Completely clueless

wannahelp

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I love animals and I've been around dogs all my life. There are always stray cats in my neighborhood that I'd like to help. I would at least like to be able to take them to a no kill shelter. However, I know nothing at all about cats. I don't know how to approach them, to possibly get a cat into a crate, or anything about trying to rescue a cat. I don't know how to tell if a cat is feral either. The only thing I do know is that some cats carry diseases that can be transmitted to humans. I joined this forum to hopefully learn how I can help he strays in my neighborhood. I would appreciate as much info as possible.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The best way to learn for you at this moment is prob just to be around, read in the treads, also older treads. Participate where you can... :)  Your profound knowledge of dogs is NOT wasted here. Much can be compared with cats. Many adopters of rescued cats do have already dogs, so info on how to get them to be pals is always welcome.  Ie the dog ways...
 The only thing I do know is that some cats carry diseases that can be transmitted to humans.
Im not sure what examples you do have.

As far as I know, there isnt actually much.  Toxoplasmosis (?) is mentioned sometimes, but it is only partly true.   Pregnant women can get toxoplasmosis from the cats poo/ litter. But the remedy is easy if there is someone else home. Let someone else scope the litter while you are pregnant. Or having gloves and a handkierchief over your mouth.

But you can get toxoplasmosis also from other sources, the parasite is also living in dirt/earth.  So the by far most common way to get infected by toxoplasmosis is by groceries and fruit not washed well enough...

Anyway, the most important to know for a well wishing new be.

Many do give them food by pure compassion. Sweet and well, but it is not enough. You must have a plan with it.   You must be sure they are neutered. Otherwise you should help them with to be neutered - the so called TNR.  And or adoption.

Read on, do ask, it is easier for us to answer specifical questions.   :)

Warmth welcome to our Forums!

Good luck!

suzi saul

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You don't really have to worry about diseases (unless scratched/bitten)...just wash your hands after an interaction. Be careful not to try to pick up a cat that is even a little bit nervous. I do test runs when picking a cat up for the first time...1 foot off the ground, then back down they go (and work higher as they allow) Even trying to pet, be careful!! You can put hand out and see if it comes to you once it knows you. If it wants to be pet, it's probably just be a stray. Ferals take work and patience to socialize. Kittens are easier, but even then they can be tough. :) 

if you have a cat, you should always get any new furry ones tested by vet and dewormed before allowing them to meet, as cats can have diseases/parasites that spread to other cats. 

So I guess my best advice is to be careful, don't try to force any interaction, and wash your hands. Alley Cat Allies has a lot of great information on their site. Do a search for cat body language and look for pictures so you can see how a less than trusting cat looks. :)

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don'y know of hardly ANY diseases cats spread to humans, other then ringworm, but dogs and many animals can do this also. You may want to research this on the internet, I think you'll find dogs spread just as many. Feral cats usually will not let you get close and run away as soon as they see you. A lot of tame cats are scared of people too though. If you can pet the cat, or get close, it's probably one of your neighbors pets. I'm curious, why do you want them gone?

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 I'm curious, why do you want them gone?
I don't think she wants them gone, just tips on how to help them and possibly rescue.

Don't know where you are located, but have you looked around to see if there are any TNR organizations in your area? They could be a great resource for you and help.

siscokity

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, find a shelter that is no kill and you can get a trap, it is long, you put a can of food in and cover with a towel and wait, then you can take it to get spayed TNR
Trap, Neuter, Release . Some will take the cat from you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wannahelp

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
There is a cat that has been coming to my house for a few days. There have been contractors at my house and evidently they've been seeing but just told me today. The cat almost walked right into the house. It's not afraid of people, obviously. It seems a little small. I don't know if that's from lack of nourishment or because it's young. I gave it some food and it seemed very hungry. It has been around in the morning but I think I've also seen it at night. I think it's lost or homeless. I live in NJ. I want to bring it to a no-kill shelter but none of them seem to be taking any cats. It's really cute and if I had other living arrangements, I'd adopt it myself. I am still looking for a no kill shelter or some type of rescue. The cat had a home at some point and I really want to do something for it.
I was going to buy a crate but I have no idea how I'd lure in there. I don't think food would work. I don't want to traumatize it either. I can't put a leash on it and put it in the car though.
What should I do?
Also, it's starting to get cold outside. If it's only here during the day, I can put a box and blanket out but if it doesn't come back at night, then what? I don't know if it was an outdoor cat, so I don't know what kind of temperatures it can handle.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Helping it means more than feeding it and providing shelter.  You need to make sure it is spayed or neutered.  If it is female and not spayed, you will have kittens before you know it.  If it's male and unneutered, he may try to spray to mark his new territory and may end up in fights with other males, causing injuries to both.

A small doghouse filled with straw will help keep him or her warm.  (Blankets tend to wick moisture and mold).

Ask the shelters if they know of a low-cost spay/neuter clinic.  Once he or she is fixed, you can decide what to do next.  Thanks you for helping!