Computer game for a Cat?

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I got my first tablet ever.  It is a Kindle, not an iPad, so not all Apps that will work on an iPad will work on a Kindle.

Does anyone have any good Kindle type interactive games for cats?  The kind where the cat 'plays' with the App (not the human)?

Also, and just as important:  any recommendations for a screen protector in case Ritz likes the game (versus freaking out and running away).  I don't want her to scratch my screen.  (Yeah, I know clipping her claws is the first step.)

Thanks.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I got Jitterbug (on my iPad).  It's just bugs running/crawling across the screen.  Only one of my cats plays with it but she's sort of "meh" with it.  Actually, I play with it more than the cats!

But it was free, so, maybe that's a place to start?

No clue about the protectors - but you know they must have them.  If not, invent one and get rich!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a kindle.  The only game we've tried was a free mouse one.  The girls loved it the first time we tried it.  After that they pretty much ignored it so I eventually deleted it.  I think as kittens they would have been more into it.  The game also made random noises even when my kindle was just sitting here in sleep mode. 
  I read other reviews that the same thing had happened to other people.  They may have fixed that bug by now.  I hope!

I keep mine in one of the magnetic closure cases they sell for them.  It doesn't protect the screen.  I had considered both getting one for my kids to use on long trips in the car or just getting a better case for letting them use mine.  I opted to do neither in the end; but they do have out more and more boxes that are supposed to be kid proof.  I think Otter Box is the most well known name.  Fisher price has a box out now too.  I would think anything kid safe is cat safe.  I've not looked into other screen protectors.  One thing to consider is the weight and bulk the boxes will add to the kindle.  I think the Fisher Price one was the bulkiest I saw because it added a handle to it. 

Hopefully that helps you some!
  I usually read reviews and start with free ones myself as far as apps.  If it's a free one with ads and you turn off your wifi; they can't accidentally open the ads but it does make the games pause still. 

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love to mess with my girls using my smartphone. There are several free apps of various "cat sounds". My girls will run around and check everything in the house trying to find the fictitious intruders. Oksana will even run and finish off her food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for all your suggestions.  I'll look for the freebies first.

Interestingly, Ritz reacts more strongly (fearfully even) when she hears a baby cry than when she hears a cat meow (on commercials, tv).

maggieq87

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've got a kindle, too. I got a few free apps, ones not specifically for cats, it's just a loo pond but they like it. Heads ups though, my kitten is no OBSESSED with every screen in my house. My laptop, tv, phone. She now thinks they're all hers and attacks movement. My poor laptop has a big scratch on it now ans she's nearly pushes my tv to the ground! (im about to mount it).

Koi pond! Haha

Last edited by a moderator:

michelle745

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There's a video channel on Youtube called "Videosforyourcats". My cats love it. Sage likes the birds, and Maggie likes the fish. Friskies also has some cat fishing apps. Maggie will watch them more than play with them, but she does once in awhile interact with it.

Maggie's favorite thing to watch on TV is Painting with Bob Ross. I have no idea why. Sage likes Too Cute and the Animal Planet Puppy Bowl. She loves dogs.

lamiatron

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

There's a video channel on Youtube called "Videosforyourcats". My cats love it. Sage likes the birds, and Maggie likes the fish. Friskies also has some cat fishing apps. Maggie will watch them more than play with them, but she does once in awhile interact with it.

Maggie's favorite thing to watch on TV is Painting with Bob Ross. I have no idea why. Sage likes Too Cute and the Animal Planet Puppy Bowl. She loves dogs.
wow! definitely going to get out that YouTube channel! My charlie doesn't care much for videos, apps, or what have you, but my girl Jet is soo mesmerized by the boob tube. She'll stand next to it and look at all the moving colors and objects!

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Good idea about Youtube. I should see first if Ritz is 'into' cat games on the computer screen before I find an App for my Kindle.
She does like to walk across my keyboard....
Thanks.

lamiatron

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Good idea about Youtube. I should see first if Ritz is 'into' cat games on the computer screen before I find an App for my Kindle.
She does like to walk across my keyboard....
Thanks.
i think its encoded in all cats' DNA to walk across key boards....

So annoying lol. Yea try some youtube videos first, and get a handle for whether or not your kitty will like "cat games" my charlie and Jet could care less for them. But Jet does like to watch tv. 

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

wow! definitely going to get out that YouTube channel! My charlie doesn't care much for videos, apps, or what have you, but my girl Jet is soo mesmerized by the boob tube. She'll stand next to it and look at all the moving colors and objects!
We just got a Roku box recently and there is a free cat channel on there.  Cat TV I think it's called.  I have had to turn it off before the girls dove in the screen!!  They like both the fish and the birds; but the birds get them most excited.  I haven't tried any of the other animals unless they were in a clip with the birds.  I haven't looked to see how else the channel might be available.  It's been fun for us!

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you go to the Google Play Store (assuming you are using Android on your Kindle) there are several apps for cats to play with. One is fish, another is flying bugs. I tried them with my cats, and when they couldn't feel the bug they were trying to catch, they lost interest. I uninstalled them both after about 5 minutes each.

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks. I'm not using Android on Kindle, don't know how and don't want to get into 'rooting' (?).
I'll see if I can find some games that I can download onto my laptop. I do know I played some 'cat' DVDs on my television (fishes swimming, and the like) and Ritz was totally bored. She sleeps on my lap while I'm wating television or movies. Only reacts when she hears a baby cry, but rarely if she hears on the tv a cat meow. (Totally different response if she sees a strange cat walking across the back patio.)

lamiatron

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks. I'm not using Android on Kindle, don't know how and don't want to get into 'rooting' (?).
I'll see if I can find some games that I can download onto my laptop. I do know I played some 'cat' DVDs on my television (fishes swimming, and the like) and Ritz was totally bored. She sleeps on my lap while I'm wating television or movies. Only reacts when she hears a baby cry, but rarely if she hears on the tv a cat meow. (Totally different response if she sees a strange cat walking across the back patio.)
seems like your cat can tell the difference between whats real and whats not  

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Maybe. And I get the impression that in her first home as a kitten she had a bad experience with the cries of babies and broom/shovels. (She, her litter mates and mother cat were dumped in December and suffered through two heavy snow storms.)

lamiatron

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
poor kitties :(

My Jet has been a stray kitty since she was 1 month old..or even less. She was a mess when she came home with me. Not socialized AT ALL socialized, and still skittish to this day. So consider yourself lucky that Ritz is only a scaredy cat when it comes to those two things. 

The fact that Ritz can tell the difference between real and not real...might mean the computer games would be useless on her haha

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She was rescued by a friend of mine who has lots of experience with cats. The stayed at her house. I went over around four times a week to help socialize them, never having been around cats before.
My friend didn't own a television set (still doesn't), and to my knowledge, the first exposure Ritz had to a tv was my playing an exercise tape.
Perhaps that explains her lack of interest in television (she has a little more interest in playing!)

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OK, I understand. My nook has a SDHC micro card that boots it into Android mode. When I boot up, I can choose to go Android or nook. I have apps that work best in each mode.