Comparing two wet cat foods

halldj50

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was wondering if anyone feeds their cat Nulo wet cat food? I have been giving mine NUTRO wet cat food and he likes it but lately I’m wondering if Nulo brand might be higher quality?

SpecterOhPossum

spec's pet human
Alpha Cat
Purraise
(From the TURKEY AND CHICKEN type)

I highlighted the green for good ingredients, red for bad, and blue for not exactly sure.

"Turkey, Chicken, Turkey Liver, Turkey Broth, Tuna, Natural Flavor, Guar Gum, Potassium Chloride, Agar Agar, Choline Chloride, Taurine, Cranberries, Pumpkin, Menhaden Fish Oil (Preserved With Mixed Tocopherols), Tomato, Dried Kelp, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Salt, Iron Proteinate, Sodium Carbonate, Zinc Proteinate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin E Supplement, Magnesium Sulfate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Sodium Selenite, Niacin Supplement, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Biotin, Potassium Iodide, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Folic Acid, Rosemary Extract.

I've scoured the internet in search of a proper cat food for a good three months or so straight, seen this brand quite a bit. Not the best / or high quality IMO based on those red ingredients. Cats are obligate carnivores; they don't need tomato; cranberries, agar agar; guar gum, or tuna which is high in mercury. Nutro is one I've looked over several times as well and didn't find anything good in any of their cat food lines either; even their pricey stuff.

Tiki cat after dark is the best line I can recommend. They have a variety pack and sell the flavors separately as well. Miko can be used as a topper/snack/alongside tiki but not as a main meal.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

halldj50

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for that info. I have tried a lot in the past like Hills Science, Weruva, blue buffalo, apple paws, tiki, on and on and he turned his nose up. Only one he will eat consistently is NUTRO 🤦🏻‍♀️ Better try tiki again.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for that info. I have tried a lot in the past like Hills Science, Weruva, blue buffalo, apple paws, tiki, on and on and he turned his nose up. Only one he will eat consistently is NUTRO 🤦🏻‍♀️ Better try tiki again.
Which Nutro is he eating? Certain Nutro foods are pretty decent but there are others that I wouldn't want to feed very often, if at all. Every cat is different, though, and what I wouldn't feed might not correspond to what you wouldn't feed. I disagree (respectfully, of course!) with SpecterOhPossum SpecterOhPossum , for example, on guar gum, which even (vet) Dr. Pierson mentions on catinfo.org as a good, low-carb form of fiber. I have a long list of other stuff I won't feed, though, to keep carbs down and avoid certain thickeners. And there's a list of other things I won't feed very often. And we all have our own lists, largely based on what our cats won't/can't eat and will/can eat!

Good luck!

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why not? Miko is complete and balanced. I’d say it’s pretty decent choice for cats that like shredded food, especially for their price
Indeed! And based on what others have said, it sounds like Miko is a good alternative to Tiki. (My guess is that Chewy even made the brand name sound a bit like Tiki on purpose!)

SpecterOhPossum

spec's pet human
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Why not? Miko is complete and balanced. I’d say it’s pretty decent choice for cats that like shredded food, especially for their price
Indeed! And based on what others have said, it sounds like Miko is a good alternative to Tiki. (My guess is that Chewy even made the brand name sound a bit like Tiki on purpose!)
It is low cal and has sunflower seed oil. Miko Whole Ingredient Not that I think that's dangerous, but cat's are obligate carnivores and don't need or probably benefit from plant matter. I can justify pumpkin for poop, but why do you suppose cat's are meant to eat sunflower oil or guar gum like stated above? Sure it might not harm them, but they don't scientifically or biologically require it. (i dont think mice contain guar gum..)
I don't see why you'd need an alternative, they're both on the same site (miko however, is only on one; that I am aware of.) and tiki is a much more trust worthy brand overall; with better ingredients to match.
It being similar is .. Meh? Why feed a knockoff? :freak:

Last edited:

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is low cal and has sunflower seed oil. Miko Whole Ingredient Not that I think that's dangerous, but cat's are obligate carnivores and don't need or probably benefit from plant matter. I can justify pumpkin for poop, but why do you suppose cat's are meant to eat sunflower oil or guar gum like stated above? Sure it might not harm them, but they don't scientifically or biologically require it. (i dont think mice contain guar gum..)
I don't see why you'd need an alternative, they're both on the same site (miko however, is only on one; that I am aware of.) and tiki is a much more trust worthy brand overall; with better ingredients to match.
It being similar is .. Meh? Why feed a knockoff? :freak:
Because it’s almost half the price of Tiki and for some people it’s a deal breaker. The calorie content seems very similar to me? Sunflower oil is also alternative for cats allergic to fish or generally if someone wants to/have to avoid fish products in the cat diet. Out of all the plant ingredients than some manufacturers put into the cat food, sunflower oil doesn’t personally strike me as the worst. And even if, the statement that Miki can’t be fed as a main meal is misleading.

SpecterOhPossum

spec's pet human
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Because it’s almost half the price of Tiki and for some people it’s a deal breaker. The calorie content seems very similar to me? Sunflower oil is also alternative for cats allergic to fish or generally if someone wants to/have to avoid fish products in the cat diet. Out of all the plant ingredients than some manufacturers put into the cat food, sunflower oil doesn’t personally strike me as the worst. And even if, the statement that Miki can’t be fed as a main meal is misleading.
If I were someone else, I'd wonder why it's cheaper. Someone also mentioned the actual fat and mineral/vitamin content being quite low. The brand isn't much researched compared to Tiki, nor is it available widely. I'm not sure swapping fish for plants is a great idea compared to just trying home cooked / homemade raw; and tailoring it to your cats personal needs? If my cat had an allergy, I'm not sure how I could trust a pretty random company not to cross contaminate or hide an ingredient, or settle for something they can't even get out of meat. It's not terrible, but I wouldn't rely on it. Sunflower isn't the worst, but not necessary or mega - beneficial from what I understand.

Now that I'm looking, I'm not even finding specific ratios / percentages for nutrients.

Last edited:

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I were someone else, I'd wonder why it's cheaper. Someone also mentioned the actual fat and mineral/vitamin being content being quite low. The brand isn't much researched compared to Tiki, nor is it available widely. I'm not sure swapping fish for plants is a great idea compared to just trying home cooked / homemade raw; and tailoring it to your cats personal needs? If my cat had an allergy, I'm not sure how I could trust a pretty random company not to cross contaminate or hide an ingredient, or settle for something they can't even get out of meat. It's not terrible, but I wouldn't rely on it.
I absolutely understand you, I don’t trust any cat food manufacturer, including whoever makes Tiki and Miko, I’m not feeding either. But whatever the ingredients of Miko are, it’s still labeled as complete&balanced if they say they meet AAFCO standards, and therefore may be fed as a “main meal”. I’m the last person to say that gums and fillings are ok in cat’s food, but not everyone will feed homemade (and probably it’s a good thing as homemade without proper knowledge can be pretty dangerous), and given what’s available on the market in the US and what people can afford, Miko is still a decent choice. The fact that you wouldn’t rely on it doesn’t make it incomplete food.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Guar gum is actually a soluble fiber and provides much of the same digestive benefits as pumpkin.

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Nulo to me seems overpriced for what it is. Lydia won't touch it... She usually will at least lick a food but Nulo is one she won't even try. Not sure why!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
It is very low in fat so I only use it as a topper. Never as a main meal

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is very low in fat so I only use it as a topper. Never as a main meal
Tiki seems to have the same fat % (although I haven’t done dry matter calculations for any of them), around 2%min as fed. I’m guessing that’s the deal with shredded chicken breast canned food, they won’t be fatty. Which is not bad imo, if they are part of rotation, most cat food probably is too fatty.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That makes sense, thank you! Do you know what’s calories from fat % in Miko? I’m wondering though what low fat is too low fat. And again, even on dr Pierson’s list most food is way above recommended medium fat content so I’m guessing it would all even out if low fat food is a part of rotation.
That's what I hope with our cats' foods! Some of their homemade is very low-fat but most of their canned foods (just once a day) are pretty high-fat.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
It is very hard to find food that fits a cats needs so I usually have to mix brands. Too bad you cant buy fat

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is very hard to find food that fits a cats needs so I usually have to mix brands. Too bad you cant buy fat
I think you can actually buy chicken fat!

I do sometimes cut fat off meat for us humans and then add it when I make cat food with very lean cuts, like chicken breasts. (I wish our cats liked thighs but noooo!)