Compulsive Grooming, Lack of Play

chocolatemint

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I'm new to this site and probably should go make an intro post but I want to get some advice first.

So I adopted a Domestic Shorthaired from my local animal shelter/control two months ago. She's about 4 years old and have quite the overgrooming problem. Sophie, her name, basically look like she's not wearing any pants. The people at the shelter said that her fur hasn't been growing back and said it could possibly be from stress from living in the shelter for a few months. She also tends to eat really fast and regurgitating afterwards. I took her to the vet and he said that her excessive grooming could of possibly happened before she got entered at the control, and suffered from a massive environmental change as she used to have a family then she only had her sister, then it was just her in the end. I came back to him about a month later after seeing her fur still the same, or worst, seeing how she has a lighter spot now. (She has "blue" fur.) He wants to rule out any possible allergies so he told me to put her on a single protein diet, though he didn't explain how. Since Sophie loves duck, I started to put her on duck, with NV's Instinct LID Duck.

For her behavior most of the time, she always seems like something's out to get her or just lazes around. Most of the time I see her, she's always licking herself. I researched a bit and suspect that it could be a compulsive behavior. So I try to play with her more, spend more time, keep on a specific schedule of her feeding (1/3 of a can of LID Duck 3 times a day). Her frantic running at night has slowed, but she still grooms herself too often. I set up a place for her to climb, but she doesn't go up. I tried to play some bird videos for her to watch, Not interested other than relaxing to the sounds. She likes to play with the string toy I drag around that's about it. But she doesn't like to pounce on things, go under cardboard boxes. I'm also trying to get her to scratch on the curved scratcher I bought for her, it's taking it's time but she still likes my carpet.. Sometimes she will bite me twice after I stop petting her on her flank.

I'm just mostly loss on what I can do for her. I will get her a cat tree once I organize my room. And her eyes always seem dilated. 

This is Sophie (say hi~)

And... this is her backside. 

I'm really sorry for the long and boring post, any advice would be great.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Your post is not at all long and boring.. You're talking to cat people here!

And welcome to TCS..

The disinterest in things is probably because she's not settled yet.  But it does sound like she's getting there.. Would you say she's improved?

I find find distraction, as much as is possible, when she's grooming is good. 

Go with what she will do.. dragging the string toy around for example.

A cat tree is an excellent idea and the sooner the better.  I've seen great changes in cats that have something to scratch and climb. Getting up high and looking down on things from a comfy place is great therapy for a timid cat.

A Feliway diffuser might help to settle her.

Are her eyes green?  She has a bit of the look of a Russian Blue about her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chocolatemint

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
For the first week, she hid under the table, behind the closet. Id say she did improve. Sophie has better control of her food, and she explore more around my room.

Yep those are light green eyes. A lady at the shelter suggested me to get a blue type cat because I have very mild cat allergies.

How long would you think she needs to settle in? I adopted her on March 14th (Pi day!) She also did sleep with me on the first night.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
It's really hard to say how long, but the fact that she's improving is great.  I'd be getting the cat tree asap.. they higher the better and with lots of places to sit, if possible.  And the pheromones - it they work they can be excellent.

There is a school of thought that Russian Blues have less of a protein in their saliva that causes allergies.  But Sophie is definitely not purebred - she has different fur for a start - but it wouldn't surprise me if there was a little of it in her.  One thing about RBs is that they can be shy and take a while to bond.  That can be the case with many cats, especially since you can't know her past and anything could have happened to her. 

With time, love and patience she should come around. I know it seems a long time but two months isn't really, in 'cat time'

chocolatemint

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A quick update on Sophie. 

I have bought her a kitty tower which has a scratching post and cozy for her to hide in, as well a place to climb up. It's not as tall as a tree as I'm still in the process organizing my space. She doesn't seem to express much interest in it. It also has some dangly balls (-giggles-) but she doesn't seem to be playing with it. I'm going to try to give it another week since I do have the return receipt. I sprinkled plenty of catnip and rubbed it over the post. I tried to attract her to it by dangling the string near it, but nothing so far. I placed her bed in the cozy to attract her to spot, nope. Sophie pretty much spends most of her time on my bed and judges me. I have not gotten her a diffuser yet, I'm not sure if she still stressed but she is still grooming herself like.. every couple of minutes when she's awake. A manager at Petco suggested I spray bitter apple on her flank, but I don't want to like. make her dirty/hurt her. 

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds to me like she is going to need time and patience to get through this.  It can take some cats a while!  

I have one who over-grooms due to stress.  We were about to put her on medication for it; after months and months of trying to solve the issue, when she had some heart trouble start so that became our main focus.  During that time I asked my vet if calming treats were ok to try.  She looked at the ingredients and ok'd it.  She was curious if they would help too.  And they did!  I wish I'd considered them earlier on!  She gets one treat a day. They are kind of big; so I cut them into thirds and she gets 2 in the morning and the last piece in the evening.  It seems to work the best for her that way.  You might consider talking to your vet about something along those lines.  But I do think she needs more time to settle in with you too. 

Good luck and keep us updated! 

chocolatemint

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My vet currently want to test her for any allergy to some proteins, so I currently have her on Duck for the time being. I checked out some calming treat and alot of em have chicken liver. What brand would you recommend?

Sophie got on the tower to lick up the catnip on her own last night :3! Though through our the night she attacked the catnip greenies (´△`)..