Conan loves his palm tree garden!

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Conan aka Shifferbrains, will be six years old this spring or summer more or less, but he still craves getting out a bit.

I’ll let him out, he’ll just roll and romp with delight for two or three hours, then come back in and nap all day.

Maybe you have a kitty that likes their garden? Show us!

01506898-6628-408B-AFF5-E4630C6F6BE2.jpeg

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
My two aren't really interested. Sundar thinks he should be, so he'll open the door unless I've locked it, or dart out when I open it. Then he stops, perfectly still and looks at me as if to say 'now what'? I just pick him up and bring him back in and he's happy.
However if they do go out, they're convinced the pavers are there for them
stepping stone cats.jpg

Nilah, however, will use the opportunity to maintain her Princess status by gazing at herself in the birdbath water
nilah garden.jpg

And then claiming her Goddess-ness
Nilah Goddess.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My other two cats don’t seem to care about being outside; they’re perfectly happy to lounge indoors all day. Conan tends to get restless and mess with them so I let him out for their sake too.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"Shifferbrains" -- an ORANGE cat -- doomsdave doomsdave ?!!:insertevillaugh:*Yes, we've heard those "orange cat" jokes.* He's very handsome.
mani mani , Nilah and Sundar, you have a beautiful yard! And I envy you your nasties (nasturtiums!). My mom loved hers, but they've disappeared, I'm afraid forever, under various gardeners' assaults. :sigh:

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"Shifferbrains" -- an ORANGE cat -- doomsdave doomsdave ?!!:insertevillaugh:*Yes, we've heard those "orange cat" jokes.* He's very handsome.
mani mani , Nilah and Sundar, you have a beautiful yard! And I envy you your nasties (nasturtiums!). My mom loved hers, but they've disappeared, I'm afraid forever, under various gardeners' assaults. :sigh:
Hmmm

I’m missing the orange cat jokes; maybe explain?

Hope i didn’t give offense.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmm

I’m missing the orange cat jokes; maybe explain?

Hope i didn’t give offense.
Oh, I thought that's why the nickname :lol: It's kind of folk internet cat wisdom (yes, that just may be a thing!) that orange cats are not the Mensa candidates of the feline world. Having shared life with several, I don't think there's anything in that and I wouldn't agree to it if there was :sniffle: but if you go on ICanHasCheezburger.com, you will see a plethora of orange cat memes about this. :redheartpump::gingercat2::redheartpump:

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I thought that's why the nickname :lol: It's kind of folk internet cat wisdom (yes, that just may be a thing!) that orange cats are not the Mensa candidates of the feline world. Having shared life with several, I don't think there's anything in that and I wouldn't agree to it if there was :sniffle: but if you go on ICanHasCheezburger.com, you will see a plethora of orange cat memes about this. :redheartpump::gingercat2::redheartpump:
Okay, thanks for the clarification! I missed all of that.

FWIW, I think Conan is one of the smartest kitties I've ever had. He's startlingly able to divine your moods and anticipate your actions so he can dart out the door. He follows commands to go in or out of a room almost like a doggie. His radar is sharply attuned to food in the offing.

What inspired "Shifferbrains" is that he's also, sometimes, like a very bright kid who's too smart for his own good, particularly when it comes to evading efforts made to try to keep him safe. Last summer, he got rolled by a car (the vet thinks) and got banged up badly, but not fatally. He had to spend a week at the vets till his condition stabilized. For a while after he got home, he didn't want to go outside, but now he feels the call of the wild again, if only for a short time.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, thanks for the clarification! I missed all of that.

FWIW, I think Conan is one of the smartest kitties I've ever had. He's startlingly able to divine your moods and anticipate your actions so he can dart out the door. He follows commands to go in or out of a room almost like a doggie. His radar is sharply attuned to food in the offing.

What inspired "Shifferbrains" is that he's also, sometimes, like a very bright kid who's too smart for his own good, particularly when it comes to evading efforts made to try to keep him safe. Last summer, he got rolled by a car (the vet thinks) and got banged up badly, but not fatally. He had to spend a week at the vets till his condition stabilized. For a while after he got home, he didn't want to go outside, but now he feels the call of the wild again, if only for a short time.
Ah. I advocate for keeping cats indoors only, like many if not all experts on cat behavior, including Jackson Galaxy. This world is just too dangerous and has too many health risks to allow them outside. If their indoor environment is enriched with many toys, climbing and scratching choices, windows, perches, beds, etc. and plenty of love and attention, cats do not need to go out. Since it only takes one time for a tragedy to occur, I will never let any cat in my care out.

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ah. I advocate for keeping cats indoors only, like many if not all experts on cat behavior, including Jackson Galaxy. This world is just too dangerous and has too many health risks to allow them outside. If their indoor environment is enriched with many toys, climbing and scratching choices, windows, perches, beds, etc. and plenty of love and attention, cats do not need to go out. Since it only takes one time for a tragedy to occur, I will never let any cat in my care out.
I agree about keeping the kitties indoors.

For the most part.

The huge problem is Conan gets restless and starts to torment the other older (in one case elderly) cats in the house. Plus, I have an evening ritual of feeding Conan and another kitty every evening with canned cat food, which, believe me, he makes sure not to miss! By evening, he's in again, usually long before evening.

I work out of home, so that helps, too.

When he doesn't ask, I don't make him go out. There are, I agree, dangers out there, heaven alone only knows. But he's smart and agile, and I think able to deal with the problems in the daytime. (Night is when the coyotes of doom come.)

My roommate and I both agree that giving him a bit of an outlet for his answering the call of the wild helps manage his energy. And, also reminds us of how we managed our younger selves.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree about keeping the kitties indoors.

For the most part.

The huge problem is Conan gets restless and starts to torment the other older (in one case elderly) cats in the house. Plus, I have an evening ritual of feeding Conan and another kitty every evening with canned cat food, which, believe me, he makes sure not to miss! By evening, he's in again, usually long before evening.

I work out of home, so that helps, too.

When he doesn't ask, I don't make him go out. There are, I agree, dangers out there, heaven alone only knows. But he's smart and agile, and I think able to deal with the problems in the daytime. (Night is when the coyotes of doom come.)

My roommate and I both agree that giving him a bit of an outlet for his answering the call of the wild helps manage his energy. And, also reminds us of how we managed our younger selves.
Since I have lost several feline loved ones to the outdoors (one when my parents were ignorant of the dangers and the others when my ex would not let me bring them inside) I am adamant on this.

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since I have lost several feline loved ones to the outdoors (one when my parents were ignorant of the dangers and the others when my ex would not let me bring them inside) I am adamant on this.
Yes, I generally am, too. Conan changed my mind, at least a little bit.

The things we do for love.

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So Conan went out again, today, the first time since this past Monday. He doesn’t seem to like going out on cloudy days.

Today was bright and sunny, and Conan has his romp and he’s back inside helping me with my editing.

630E87CB-D9E2-43A2-A4C0-3B7F43096851.jpeg

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Conan's gotten less mindlessly enamored of his trips outside. I think a big part of that is because Big Boy, an elderly co-habitant, is getting canned cat food when Conan goes out and he realizes it, and wants to stay inside. This morning, he went out -- then went right back in!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Conan's gotten less mindlessly enamored of his trips outside. I think a big part of that is because Big Boy, an elderly co-habitant, is getting canned cat food when Conan goes out and he realizes it, and wants to stay inside. This morning, he went out -- then went right back in!
There's nothing "mindless" about Conan. Clearly. ;)

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
An oldie, but Nobel and Lily outside in our previous gated garden before we moved to our current rental. No idea why Lily looks like she has no tail!

We let our cats outside supervised, but this new gen get harnesses too as they cannot be trusted to not jump. Nobel and Lily has balcony life before their elder years and I think believed this would cause a fall if they jumped too.

Attachments

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
An oldie, but Nobel and Lily outside in our previous gated garden before we moved to our current rental. No idea why Lily looks like she has no tail!

We let our cats outside supervised, but this new gen get harnesses too as they cannot be trusted to not jump. Nobel and Lily has balcony life before their elder years and I think believed this would cause a fall if they jumped too.
Beautiful garden and yeah, it's the angle of the photo that makes her look a bit tailless; but I can see she certainly has one :lolup: :hearthrob::bigeyes::hearthrob:

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
These boys do enjoy some garden exploits but Magnus is an "almost all seasons walk" kind of floor. He's like Conan doomsdave doomsdave , too smart for his own good. He also needs walks or he's a menace.

Attachments