Computer Shopping

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm done. It will be an iMac (all-in-one desktop) with a 21-inch screen, headphone jack, and memory card slot and 4 USB ports. Best Buy does not have any in stock and it can't be shipped to the store until May 21. At that time I will choose a more comfortable and faster mouse than the awful Apple one,.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My all-in-one ASUS desktop is dying. I am worried it will not last through the end of the month. It is only 4.5 years old, but the warranty expired and I need a better desktop anyway.

Mom keeps telling me I need to switch to Apple. I have always used Windows computers since I knew what the Internet is (think internal dial-up modems) and am worried I will lose the ability to do some things if I switch operating systems. How can I decide what to get?
I'm about as computer stupid as they come but I've always used Windows. I tried out an Apple and it was foreign. It was a nice, responsive, well planned system but some of the stuff made my head spin. Too techy.
How into techy stuff are you? Do you like new stuff or do you prefer the old things you're used to?

I remember those dial up modems. That telltale busy signal sends you into a rage and then you get that weird AOL sound that means connection and it was like all was right in the world! =D
(I had Windows 10. I absolutely HATED it and would routinely google "why Windows 10 sucks" because I got so frustrated and got back to Win7...)

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm done. It will be an iMac (all-in-one desktop) with a 21-inch screen, headphone jack, and memory card slot and 4 USB ports. Best Buy does not have any in stock and it can't be shipped to the store until May 21. At that time I will choose a more comfortable and faster mouse than the awful Apple one,.
an imac is an excellent choice!! :agree:

when i bought my new computer, that would have been 3 years ago come november, i originally bought a lenovo desktop (and i bought it directly from lenovo) -- which the cpu was literally DOA (dead on arrival), then received a replacement cpu -- which still had issues, and then tried an HP Envy desktop (bought directly from HP)...again that cpu and then the replacement cpu both had serious issues (a grinding noise while it ran -- from what i found online, that was the fan rubbing on something or other :headshake:). i came to the conclusion that many/most pc's these days are manufactured using cheap parts -- i did quite a bit of online research into it, at the time.

so, i decided to buy an Apple computer...because i believed that i could count on them. and i was right! i did buy the extended Applecare plan.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm about as computer stupid as they come but I've always used Windows. I tried out an Apple and it was foreign. It was a nice, responsive, well planned system but some of the stuff made my head spin. Too techy.
How into techy stuff are you? Do you like new stuff or do you prefer the old things you're used to?

I remember those dial up modems. That telltale busy signal sends you into a rage and then you get that weird AOL sound that means connection and it was like all was right in the world! =D
(I had Windows 10. I absolutely HATED it and would routinely google "why Windows 10 sucks" because I got so frustrated and got back to Win7...)
I would not call myself "computer stupid" after using Windows since 1997, but my ability to understand technical details (RAM, memory, speed, core, and processor) is really bad. The Apple guy (he is paid by Apple, not Best Buy) tried to get techy. I told him I don't know about any of that technical stuff. He talked about "Fusion" hard drives, but did not say explain why I need a quad core processor.

Yeah, tell me about it. After being idle for 20 minutes, AOL gave me a popup note it was going to kick me off. I was booted many times when I was ready to click on Send. Because I can't drive, I had to plan times with my mom for AOL to not be in use to keep the phone line open. Thank God for cable modems.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
That is crazy. What annoys me is people like to call this or that company good but it really isn't. People told me ASUS is a good company. The letters faded fast on a flat keyboard with no indicator lights. I had to replace the mouse batteries 3x in a year and replaced it with a wired mouse.The sound was so bad I could barely hear it, much less what people were saying, so I watched videos on mute. So much for, as they say in their slogan, "persistent perfection."

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would not call myself "computer stupid" after using Windows since 1997, but my ability to understand technical details (RAM, memory, speed, core, and processor) is really bad. The Apple guy (he is paid by Apple, not Best Buy) tried to get techy. I told him I don't know about any of that technical stuff. He talked about "Fusion" hard drives, but did not say explain why I need a quad core processor.

Yeah, tell me about it. After being idle for 20 minutes, AOL gave me a popup note it was going to kick me off. I was booted many times when I was ready to click on Send. Because I can't drive, I had to plan times with my mom for AOL to not be in use to keep the phone line open. Thank God for cable modems.
I used Win95 back in the day, and still consider myself computer stupid ;)
I remember that frustration with AOL and the kicking off thing. I'd see a friend on my "buddy list" I was dying to talk to, go to IM, and then be kicked off. That frustration can't be explained.
When AIM shut down, that last little part of my AOL soul died. =/ I used AIM about once every 6 years but it was the principle of the thing.
My ability to change stuff is terrible. I use win7 because win10 was too oriented to tablet users, and my desktop and I did not get along. I'm a creature of habit. My cats hate new litter, I hate new computer stuff. When it gets too technical, I throw in the towel. Some day I will be without one I'm sure..

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
Losing AIM was bad for me too. It was the only way to continue chatting with AOL friends after they all stopped going to a cat chat room called Feline Fancy. All I got left is AOL Mail.

I am terrible at change too. What does not bother other people drives me nuts if I don't believe a change was necessary.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Congratulations on your new computer! I hope you have many happy years together!

I started out many, many moons ago with a computer that used floppies. No hard drive. My first real computer had a 40 MB drive, which I blew out of the water quickly. I had Win 3.11, then went to Win 95, Win 98 (I think it was called), Win XP (I loved XP), Vista (hated Vista with a passion), to Win 8.1, now to 10. I like 10; it doesn't bother me at all to use it. I liked 8.1, too. But, you see, I went from Vista to 8.1; after using Vista, I thought I went to heaven with 8.1! I used to threaten to drown that Vista computer in the pool at least once a week.

Recently got a new computer at work; I had been using Win 7, but then went to Win 10. Our tech was surprised when I told him to go away, that I was fine with it. He's supposed to help people get used to 10, but it was no trouble.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
How could you miss Windows 7? Some people said they went back to it because it was so much better than 8 (and in some ways 10).

Luckily I never had 2000 or Vista. The complaints about 2000 were about catering to businesses instead of home users. I have no idea what was wrong with Vista. If people liked that one Microsoft would not have been in a hurry to design 8, one of the reasons people hated it.

I still miss Windows XP and 7, but there are some things to like about 10. It's just not a complete makeover after the 8/8.1 disaster or helping computers live longer so I have been disappointed with it.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
I picked up the computer today after choosing a mouse to use with it. The mouse, a Logitech contoured for the right hand, is bigger than I wanted but the only one I liked because the rest are wireless.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I almost went with Apple the last time but the price difference sent me back to a PC. Everyone that I know that made the switch prefers the Apple. They do last longer so the real price isn't as different as it first appears. I don't use a computer for that much at home so I don't know that it would be worth it for me.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I like Logictech mice. And keyboards. Right now, I'm using a Logictech wireless keyboard at work and at home. I also have a trackball at home that I use for graphics work.

I'm glad you like your computer! It's going to take time, but you'll get it. Kudos!

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
The guy I talked to at Best Buy confirmed Logitech is one of the top name brands for mice and keyboards. The only problem is I don't like any of their keyboards at Best Buy or on Amazon. They either have flat keys or are designed for gamers.