Computer Shopping

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
My all-in-one ASUS desktop is dying. I am worried it will not last through the end of the month. It is only 4.5 years old, but the warranty expired and I need a better desktop anyway.

Mom keeps telling me I need to switch to Apple. I have always used Windows computers since I knew what the Internet is (think internal dial-up modems) and am worried I will lose the ability to do some things if I switch operating systems. How can I decide what to get?

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always get pretty inexpensive laptop PCs because 1. they are cheaper and 2. I'm used to the OS. I figure if the computer breaks outside of a warranty it wouldn't be a big deal to replace it because it wasn't expensive in the first place. I also really only use my computer for the Internet, watching movies and writing, so I don't do a lot that would require a better system.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Depends on what you use your computer/laptop for. For me, I use my computer for pretty much everything except reading books. We have both a laptop and a desktop; Rick uses the laptop, while I like the desktop more. They're both Windows-based, with Windows 10. We usually spend more money on a desktop than we do a laptop.

I've often thought about switching over to Apple, but they're more expensive and their software, as a rule, is also more expensive (that's what I've been told anyway). And I have some older design/graphics programs that I don't want to get rid of and that only work on Windows.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd always used Windows based OS, but I bought a Macbook Air a couple of years ago, and I'm totally in love with it! I did get Microsoft Office for Mac though, as it's harder to send Pages (the Mac word processor) files to non Mac users. I use my computer primarily for the internet, plus a few documents and photo sorting/editing/storage. To me, at least, it feels far more intuitive than the Windows systems. I definitely prefer it.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Working in a school district that used Apple products for many, many years it was easier to get a Mac and I'm hooked. Both my kids grew up on Macs and love them. DH uses a Mac desktop and it's 11 yrs. old, still works well. :thumbsup:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
Eleven years? That is unreal. Mom just replaced her 7-year old Mac Book Pro and it did not take that long for my sister to get a new one (she uses the same laptop). A question I have about Windows computers is why did this one last only 4.5 years? I had computers that lasted 5 years.

Mom uses a laptop because she babysits my other sister's kids most days as a full-time grandma. You could not pay me to use a laptop.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
I use Apple but I'm also fully aware of how much this company loves to rip off its customers. But, I will continue using it because of the reliability and dependability of Apple products. Also, you just will not have to deal with constant updates, viruses, and people trying to hack into your computer. My current Macbook is going on 7 years and still works just as fast as day one (granted, I did change the hard drive last year because I broke the old one from a fall). So, although Apple products are expensive upfront, I think they are actually worth it because they last much longer than Windows platforms in my experience.

I wouldn't worry about getting used to the functionality of a Mac. They are way more user friendly than Windows computers. This is an advantage of them for people who are not very tech-savvy, but it's also a disadvantage for those who are tech-savvy because they are less personalizable. Also, if you need a particular software for work it may not be available on Apple, so make sure you check before you buy.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
What makes Apple more user-friendly? I have a cat-like purrsonality - very stressed out by changes that don't bother most other people and a big believer in the phrase "If it's not broke, don't fix it." So if it looks like I can't do something on Apple that is easy to do on Windows, I will go bonkers.

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
What makes Apple more user-friendly? I have a cat-like purrsonality - very stressed out by changes that don't bother most other people and a big believer in the phrase "If it's not broke, don't fix it." So if it looks like I can't do something on Apple that is easy to do on Windows, I will go bonkers.
It just has a simple interface. It's easy to learn. It will really depend on what you want to do with the computer and what programs you use. For most day to day things it won't make much of a difference.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Daisy6 Daisy6 - like you, I was really torn between brands when I was shopping for my laptop. I went to a computer store that sold both Apple and Windows models, and had each type set up so you could play a little and get a sense of how to access and use the core programmes. That might be a good option for you, even if you end up buying online or through another supplier. Nothing beats getting your hands on a computer and seeing how it works for you :)

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
I am really just torn between Apple and Dell because of the learning curve and fear I can't do everything with a Mac computer. A couple times I told Mom to click on this button or link to find something and she couldn't because it did not exist on her Mac Book Pro. Sure, it could be easy to learn, but why would I be able to do what a Mac user can't online? (She has Google Chrome, which is the most popular browser.)

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
For me, Mac made sense pretty much as soon as I tried it in the shop. Browsing is easier on the default browser (Safari) than on Chrome (which I also use on my Mac - I like to have a backup browser on all my devices ;) ). It really is personal choice though. If you can't try both out in a store, can you have a play on your mom's MacBook to see how you feel about it?

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
I am really just torn between Apple and Dell because of the learning curve and fear I can't do everything with a Mac computer. A couple times I told Mom to click on this button or link to find something and she couldn't because it did not exist on her Mac Book Pro. Sure, it could be easy to learn, but why would I be able to do what a Mac user can't online? (She has Google Chrome, which is the most popular browser.)
You can use Chrome on a Mac.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
You can use Chrome on a Mac.
I like Firefox and will keep using that. My worry is if I can do what Mom can't on her laptop, the reason is obviously our operating systems, not our browsers. Am I way, off base with this?

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
I like Firefox and will keep using that. My worry is if I can do what Mom can't on her laptop, the reason is obviously our operating systems, not our browsers. Am I way, off base with this?
It really depends on what you want to do. Also, Apple has really good customer service. If you have an Apple store close to you they will answer all your questions and also give you tutorials on how to use your new product.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
An Apple employee works at Best Buy, so I will go there.

I just use my coomputer for the Internet, word processing, and basic photo editing.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
3 macs died at about 8 year mark. my home mac, my work mac and my coworker's home mac. we got all 3 about the same time too. seems like 8-10 years is average for a mac.

I LOVE macs however. I find it easier to work on than PCs. of course, I've had macs for at least 20 years and barely touched a PC.

A mac can do everything a PC does.

But when my home mac died, I chose a PC laptop mainly because of the price point.

I have an HP Envy tablet/laptop all in one. It's a nice computer. I only wish I could calibrate the screen to match the colors for my graphics work more.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
If a Mac can do everything a Windows PC does, why can't my mom do everything I can online? I have to see it to believe it.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't want to get into the Mac/Windows debate, but I do want to mention that the price of desktops is much lower than a laptop. I was shocked in Best Buy about a year ago to discover desktops were going for a few hundred dollars and laptops were a few thousand dollars. Laptops are what everyone wants, so the price is higher.

I'm a Windows user myself, but my son and his wife have changed to Macs to avoid the virus/hacking situation. But lately, the software is so good on a PC now that you don't really have to worry about those anymore. Chrome and Windows blocks them out.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
I read the reason malware is not made for Macs is Windows is far more popular, so if most people had Apple,; its security would also be compromised. If that is true, it is not a reason to switch operating systems.

Laptops are only good for people who need them. The only advantage of a laptop - if you are rarely able to use a computer in the same room every time - is the ability to use it anywhere. So even if they were cheaper,. I would not consider buying one.