compunded mini melts methimazole question

emmabelle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat had been on a liquid version of Methimazole (.5ml) for years from Covetrus. In December my vet said he couldn't order me any because Covetrus wasn't making it anymore so we decided to try 5mg of a compounded mini melt of Methimazole instead.

I started giving my 16 year old cat these mini melts version of his med from December to halfway through March. During this time he seemed to not be himself, little interest in food, sleeping a lot, lost some weight. I figured it was just his age.

When I needed to reorder his meds, Covetrus was out of stock of the mini melts. I asked my vet if he could put him on Felimazole (5mg) instead because they were coated and tiny so easy to pill him. I've been giving him the Felimazole now for two weeks and he started acting like himself again? Could there have been a problem with the compounded mini melts? Maybe not the right about of methimazole in them? It's just really weird. I'm thankful that he seems better but feel like what if I was under medicating him for 3 months?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Without having had his thyroid checked before starting Felimazole to see where his T-4 was and to compare it to previous readings, there is no way to know if the mini-melts caused the changes in him or not. Tbh, at this point, he probably should be rechecked anyway since he has changed meds, just to see where his level is at now. Periodic T-4 checks are usually standard protocol anyway. As long as his T-4 is good now, the problem - if there was one - has been corrected.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

emmabelle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
he's due this month to have his levels checked, it was good a year ago, hopefully it still will be, fingers crossed. :)