Computer

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
My desktop bit the dust this afternoon. I thought it was going to die as it started acting funky yesterday. I managed to get most of my stuff to an external drive, so I should be OK. I'm working on getting another desktop because I really don't like using the laptop. I have my iPad, too, so all is not lost. Stay tuned!

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Pam, I was looking at Margret's quote and couldn't help but wonder if Molli found out that The Beast was in the she-shed first and considered that a form of meddling in the affairs of cats. :fear::angrycat: :lol:

I'm hope you find something you like. I'm in the market for a new laptop.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Pam, I was looking at Margret's quote and couldn't help but wonder if Molli found out that The Beast was in the she-shed first and considered that a form of meddling in the affairs of cats. :fear::angrycat: :lol:

I'm hope you find something you like. I'm in the market for a new laptop.
:flail::flail:It's entirely possible. That girl has her ways of letting me know when she's peeved. I always thought Banshee was the Queen of the Feline Glare, but Molli has it down to a fine art.

I've always had Dell desktops, so I went with another Dell. Ordered it last night and it should be here in a week. I know, I could have just gone to a store for a computer, but this way, I was able to "make" it the way I wanted. No monitor, as my 24-inch Dell monitor has been going strong for many years....*knock on wood*

We have a 17-inch Toshiba laptop; Rick uses it more than I do. I'm using it now and I don't like it. I'm used to my keyboard being below on a pullout shelf and this thing is on my desk. I don't like typing this way. I've never made so many typos!

Good luck finding your laptop.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could get a laptop and a docking station - that's what we use at work, with two monitors and a keyboard hooked up to it. I can't work on a laptop either. I've just gotten a monitor for when I have to work from home. I've tried it on the laptop and pretty much impossible.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
The hard drive also bit the dust. That's what started the whole thing. I have no boot drive. And now, it won't even turn on. I'm using the laptop for now. And my iPad. I'm thinking the new one should be here by the end of the week.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
This is the first I've turned the old computer on since it bit the dust about a week ago. I figured if I could keep it running long enough to copy everything over to the external drive, it would make things a little easier when the new computer got here. Well, wouldn't you know it! This blasted computer is working beautifully. No drive failures, no warnings, no nothing. It's been running since around 10 this morning. Goes into screen saver mode, comes back out. I don't get it. But I was able to save everything I really wanted to save.

I'll never understand computers. Never.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:argh: An intermittent fault! I detest those: it's practically impossible to track them down.

:alright: Sympathy. And congratulations on backing up all the important stuff!

Margret

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is the first I've turned the old computer on since it bit the dust about a week ago. I figured if I could keep it running long enough to copy everything over to the external drive, it would make things a little easier when the new computer got here. Well, wouldn't you know it! This blasted computer is working beautifully. No drive failures, no warnings, no nothing. It's been running since around 10 this morning. Goes into screen saver mode, comes back out. I don't get it. But I was able to save everything I really wanted to save.

I'll never understand computers. Never.
It could be a wire in the PSU or it could be in the mother board. This is what my old XP did about a week before the mother board fried. Intermittent. Worked fine, then it didn't, then it did again. Until it didn't anymore.
It's a good thing you got everything off of it. Before it goes completely, make sure you get your passwords from your browser.

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
This blasted computer is working beautifully. No drive failures, no warnings, no nothing. It's been running since around 10 this morning. Goes into screen saver mode, comes back out. I don't get it. But I was able to save everything I really wanted to save.
~ Wow ! Lucky you ... :clap2::compsurfing:

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
When does the new computer arrive? Margret
And therein lies the rub. When I ordered the thing last Saturday, Dell said I'd have it between July 19 and July 24. Well, I checked my email and am still in Confirmed mode. The thing hasn't even been shipped yet.

And I am not amused.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Just received an email from Dell that the computer has been delayed. The new shipping date is August 9th. Well, poop.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I really have no use for Dell these days. My husband worked for many years for a company that was bought out by Dell. Things quickly went downhill.

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
~ The "old days" - '95 - when Dell , Hewlett-Packard and Packard Bell were big names. Today I think Lenovo has a fairly good reputation.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Acer has served me well for the past few years. But the next one I get is going to be upgradable since computers change so fast.