Concerned about Blood results, even though vet didn't say anything.

kitsuneko88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone! I'm new here. I'm a little worried (understatement) about after researching somethings after my cat's blood results today.

I have an amazingly handsome 1+year old cat, I believe he's part Egyptian Mau/Calbi mix. He's a pretty small cat, his weight is at about 9-9.75lbs, he has the extra fur the goes from his abdomen to hinde legs, pretty speedy and very hyper. If we aren't playing with him, he's attacking our laps, picture frames and tearing up any paper that is out. 

But back to my concern...

I have a wellness plan with Banfield at PetsMart, I worked there for about 6 months and it seemed really convient to have him there since I knew half the staff. Today, he went in for a comprehensive exame and dental cleaning. They really didn't say anything besides that he has slight gingivitis. I took a look at his blood results though and he had a few things listed as abnormal in his blood work. In addition, when I took him in back in August he was at 9.6lbs and now he's a 9.25lbs (He hadn't eaten since 11:30pm the night before).

His not normal blood results where:

HCT: 49.2%

HGB: 15.1 g/dl

PLT: 142 10^3/ul

GLOB: 5.2 g/dL

I think most of these are a little fine, they are just a little abnormal. But the GLOB or Globulin seem rather high. I researched it a bit and I saw it was associated with FIP. Which then made me worry about the weight loss. His eating habits are normal for him; he scarfs his wet food but grazes on the dry food throughout the day and night. 

Does any of this seem strange, or am I just being a worry wart? He's my first cat on my own, and an only cat. So, I kind of spoil him like crazy; I may just be in over protective mom mode. 

Thank you for all your future help!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kitsuneko88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
HCT: 27 - 47

HGB: 8.5 - 15 

GLOB: 2 - 5 

from: http://maxshouse.com/Feline_Biochemistry_Normals.htm

I've seen a bunch of different results for the GLOB though... Which really concerned me because other sites said it was high and with it being high could be associated with FIP or Liver and kidney problems.  

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did the vet say anything? did the vet tell you to be concerned? These numbers are really borderline..... They are barely high.....
What did the vet say?
He is showing no symptoms of being sick. This is huge to take into consideration.

IMHO you are jumping the gun here. If kitty is not sick, the last thing I would think are those two options there. Before you get there, there is dehydration, there is diet that can affect some of these #s..... And there are many many things that can affect too - even a virus or a bacterial infection.

I know you see FIP, you read

FIP

But really, if your kitty is not sick...... ask the vet what she/he thinks and if the vet is not concerned, stop googling - Dr. Google can be awful sometimes :cringe:

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

kitsuneko88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Haha, I just needed someone else to tell me I was being crazy. But yeah the doctor said nothing about the levels, but again I read some where the normal GLOB level where a much lower number than 5. SO, of course I was like "OMG! MY BABY!" 

The vet just mentioned his gingivitis and then about the concern with his eye earlier in the week with it swelling a little. Which either had to do with something getting in his eye or something I was cooking. They did a flush and didn't find any scratches or wounds. She did say I should get some Lysine Powder that helps kitties that are prone to respiratory infections just incase. Which I bought and will be adding to his food in the next day or two after he's better from Todays/yesterdays visit. 

Otherwise he's fine, pretty active, even though they used anesthesia on him. Anytime they give him medicine or a shot and say "He may be a little tired", he never is. 

Monday he was a little lethargic, but it could have been because his eye was bothering him. I know when my contacts hurt my eyes I just want to curl up in bed until it stops bothering me. 

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Haha, I just needed someone else to tell me I was being crazy. But yeah the doctor said nothing about the levels, but again I read some where the normal GLOB level where a much lower number than 5. SO, of course I was like "OMG! MY BABY!" 

The vet just mentioned his gingivitis and then about the concern with his eye earlier in the week with it swelling a little. Which either had to do with something getting in his eye or something I was cooking. They did a flush and didn't find any scratches or wounds. She did say I should get some Lysine Powder that helps kitties that are prone to respiratory infections just incase. Which I bought and will be adding to his food in the next day or two after he's better from Todays/yesterdays visit. 

Otherwise he's fine, pretty active, even though they used anesthesia on him. Anytime they give him medicine or a shot and say "He may be a little tired", he never is. 
Monday he was a little lethargic, but it could have been because his eye was bothering him. I know when my contacts hurt my eyes I just want to curl up in bed until it stops bothering me. 
Oh no, you are not crazy! But I know how google is.... I am quite careful with it... It can drive one nuts!
So if I have any questions about a blood test and I am worried about it, I make sure to call the vet to discuss and ask all those questions to the vet.
In general, vets wouldn't do a procedure if they saw a red flag in the test, or if they thought he was sick, they would talk to you about it. But you can ask them if you are concerned.
I like paying attention to the kitty..... Is the kitty fine? The numbers can be a bit skewed..... For example, some of the numbers in my cats blood tests are higher due to their high protein diets - I am aware of those changes and I keep that in mind. Dr. Google would point to potential kidney problems :nod:

Just keep that in mind hun, many factors can affect those #s, call the vet before googling :wavey: