Concerns about kittens

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hanjisnk

lilly sure is silly
Young Cat
Purraise
My cats litter is a little over two weeks old now, and growing rapidly. I was woke up this morning (like, 2 am) by one of the kittens squealing. When I checked their nesting area I noticed one was missing. Naturall, I panicked a bit. After searching around I noticed the kitten was with its mother, but far away. When I put it back in the nesting area, the mom kept trying to move it. Could it be that she can't fit in the nesting area well enough anymore?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
My cats litter is a little over two weeks old now, and growing rapidly. I was woke up this morning (like, 2 am) by one of the kittens squealing. When I checked their nesting area I noticed one was missing. Naturall, I panicked a bit. After searching around I noticed the kitten was with its mother, but far away. When I put it back in the nesting area, the mom kept trying to move it. Could it be that she can't fit in the nesting area well enough anymore?
If you see the nesting area is clearly too small, try to make a new.  Otherwise this reason is not the most common.  Sometimes they move a kitten "because".   And you must find a working solution so everyone is happy again.

What you must look for, is if she moves it because she think its sick and wont make it.  In such cases you must step in immediately, and handraise it if necessary.  Such kittens, whom wont make it in nature, can often make with human help.

Is he growing as good as the others?  And seems as healthy?

hanjisnk

lilly sure is silly
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, this one is very healthy and has grown the most. No infections and has had no problems since birth.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, this one is very healthy and has grown the most. No infections and has had no problems since birth.
Good!  In that case, its something with the nest which she isnt happy with.  Bed need changing?  She need more privacy?  Too small now??  Think it over, Im sure you will find some solution.

hanjisnk

lilly sure is silly
Young Cat
Purraise
So we're having so more minor issues (momma is very stubborn...) with the kittens again. They are 4 or 5 weeks old now, and mom is trying to move them again. The nest is very big and open, so the kittens have plenty of room for walking and playing, but mom still doesn't seem satisfied. She keeps moving them somewhere dark and small, under the dresser. I may have found out the issue, but I'm still not sure. We've had hot weather lately, and I've kept my ceiling fan on high. I just added a small floor fan near the nest, and that seems to keep mom happy. Here's a picture if needed

Another possible issue is that maybe it's because the kittens are starting to get teeth, and so maybe she doesn't want to feed as often?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Its time you begin to let them have food suitable for kittens It will be difficult in the beginning, but they see how mamma eats.   And soon enough one of them will try, and others will follow.

But.  When they begin to eat solids. their poo changes, and momma doesnt not longer eats it.   So they will need a shallow litter, with low walls, so they can easily climb inside.   Make sure its non clumping litter.  Important, because small kittens, alike babies tend to taste on everything.   And you dont want clumping litter inside them.