Commericial Raw + Canned

buddybellamom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello All -- my journey with my new kitten is going really well.  That's her there in my Avatar, she's about 7 weeks old now.  I am feeding her a combination of commercial raw (freeze dried, frozen nuggets and frozen "bits") and Wellness kitten; she gets NO dry except for 2-3 kitten pieces when we clip  her nails, as a treat.  Oh, and sometimes freeze dried topper (raw) on her canned.  I give her about a 1/4 of a 5 ozs can at a time, eyeing up the amount in the raw stuff; she gets 2 raw, 2 canned meals per day.

First question, if I have a bit of the raw left over and a bit of the canned, but together they'd make a "serving", is it OK to mix the 2?

Second, do I really need to be a worry wort about the calories at her age?  She's like rocket when she's in her awake and alert period -- zooming around the house like a maniac and attacking everything in sight. I typically put food out at 12, 6, 12, 6 and sometimes she eats all of it, sometimes half, sometimes 3/4s at a time, but always goes back after a little while to finish.

So, basically, just wondering if I am overfeeding her, or should I not worry about it since I am pretty sure she runs it all off, lol.

Thanks!

theresa, a.k.a. Kit's Mom

RIP Buddy & Bella 2013 - 2015 (kidney & FIP respectively)

smile123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think it's fine. Somewhere I read that you should free feed kittens and you don't need to worry about calories. I'm not sure if it's for dry, wet, raw or all 3. If she starts getting a potbelly then you should feed less.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Kittens need a lot of food to grow so you really can't overfeed
6 to 8 oz or more of food daily is common with many kittens.

You can mix raw and canned food but don't let it sit out for more than an hour or so. It might be better to feed raw and canned in separate bowls. The canned food can pretty much sit out all day without going bad while the raw obviously can't be left out very long.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You've had some great information already. I agree with LTS3 LTS3 about feeding the raw and canned in separate bowls - it just makes the food hygiene so much easier ;)

You might find this article reassuring when it comes to free feeding kittens :-[article="29721"][/article]

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

buddybellamom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the replies & re-assurance!  I guess I will just keep doing what I'm doing.  I do feed the raw and the canned in different bowls -- stainless steel for the raw.  Just a few times I have a bit left over of each kind, and was wondering is it was OK to put them together.

theresa