Computer question for you all...

cheeseface

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally posted by Lucia
hydroax..

You do have to admire Real.com for their spying tenacity if nothing else when you use their software. I think they are one of the most annoying vendors around in that regard!
I agree. They are annoying. As for admiring their tenacity, well... okay, but only reluctantly.

cheeseface

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally posted by nighteyes
Thanks,
your post helped me, and I have Zone Alarm going.

If I a computer dummy can install and run this, trust me anyone can.
It's quite an eyeful to read, but I'm glad it was of some help. I got ADSL when our local phone company first offered it and I had to go through the pain of my computer being hijacked before technical help told me about ZoneAlarm.

hermoine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had zone alarm and the only problem I had with it was its sporadic connecting to my gaming site. I was playing on pogo a lot then and it would let me on in the morning but let me try to play at nite and if I could connect, I immediately got disconnected. I would have to disable ZA to play.
Now I am using the XP firewall. The only thing so far that I have found that I can't do is send files over MSN messinger.
I was told that Norton's firewall is good and is only $15.
I do believe, after using ZA, that you do need one at home on every computer. You never know who is going to try to get in and a password won't stop them from the internet end.
Well, if anyone cares, that is my 2cents worth on the subject.

myste

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm sitting behind our hardware firewall. We share 1 IP address between 6 computers, so we have to use a router/IP Masker. It's safer, but unfortunately it does interfere quite a bit when I try to use programs like Overnet or Edonkey (file sharing software)

dericiph

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Myste, hardware firewalls like you mention only mask/block info from coming in. they generally do not however block programs you have installed from talking out, wich in my opinion is the more dangerous of the two, ie credit card numbers, personal info, ect. Software firewalls are the way to go for security, i do like the sygate one mentioned here.

Also to answer some of the why doesnt it work questions, there are sections in most internet reliant tools that deal directly with firewalls, you just need to let you're program know that you're using one, and then let the firewall know you're using a program.

you should also run all the security updates from microsoft windows update, oh you also need to disable windows messanger, startbutton>settings>Control Panels>Administartor tools>Component Services

find it and double click, disable and change to manual.

hope this helps.