Commercial raw, canned, and.... what for the teeth?

ghiblithecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So I currently feed my cat about 70% grain free canned and 30% commercial raw (pre ground). I'm kind of new to the whole only wet food thing but I really enjoy the conversation of cat nutrition.

My concern is Ghibli's teeth, he is about 7.5 months old and I want to make sure his teeth are getting tended to in some form (there is no way I will brush his teeth even weekly). I know that dry food is actually in a not adequate for teeth cleaning, so I have been leaning towards giving him an occasional Frankenprey in-bone raw treat such as a chicken wing about 2-3 times a week so he can gnaw on some raw bones. 

I gave him his first chicken wing today, he seemed to really like chewing on it and eating it for a while but seemed to not really chew on any bones accepts a few times. My question is: should I try giving him something with even smaller bones like mice or chicks or quail? I would like some suggestions for his teeth maintenance. 

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You might find this article interesting - http://www.thecatsite.com/a/what-tcs-members-use-cat-dental-health-care. For what it's worth, I use the Plaque Off additive mentioned here. I'm dreadful about remembering to clean teeth, and additives of this sort are definitely better than nothing ;)

On to the bones: you can try Ghibli with just the wing tip to start with. As it's smaller it should be more manageable for him than a whole wing.

Even just feeding a few chunks of raw chicken could really help with teeth cleaning - just make them big enough that he HAS to bite and chew the meat instead of swallowing it whole ;)

lovecalifus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is on 100% raw diet, I occasionally give her chicken necks. She's a pig, so she'll gnaw the entire thing down in one sitting if I let her. I've given her rib bones before too (they were too small for my dog), and always save the turkey necks from thanksgiving dinner (though they need to be chopped down). I take them away when they get to be about the size of a large coin, because I am paranoid. I think he'll get used to bones :) I also don't think there's a problem with small boned treats - as long as nothing is cooked, but I am not an expert. 

I know my mom's kitten (also on 100% raw) was not too impressed with chicken and turkey necks at first, but got the hang of it after a while. 

Mine's been on this diet a few years, never had to have her teeth cleaned, always passes her dental exams with flying colours. 

Good luck!

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know much about feeding bones for tooth cleaning but wanted to say that we brush our cats' teeth and they actually enjoy it because they love the toothpaste! (It's CET, which is currently difficult to find but on the way back.)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ghiblithecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks LisaHE, Columbine, and lovecalifus! 

@Columbine, Yes, wing tips seem to be a hit! I will also take a look at that link :) thank you! I totally didn't even know that chewing raw chunks of meat would help teeth.. I thought it had to be bone! I always learn new things on this site.

sophie1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
One of my cats developed gingivitis despite getting meat chunks and bone-in pieces fairly regularly, so I had to start brushing teeth.  It's been a year since I started, and it's working out well.  I do it after dinner every night.  One of my cats loves the CET toothpaste so much that it is absolutely the highlight of his day - and he reminds me if I forget!  I don't know what they put into that stuff but it's like kitty crack.

I still include chunks of meat and bone-in pieces in their diet now and then, for extra insurance and also the meat helps offset the high bone content of the Hare Today grinds.   They get thigh/leg chicken or turkey meat, gizzards, and hearts.  I especially like to feed them turkey drumstick meat as it's high in taurine, even though it's a pain to debone.  I also treat them to pieces cut from whatever I'm cooking, as long as it's not flavored/brined etc.