Complications Of Having Him Neutered?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow! I thought the vet that neutered Scotty did a real hack job, but it was nothign like that! My vet is a farm vet, too, and he does decent cat spays/neuters. Not lapo or laser or anything cutting-edge like that, but he does a decent job. I know everything looks worse on a light-colored cat (can't see the blood on a dark cat), but still.....

Plus, I can't imagine WHAT was bleeding so much they couldn't stop it. As I understand it, there's not much to bleed on a male. Just slit to scrotum, snip the testicles out, and done. Most vets don't even stitch males. I wouldn't use that vet again for any surgery.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Willowy

Wow! I thought the vet that neutered Scotty did a real hack job, but it was nothign like that! My vet is a farm vet, too, and he does decent cat spays/neuters. Not lapo or laser or anything cutting-edge like that, but he does a decent job. I know everything looks worse on a light-colored cat (can't see the blood on a dark cat), but still.....

Plus, I can't imagine WHAT was bleeding so much they couldn't stop it. As I understand it, there's not much to bleed on a male. Just slit to scrotum, snip the testicles out, and done. Most vets don't even stitch males. I wouldn't use that vet again for any surgery.
I agree. I don't think the vet that did that botched job is being honest with you. For him to even give antibiotics, he knows he screwed up and is trying to fix it with antibiotics.

I would be making fast tracks with my cat to the other vet.

plebayo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Not lapo or laser or anything cutting-edge like that, but he does a decent job. I know everything looks worse on a light-colored cat (can't see the blood on a dark cat), but still.....
Well that's the thing, you don't have to do laser to do a good job! Our vets use scalpel blades, they carefully cut one of the sacks open, grab a testicle with the hemastats, cut it off, tie a knot and everything gets tucked back inside. My cat was a little sore the next day but didn't notice anything. We don't do anything fancy and I know we've had a couple bleed before, if the testicle doesn't knot/tear properly [there's a motion they do before cutting I can't explain it haha] but I'm sure we just cauterized the knot itself... not the entire cat. I think it's a matter of the vets expirience... maybe he doesn't neuter a lot of cats? I dunno but that pic just looks wrong.

nance

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Something sounds off, maybe just my thinking.

1) The lump where they tied it off ?? Someone may explain better, but where the incision is located on a neuter to "tie off" is not near the lump. How can that be?

2) Why give an antibiotic injection? Does he suspect infection even though everything is ok??

Thats what I was think....he must have thought something was "wrong" if he gave antibiotics....
Did the vet check to see if he was urinating ok and there was no problems with his penis....?
I 'd keep a close eye on him ...

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Many years ago we adopted a cat from a shelter and had to take him to the animal hospital they had an arrangement with to be neutered. Although not as graphic as your pictures, the vet who performed the surgery also botched it. We did not know what was wrong but definitely knew something was not right and 'immediately' took him to another vet. Sure enough, the surgery was poorly performed and we did not hesitate to let them know it. In the end everything turned out ok for the kitty but it was absolutely unnecessary and we felt awful that he had to endure this.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had males done before and none of them ever looked like that - he needs to be seen immediately (and a different vet too).

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

I've had males done before and none of them ever looked like that - he needs to be seen immediately (and a different vet too).
i agree - i've never had a male neutered [Chip came that way] but not even my girls looked half as scary - & spaying is typically much more invasive a procedure.
sending & for your sweet George to heal quickly & well!