Computer question! Need help.

ttmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you should go with the IT suggestions. Purchase a new PC. You could reinstall everything on that PC afterwards and use it as a *hmmm, don't know how to say this* machine that you would only do less intensive stuff on. (ie. Games that don't take much, word processing only) Just anything that doesn't take a lot.

jeeperscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you want to install anti virus software to be on the safe side AVG do a free version for home users. If something you download has a virus AVG will detect it when you open the folder the infected file is in and will give you the option to 'heal' the file (delete it safely). This particular software is good because once you register your free download you can update the software free as well.

coco maui

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can buy a complete Dell computer for $500.00 now. Might be better to just get a new computer instead of replacing existing parts.

misscharlotte

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm a computer geek and love to tinker with hardware and software. Upgrading hardware or software is nothing to fear. It's quite easy to do. I've installed video cards, modems, printer ports, sound cards, hard drives, etc.

You could upgrade your processor but you have to make sure your motherboard supports it. Processors are not cheap, and for a little more money, you could get a decent system. 1.0 GHz processors were only available in 2000. Unless you were referring to your 1998 HP as having Windows 98. Your processor speed is proably more like 350 Mhz or 650 MHz.