Compostable Cat Litter?

ebrillblaiddes

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'll soon be moving (yes, again--but this time a short distance) into an over-garage apartment with backyard access. I have gotten the go-ahead to get a garden and compost heap going and it occured to me that a lot of contents of a litterbox are basically fertilizer...but a lot of the content of many kitty litters are gross chemicals that do not belong in my tomatoes.

My cats are pretty tolerant of litter changes so I'm not worried about that. I just need something that is biodegradable with no chemical additives and will make it not smell like a litterbox. Would wood chips like I used in hamster cages as a kid be a good idea? Or is there a product out there like this?

Thanks!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can compost litters and cat feces for use in flower beds only. You cannot use it in gardens even though you probably are already infected with toxoplasmosis. But just in case you aren't, just don't risk it.

Corn and wheat based litters will break down easily, as will the paper one yesterdays news. I'm not sure about using the pine litter for composting - it will break down but it could make for a very acidic compost.

All of your veggie scrapes, a bit of newspaper, grass clippings, leaves, etc will be garden compost safe, though.