Comparing Wet Foods

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Good point regarding the different ingredients, I'm definitely going to try the boar, :)

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't remember exactly when we took him, but we did bring Frost to the vet after he stopped eating. They looked him over and did blood work and said he was fine. And he acts fine in every other way. He hasn't lost a ton of weight either. It was about a pound, but I don't think he's lost much, if any, weight since then. It is hard with the two of them. What I do to help one thing can hurt the other.

Yeah, I don't think I could give my cats as much as they wanted. Well, I would probably give Frost as much as he wanted if I ever saw him actually eat all his food. I don't really know how much he eats because he goes and cleans out the other two's bowls and will pick at his own a little.

I think I'll try breaking up their meals, but I'm not sure exactly how I'm going to go about it just yet. I could manage at least three, possibly four meals, but I don't have much time in the morning. I get up at 6:30 and leave at 7:30. Then I'm back at 3:00, so I could feed them then and again later.

I kind of figured that. I'm not sure the exact amount of dry they're getting since I've altered it multiple times and they end up eating each others food. If I had to guess, Frost probably gets a cup (that he doesn't eat) and the other two a bit less. Frost doesn't eat much so I decreased the amount of wet he gets and managed to get the other two to have no dry for that meal. I'm probably going to increase the amount of wet they get though.

I think my cats will be able to manage rotations all right. They don't usually have a problem, but I'm going to take it slow to begin with. They'll be changing quality of food too, so I don't want that to upset them.

All right, thanks! It's been put into consideration.

I guess we'll see if my cats are picky though I don't think we'll rotate much. We'll get them on a better food and rotate with Friskies for a while. Maybe add another brand or two.

I think I might go with Tiki myself and possibly Weruva. Those two have come up a lot and seem like pretty good foods. I'll keep the others in mind in case those two don't go over well though.

How long does Dr. Elsey's last you? It's come up quite a bit in my search, but it's not cheap by any means.

I don't think I'll be free feeding since Ember is already overweight. It's a nice idea, especially for Frost, but I'm afraid she'll feel the need to try to eat it all at once and make herself sick. I don't know where I'd be the bowls either. The dog will eat their food and my room is the only room she's not allowed in, but I can't guarantee she can't get in there since she's around the same size as the cats.

Thanks for the links!

I think I will break up their meals, but it'll only be three, maybe four meals. I'm still working on figuring it out though. I'm not sure how to transition them from two meals to three or more.

I have considered separating them. Ember eats in my room now, but I don't shut the door. It has helped though. I've found she isn't quite as tempted to leave her own to eat the others and will usually finish her own off which means Frost can't get to it. It takes him a bit longer to work his way in there too. However, my problem is that they tend to leave some food. Frost in particular, but Ash too and sometimes Ember. So I'd have to lock them up in separate spaces for quite some time for them to finish their food and even that's iffy. Frost isn't being kicked out of his own food bowl or anything, he's just not eating it. He'll walk away, wait until my back is turned, and go eat someone else's. The other two will do it too, but the difference is they eat theirs first. Sometimes I wonder if I switched them if they'd end up at the right bowls.

I have seen a lot of chickpeas. And just plain peas. But still a lot of potatoes.

All right, thanks! Those foods have been put on my consideration list and I'll keep the advice in mind.
with my 4 cats, and two wet meals a day 1 bag last me 6 or 7 weeks, thats a guess, because i always forget to write the date i open it. my two boys eat it, but they eat more wet, 1 girl eats about half wet, n half dry. The other girl eats only dry. she just will not eat wet. All together they eat less than 1 cup per day, maybe 3/4 cups?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think smaller, frequent meals are better that huge ones or twice a day. What I normally do is feed my cat 4/5 times a day -- after waking up, before leaving the house, after arriving, before going to bed. Sometimes I leave food for him to eat while I'm gone or I'm sleeping. But all those meals are measured and small.

I think leaving dry food will most likely hurt your already overweight cat because most dry foods are incredibly high in carbs. How much of dry food do you feed?

I do rotate foods. I never really transition like so many articles say I should. The most I've transitioned is 3 days because it was raw food. I try to keep in mind what he's had so that he can get new proteins/brands at least every other day 'cause I wouldn't want to bore him with his meals. Lately he's been refusing his raw food and has reverted back to being a kibble addict /sigh
I checked the amount I feed them and I'm still not positive it's completely accurate, but it was less than I expected. I think I give them 1/3-1/2 a cup, give or take a little.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a goof - hang in there with this guy!!
That he is. He's an odd one, but very sweet. I'm hoping better food will get him eating again. He did eat at least most of his dinner today, so that's good.

with my 4 cats, and two wet meals a day 1 bag last me 6 or 7 weeks, thats a guess, because i always forget to write the date i open it. my two boys eat it, but they eat more wet, 1 girl eats about half wet, n half dry. The other girl eats only dry. she just will not eat wet. All together they eat less than 1 cup per day, maybe 3/4 cups?
All right, thanks. That helps put it into perspective.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I went ahead and got Wellness Core dry food and Nulo wet today. I didn't realize all of the Nulo had fish in it though so I probably won't get it again or at least not often. Fortunately I only got a couple of cans so I don't think it'll hurt them. They've had fish before. However, I accidentally grabbed a bag of kitten Wellness food. Guess that'll teach my to pay more attention to which bag I grab. Is there anything actually wrong with giving them kitten food though? I know you have to watch how much you give them, but I was wondering if there was anything else. It's more curiosity though. I'm not giving them much since we just started it and I don't intend on getting it again.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dont think there is a problem with the kitten formula at all, normally just a bit higher is protein, fat and calories. As long as no one is allergic to fish the nulo will be fine too. My guys like fish, so they get it maybe more than recommended by many these days. Especially if it is not the top ingredient i would not worry. My guys do like the Nulo minced turkey and duck, no fish in that one.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We feed ours Fancy Feast kitten for a month or so. They habe been on dry food for almost a year.
The kitten we just got that is very young, is on a mixture we make of Authority chicken wet and kitten formula

you haven't seen this site , it's very good

CatFoodDB - Cat Food Reviews to help you find the best cat food for your cat
All right, thanks! I have actually seen that site, but I was wanting to find again.

I dont think there is a problem with the kitten formula at all, normally just a bit higher is protein, fat and calories. As long as no one is allergic to fish the nulo will be fine too. My guys like fish, so they get it maybe more than recommended by many these days. Especially if it is not the top ingredient i would not worry. My guys do like the Nulo minced turkey and duck, no fish in that one.
Thanks, I didn't really think there should be a problem with the kitten food. We've heard that fish can be a problem for cats with UTIs though. I don't really know anything about it, but I'd rather be safe. Ash has had quite a few UTIs so I don't want to do anything that could cause another. Making sure he gets enough water seems to keep them at bay though. Neither have fish had the main ingredient, but one is higher than the other.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All right, thanks! I have actually seen that site, but I was wanting to find again.

Thanks, I didn't really think there should be a problem with the kitten food. We've heard that fish can be a problem for cats with UTIs though. I don't really know anything about it, but I'd rather be safe. Ash has had quite a few UTIs so I don't want to do anything that could cause another. Making sure he gets enough water seems to keep them at bay though. Neither have fish had the main ingredient, but one is higher than the other.
If my cats had an issue with UTI i would most likely be more hesitant to feed much fish also. The minced nulo turkey and duck has no fish, so might be one to try. Another minced food my guys like lately is American journey, the poultry minced variety pack. this is a new chewy food. as long as you get the poultry flavors, not the poultry and seafood, there is no hidden fish in their poultry. other than fish oil, which should be good, not a problem. And the Tiki after dark foods have no hidden fish either, and lots of liquid :)
American Journey Poultry in Gravy Variety Pack Grain-Free Canned Cat Food, 3-oz, case of 24
Tiki Cat After Dark Variety Pack Canned Cat Food, 2.8-oz, case of 12

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If my cats had an issue with UTI i would most likely be more hesitant to feed much fish also. The minced nulo turkey and duck has no fish, so might be one to try. Another minced food my guys like lately is American journey, the poultry minced variety pack. this is a new chewy food. as long as you get the poultry flavors, not the poultry and seafood, there is no hidden fish in their poultry. other than fish oil, which should be good, not a problem. And the Tiki after dark foods have no hidden fish either, and lots of liquid :)
American Journey Poultry in Gravy Variety Pack Grain-Free Canned Cat Food, 3-oz, case of 24
Tiki Cat After Dark Variety Pack Canned Cat Food, 2.8-oz, case of 12

Thanks for the recommendations. I'm thinking about making American Journey our main food and giving them Weruva and Tiki sometimes. Do you know if American Journey dry food is good?

I ment to say "if you haven't " between fat thumbs, auto correct and spelling of a 1st grader ... I'm doomed haha
Good luck with finding good wet food
That's fine, I understood what you meant. Thanks!

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have friends that feed AJ dry, and like it. one of my cats has a bit of a problem with peas, my guys all like the AJ dry, but the one got a bit gassy. I feed Dr. Elseys dry, so i didn't try the AJ dry long. The friends i have who feed AJ dry seem to really like it for their cats, all of the different flavors. My guys like the wet, and no problems there.

sunflower7

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Not to say that other people don't do this as well, but this is the first I'm seeing mention of someone else doing this... I was pretty much thinking I was the only 'odd' one who mixes kibbles LOL
I have always mixed 2 or 3 dry foods.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can definitely rotate the wet foods. Lots of cat owners like to do this so their kitties get some variety and don’t get bored of one type of food.
Another perk to this is avoiding your cat locking onto one brand, one flavor, one variety, and one "style" of food and refusing all others. This locking-onto one food can be a HUGE hurdle if the food is recalled/is not available temporarily, or if the formula changes (something a lot of companies do without mentioning it) and that formula no longer agrees with them. It's one less headache in life if a rapid switch is absolutely necessary and you have a cat that says "food = food" vs. "this one single brand of one single flavor, pate please, is food and everything else = crap".

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have friends that feed AJ dry, and like it. one of my cats has a bit of a problem with peas, my guys all like the AJ dry, but the one got a bit gassy. I feed Dr. Elseys dry, so i didn't try the AJ dry long. The friends i have who feed AJ dry seem to really like it for their cats, all of the different flavors. My guys like the wet, and no problems there.
Thanks! I'm trying to decide whether or not I want to make that their dry food or stick with the Wellness. I've heard of Dr. Elsey's a number of times, but it's not cheap. Maybe I'll get to the point of being able to give that to them, but I just want to get them on something better than what they're on now.

Another perk to this is avoiding your cat locking onto one brand, one flavor, one variety, and one "style" of food and refusing all others. This locking-onto one food can be a HUGE hurdle if the food is recalled/is not available temporarily, or if the formula changes (something a lot of companies do without mentioning it) and that formula no longer agrees with them. It's one less headache in life if a rapid switch is absolutely necessary and you have a cat that says "food = food" vs. "this one single brand of one single flavor, pate please, is food and everything else = crap".
Well, they've never been picky about the flavors or if it's pate, but we'll find out if they're open to different brands. They've been on Friskies for a while, but they've been on Fancy Feast too which they liked fine. But it is a good point about them being more open minded in case something happens. I'm probably going to limit how much we rotate though, at least for now. I'll give them something else sometimes.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks! I'm trying to decide whether or not I want to make that their dry food or stick with the Wellness. I've heard of Dr. Elsey's a number of times, but it's not cheap. Maybe I'll get to the point of being able to give that to them, but I just want to get them on something better than what they're on now.

Well, they've never been picky about the flavors or if it's pate, but we'll find out if they're open to different brands. They've been on Friskies for a while, but they've been on Fancy Feast too which they liked fine. But it is a good point about them being more open minded in case something happens. I'm probably going to limit how much we rotate though, at least for now. I'll give them something else sometimes.
I am a big fan of Dr. Elseys. It is very high protein and low carb. so the cats dont eat a lot, so a bag last quite a long time. Also if you watch on Chewy they have a big sale, normally 39% off seems like about 3 times a year. they just had one last month. I always stock up when they have this sale :)

I tried to feed wellness a few times, cats were not fans. I have not used the AJ dry enough to really give an opinion on it, but i do have friends that like it. I think Wellness or AJ would be a good choice. another dry you may want to look at, if you have not is the new Prey formula from taste of the wild. they have a beef, and a turkey. very limited ingredient, which i do like. My cats like it as a treat meal now and again. my moms cats love both flavors too. most pet stores carry Prey, as does Tractor supply.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good plan, IMO! =)

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am a big fan of Dr. Elseys. It is very high protein and low carb. so the cats dont eat a lot, so a bag last quite a long time. Also if you watch on Chewy they have a big sale, normally 39% off seems like about 3 times a year. they just had one last month. I always stock up when they have this sale :)

I tried to feed wellness a few times, cats were not fans. I have not used the AJ dry enough to really give an opinion on it, but i do have friends that like it. I think Wellness or AJ would be a good choice. another dry you may want to look at, if you have not is the new Prey formula from taste of the wild. they have a beef, and a turkey. very limited ingredient, which i do like. My cats like it as a treat meal now and again. my moms cats love both flavors too. most pet stores carry Prey, as does Tractor supply.
Yeah, I might consider getting the Dr. Elsey's, but I doubt I'll do it now. I should be bringing more money in soon, but not exactly sure how much yet. Once I get a feel for what I can afford, I'll think about it.

I'll definitely look into it! I'm glad to hear the two I'm considering are good though. I do have a bit of trouble keeping track of what I'm supposed to be looking for. I'll look at the one you suggested too though.

Good plan, IMO! =)
Thanks! We'll see if my cats agree.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I might consider getting the Dr. Elsey's, but I doubt I'll do it now. I should be bringing more money in soon, but not exactly sure how much yet. Once I get a feel for what I can afford, I'll think about it.

I'll definitely look into it! I'm glad to hear the two I'm considering are good though. I do have a bit of trouble keeping track of what I'm supposed to be looking for. I'll look at the one you suggested too though.

Thanks! We'll see if my cats agree.
Hopefully they agree!!!!
I'm all for rotation and letting them know that various foods are "food", but sometimes they do have preferences. Some of my cats prefer ground foods and others prefer non-ground. We feed raw, but aren't above giving canned foods too, and our cats that like non-ground foods like pate's in chunks. A few like shreds or "gravies" and some really ignore grinds for chunks, etc.
One of my girls goes insane for any chunks of meat but will ignore chunks of meat for canned food so long as it's shreds or a gravy style. She'll leave pate for the others, but will casually eat grinds (we feed grinds to ensure everyone gets good bone/organ ratios) and needs a bit of coaxing to eat them.
Cats are strange on good days and weird on bad days, but I love them, even at their weirdest. =)