Concern with spay incision

ailvy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm new to the site and have been perusing the cat health forum due to concerns with my kitten. She is the first cat I have owned and had fixed, so I have some concerns with how the incision is healing.

She was spayed on the 4th and was doing well for those first few days before she gained her usual activeness back and began to run around stretch and jump on things despite my best effort to limit that. I have checked it every day at least twice to watch the recovery and it seemed to be okay, even when she had removed her cone when I left the room. Thursday (11th) it was crusty and what I assumed was scabbing and there was a small opening on either side of the incision. This past Friday (12th) she removed her e-cone again for a number of hours I am uncertain of because I was away. I assume she did it because the area was itchy and uncomfortable, the scabs were gone and her skin was really red. She is still wearing her cone and I checked the incision again Saturday morning when it looked less red but it still concerns me because that weird crusty/dirty look is back but it's like an ooze. I have read that is a sign of infection and maybe I'm working myself up but would rather be safe than sorry, plus I would rather have another opinion to either settle or solidify my worries.

I took pictures attached below (her lying down you can see the gap in the top of the incision and her standing, unfortunately, with my camera against my cabinets but shows the rest of my concern). My concern is the area is still red and given that it has been a little over a week after the surgery I am worried it got infected and have been fretting over the idea since Friday night. With her being my first cat, so I am unsure what a healing spay incision should look like, and with the issue of the vet being closed until Monday, I am in a spiral about it being infected.

Attachments

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It is redder than I would expect after 10 days, has she been licking it a lot? Is there a bad smell, is the oozing yellow pus. Are you able to send the photos to your vet for his opinion.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ailvy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes she licked it a lot Friday, for what I assumed was the majority of the day. I checked again this morning, the area is a soft pink and there is no oozing or smell.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
While it doesn’t look badly infected, it does look a bit rough, and the end looks like a stitch (or glue) may have come loose. I’d say a vet consult might not be a bad idea. If you can send pics to them, it might expedite the consult.