Concerned About my pregnant kitty

jewellz66

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have 7 kitties of which all are rescued feral kittens. That's another story for another time. I have been getting them all fixed as I can. It is cheaper to get the boys fixed so I did them first. Unfortunately my last male didn't get the memo that he was neutered and got my 7 month old female pregnant. I was quite shocked when she turned up pregnant. either way, my guess is she would have gotten pregnant around end of January as that is when he got fixed and she was went into heat then and was showing in mid February (she is a very thin cat, so her belly showed right away as did her nipples) and I been feeling the babies moving for about 3 weeks now. Well her babies were kicking really hard and moving a lot all up until yesterday, March 22, 2022. Now they don't move as much. I thought she was due around the 19th to the 23rd with my guessing. This coming Friday the very latest. I am getting very concerned with the babies not moving as much and her being so young. She is eating, drinking, does sleep a lot, doesn't like any of the other cats right now, but loves me a lot. She does have all her shots. I use advantage multi on my cats. I had them dewormed August & November and she just had a very bad bout of tapeworms about 2 weeks ago. So she was dewormed again. Yes I keep all my kitties inside only. I am a very good furbaby mommy and all my girls were scheduled to be spayed in April till this happened. But I am concerned about her babies not moving as much as they were. And her not having had the kittens yet. Should I be concerned? Or did I just get her due date wrong? And do babies move less as mommy gets more pregnant?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Kittens move much less at the end because they are bigger and more squished. They also get into position for moving down the birth canal. Less movement is normal at this stage. It sounds as though she is nearing the end.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, they all line up in the birth canal, and she may even seem a little smaller because of this. this is all perfectly normal. if she got pregnant at the end of January, she could very easily go into the first week of April. My cat went into heat then and didn't have them until the 7th! The waiting game is the worse. They will come when they are ready, remember as long as she is calm, not pacing and meowing constantly, all is well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jewellz66

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you both your replies! It is about 330am on March 26th. My kitty Baby started labor on 25th. I have 3 7 month old kittens and all day on the 25th she kept grabbing them by their necks and dragging them down the hallway to the room with her birthing box. Plus nursing one of them. I ended up having to just lock her up in the room for hers and everyone elses safety. I came in the room with her about 6pm and she was starting labor then. Labor didn't get real active till about 130am. She got up in bed with me and laid in front of me and wanted me to pet her and sing to her and hold her when she had contractions. But when that first baby started t come she ran, rolled, screamed, bit anything she could find, clawed everything, she freaked out! The baby came backwards. When it finally came out she tried to kill it so I had to intervene. I think it was more from the fear and pain of it. But I had everything ready just in case. She calmed down and I got her back in her box. calmed her there and then presented her the baby. She was very excited and went to caring for it. About 15 minutes after that she gave birth to number 2 and she did much better, barely made a noise. She took care of it purring the entire time. Then she had about a 30 minute break before number 3 came that one she let out a little holler but she did well. The kitten had some fluid so was struggling to breath, it was born totally incased in it's water sack? But mommy did well and I helped a little clearing it's breathing passage of the extra fluids. They are all fine. The first one at first thought had no hair, it's a creamish orange color...LOL the second one is a tabby with orange streaks on its head and the 3rd one is a white, orange and black calico. I am waiting on number 4 cuz I think there's 4? I will let you know how many there is and how mommy and babes are doing later. Thank you again for all your kind words and encouragement. Have a Blessed weekend!

jewellz66

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Right after I posted my last post, Baby (mommy kitty name) gave birth to number 4. After number was all taken care of I got back in bed and was laying there watching TV and would look over at Baby and her kittens now and again, I really thought she was done. I was making sure all of them were fine and I dozed off! I woke up 20 minutes later in a panic! And there was baby number 5! Now keep in mind this was a big oops litter with a very young mommy, a very recently neutered male and obviously first litter! I am now scared if I doze off again I will wake up to more kittens. LOL All joking aside, mommy and babies are doing very well. She had a from beginning a very light creamish orange kitten, then a tabby with orange streaked face, number 3 is a calico of white/black/orange, number 4 is a dark orange kitty and number 5 is white and tabby mix. The mommy is a lynx siamese mix and she has 2 faces one side is normal lynx siamese face the other side of her face is a blondish lynx marking. rest of her looks like the lynx siamese. But her mommy was a grey and white tabby it was her dad that was the pure bread that someone dumped. again another story on how I came about all my babies. I think Baby is done, she is sleeping peacefully nursing her babes, purring so loudly I can hear here across to me. Her belly doesn't look like it's contracting anymore so I think I can sleep now. Been a very long night. Good night everyone. I will get a pic of all 5 later
277177918_1194691614605523_1685231955593686384_n.jpg

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh. what a busy night, I am sure you are all exhausted! What a beautiful, precious little family, looking forward to more pictures. Give Baby a big kiss from me!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Be sure mom gets a dish or two of kitten formula daily for the extra calcium she needs for nursing.

Do you have a plan to spay and neuter the three 7-month old kittens soon? It’s definitely time!

jewellz66

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The one 7 month old is fixed already. Out of my 7 kitties I only had 3 left to get fixed and they were scheduled for surgery on April 27th. The place I was using affordable, it was soonest they could get my girls in. Well obviously that failed as did my last male getting neutured as he still a week after his neuture got the one female pregnant. I wasn't expecting that, at that time he was 7 months old. The 2 girls are still going in for surgery on April 27th and Baby is now scheduled for June 15th, her babies should be weened by then and there are No Males to get her pregnant anymore. LOL I will get mommy some kitten formula tomorrow, but I have been giving her Purina Probiotics and I feed my kitties IAMS Digestive which has prebiotics and probiotics and other extra nutrients in it. I also do not give my kitties tap water, they get bottled water and right now mommy is getting Electrolyte water with PH something or the other for hydration. I have always used that whenever a pet is sick and it always worked well. Mommy is doing well and any time I check on her she is purring away with her babes. She is a proud mommy.
277190083_769960010661586_8482617316372159560_n.jpg

jewellz66

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I will try to get better pictures of babies soon. But I don't want to bother mommy and babies to much. I know how momma cats can be about their babies sometimes. But here are a few pictures I took while she was having them. I have more But I don't want to flood you all with them. LOL
277177918_1194691614605523_1685231955593686384_n (1).jpg
277177918_1194691614605523_1685231955593686384_n (1).jpg
277233215_505328831302590_5786653527051062350_n.jpg
277019536_360408845975318_4523550279711264182_n.jpg
277111410_384753410092649_1062148061331241986_n.jpg

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow so cute!

Oh, Mom should be on kitten food only right now until she stops nursing, I don't believe that type is suited for nursing moms. Kitten or all life stages would be required in both wet and dry. :) KMR is really good to give, you can add water and mix it with wet food.

jewellz66

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Mommy finally let me change the bedding. Well I should say I caught her out drinking a little bit of water and I quickly changed the bedding. She wasn't impressed. But I was quick. As soon as I got babies back in the box she got in there and covered them like "MINE"...LOL That was first time I had caught her out. Most of the time she won't leave the babies. I been having to hold her food dish to her and she eats and then same with water dish. She has used litterbox a couple times. I am off to get some kitten milk cuz I don't think she is getting enough fluids and I am hoping this will get her drinking more. Anyone know how much I should give her of the kitten formula? She has diarrhea and had it before giving birth, that's why I give the probiotics and it was Vet that put her on it and the digestive foods. If not better by Monday I will call vet and get some Prescription Science Hill Digestive dry food and that always works. I just don't want her to dehydrate and loose her milk. So now I am in the next worry/panic. LOL

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kitten milk should be OK to give as much as she wants. It is cow's milk products that give cats diarrhea. If she won't drink it, mix a little in her food. Just have bowl of water near her nest, she may drink more if it is close.
I know what you mean about mama being protective. I had a feral mama that would charge you if you came within ten feet of her nest. Then she would move them. It was a little scary, she didn't want you neat at all. Oen time she moved them (only days old) into the back of our pickup. we found them when we were unloading at the dump. Thank goodness they were OK, but I bet it was scary and cold for them! She was mad then! She grabbed them and carried them off one by one when I laid them on a blanket on the driveway.

jewellz66

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
okay little confused. The kitten formula, It will or won't give her diarrhea? I am trying to get rid of diarrhea, not make is worse. :bawling:

jewellz66

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
to di and bob.... Am I looking at you correctly that you are friends of ferals? If you are does that mean that you have rescued ferals? Or you have a colony? Because if you do, that is the very beginning of my story on how I got my 7 furbabies and boy could I use help/advice before I have another meltdown of crying.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You know, kitten formula DOES NOT usually give diarrhea, only cow milk, or milk with Lactaid in it. Goats' milk is good too. But if it was my cat, for now, maybe you better stick with just water. Any new product can cause diarrhea. I have neutered/spayed countless cats in a 50 year period of taking care of cats. Her diarrhea hopefully will clear up in a few days, once her hormones settle down. What questions do you have? the best advice I can give is to spay/neuter ALL cats in your care to get them under control. One cat can have up to twenty kittens in one season. It soon spirals out of control. It seems to be a lot of money, but believe me, when you keep getting countless cats being born, the food bill alone is atrocious. Tame down those newborns and find them good homes.
I am trying to not get any more new cats, I am getting old and don't want to leave any homeless if I should die. We would love to be able to travel and can't with our three indoor cats that need medication every day, leukemia. We moved, and behold, here is a new cat that showed up and became pregnant. I was hoping it was a male! I had 6 after her litters, and one more to spay, in 5 days. I lost two a few weeks ago within days of each other to the road. so right now I have 3 inside and 4 outside cats. I have taken care of at least 15 at a time, mostly ferals. Any time a cat has to live outside, there is a lot of danger and a good chance they will die. If not from accidents, then disease. The only thing that keeps me going is seeing what a difference I make in their lives, and they all give me much more than I give them. Their love and devotion are limitless.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mommy finally let me change the bedding. Well I should say I caught her out drinking a little bit of water and I quickly changed the bedding. She wasn't impressed. But I was quick. As soon as I got babies back in the box she got in there and covered them like "MINE"...LOL That was first time I had caught her out. Most of the time she won't leave the babies. I been having to hold her food dish to her and she eats and then same with water dish. She has used litterbox a couple times. I am off to get some kitten milk cuz I don't think she is getting enough fluids and I am hoping this will get her drinking more. Anyone know how much I should give her of the kitten formula? She has diarrhea and had it before giving birth, that's why I give the probiotics and it was Vet that put her on it and the digestive foods. If not better by Monday I will call vet and get some Prescription Science Hill Digestive dry food and that always works. I just don't want her to dehydrate and loose her milk. So now I am in the next worry/panic. LOL
The vet may have given it because she wasnt nursing at the time. But now that she is it's important to feed her food that can be given to nursing cats. They lose a ton of calories nursing kittens so that's why its best to feed food that is for nursing cats. You can easily check the bag to see if it says if it's for pregnant/nursing cats via the feeding guidelines. Wet food would also be a very good idea as it will give her extra hydration and calories.

jewellz66

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Mommy and babies are doing well. I got my kitchen scales out this morning and started to weigh the babies this morning. I thought I would start by weighing them this morning and then this evening and then every morning there after so long as they are doing. The weights are all in Grams Tabby kitten 3.75 gr, Cream 4.75gr, Orange 4.45gr, Calico 3.60gr, Tabby/Calico Mix 4.95gr.
I am giving mommy a little bit of canned and I put her probiotics in it, I give her the kitten formula and she loves it, I been feeding her kitten chow since yesterday morning and the water with electrolytes in it. I checked one of mommies nipples this morning and she does have milk. LOL I had a Dr appointment this morning and afterwards I stopped at store and bought these measuring containers so that I can measure how much dry kibble and how much water she is taking in daily. I truly am I worry wart of a fur-mommy. In real life I am with my grandchildren also. And was with my children when they were young. It' a wonder I am not totally grey! My children have more greys than me, no lie. LOL Here are more pictures of mommy and babies from last night. She really is a good mommy. I rearranged her area because she doesn't want to leave here babies to even eat, drink, and I think she hold her potty as long as she can before using the litterbox. So I put everything much closer to her, in hopes she will come out and eat, drink and use litterbox more. I been feeding and watering her more than she does it on her own. Can we say spoiled.
277234399_354687653236362_9208551262751505829_n.jpg
277149449_362690025870071_2442174094241803474_n.jpg
277214504_653900229172412_2190561798242732799_n.jpg
277357552_644176016683030_7004225671679787225_n.jpg
277254380_389160572720406_6315134692844497849_n.jpg
277149449_570544457277520_3490134506376164148_n.jpg
277184044_481506983668555_661681599664693882_n.jpg
277410922_3103836159831336_8208767529821987250_n.jpg
277258281_504609624617720_6660501815127128857_n.jpg
277294902_360107756000804_867247966418710187_n.jpg

jewellz66

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You know, kitten formula DOES NOT usually give diarrhea, only cow milk, or milk with Lactaid in it. Goats' milk is good too. But if it was my cat, for now, maybe you better stick with just water. Any new product can cause diarrhea. I have neutered/spayed countless cats in a 50 year period of taking care of cats. Her diarrhea hopefully will clear up in a few days, once her hormones settle down. What questions do you have? the best advice I can give is to spay/neuter ALL cats in your care to get them under control. One cat can have up to twenty kittens in one season. It soon spirals out of control. It seems to be a lot of money, but believe me, when you keep getting countless cats being born, the food bill alone is atrocious. Tame down those newborns and find them good homes.
I am trying to not get any more new cats, I am getting old and don't want to leave any homeless if I should die. We would love to be able to travel and can't with our three indoor cats that need medication every day, leukemia. We moved, and behold, here is a new cat that showed up and became pregnant. I was hoping it was a male! I had 6 after her litters, and one more to spay, in 5 days. I lost two a few weeks ago within days of each other to the road. so right now I have 3 inside and 4 outside cats. I have taken care of at least 15 at a time, mostly ferals. Any time a cat has to live outside, there is a lot of danger and a good chance they will die. If not from accidents, then disease. The only thing that keeps me going is seeing what a difference I make in their lives, and they all give me much more than I give them. Their love and devotion are limitless.
I live in the country about 10 miles out. I have lived in my house since 2010. During this timeI had one kitten and 2 adult males dumped on me until covid happened. Since 2020 I have had in all including all the kittens born I bet without exaggerating over 30 cats dumped on me. I have very few neighbors around me. Only a handful and they aren't super close, only like 3 are. Because I am so far out I have all kinds of predators and I have also have a 2 legged predator! My house is on a hill and I have a deck that goes around most of it and theres lattice covers the bottom. I have put tarp on the inside of it and have made all kinds of houses for my ferals out of totes so they stay warm and safe. Feral moms are really quite protective of their babies even if you get them to trust you. They will tear you up before they let you near their babies, but at same time, if they get sick or unable to care for their young, they will bring them to you to care for them if they feel you as safe. But when that happened to me with 2 moms, I had 2 males take over raising the kittens and they are more protective and meaner than the moms are. Now that's a lot of cats to get fixed. And where I live got rid of programs for fixing ferals. They won't help at all. So I do my very best to save as many of the kittens as I can. But I can't save them all. I try very hard to get the moms to have the kittens at my house, but if anything happens, moms move them to the woods and the kittens one by one disappear before they are 3 months old. A mom that has like 6 kittens is lucky to have 1 to 4 kittens by 3 months and those kittens if I can get them before they are 5 months old are lucky to see a year old most don't see past 8 months old. This is totally killing me! I know what happens to all my ferals and I don't know how to keep them safe? If they would stay close to my house, they would have a much higher chance of survival but I can't make them stay in my yard. I am not going to quit feeding them and let them starve. These cats didn't ask for this life. I have a big heart but it breaks easily. Right now I am down to 5 ferals with one pregnant. But give it a couple months and it will be over 15 again. This is a like cycle that just keeps happening People won't stop dumping. And so it just keeps going.