A lot goes into breeding. Contracts, linage, making sure whoever buys them does not breed them irresponsibly, etc.
It sounds to me you have little experience with cats and breeding them so I would not consider doing so. I would have them neutered and spayed if you are unsure of their genetics, etc. like kieka said if you want more Persians just to have more Persians you need to contact a rescue instead of bring more cats into the world.