Commercial Catnip

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have become wary of those little dried out ground up catnip packs that come in cat toys. My cat does not react the same when I use those by tucking some inside a toy as opposed to live plants . Once again I am returning to growing my own catnip because I don't think the packets are healthy for my cat.
In your knowledge, are the little packets found in the toys safe for cats or are they treated with chemicals to make them last longer on the shelf?

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have no idea if they are treated. I wouldn't see why since drying is all that's needed to preserve them... But individual companies will have their own policies.

However, storing them in the plastic baggies does help to maintain their potency.

Some cats just prefer fresh or prefer dried. Ghost likes fresh. Magnus and Cal like dried despite having access to fresh.

You can grow a small plant indoors if that suits you. Be sure to read your local government policy before planting outside. It can be considered invasive and some places you can get charged for planting outside, or in the ground.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I never thought Feeby was 'affected' by the catnip in toys, but I did buy a plastic jar full of it that I store in the fridge that she seemed to like when she was still moving about well. She has/had a cardboard horizontal scratcher that I would pour some on it, and she loved to lay by it, or on it, and eat it (she has never been a 'scratcher'). It is 100% catnip, supposed to be organic, but I don't know about it being treated as it does not say. .
SMARTYKAT Catnip, 2-oz jar - Chewy.com

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have grown it before, BUT it can get out of hand. It is a prolific plant! That is one reason I tried the prepackaged dried kind. Today I tossed in some seeds and will grow a few plants for the winter season. I tossed out the packaged ones....for my own peace of mind,I guess.:rolleyes:

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I would be suspicious of any plant food or edibile from china honestly. Theres no or very little regulation there. (See the menu foods recal of 07, or jerky treats from china) I would avoid any consumables from china if possable.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Im not sure where that particular one is grown, the stuff i sometimes see is packaged alongside toys that say made in china on the tag.

I don't activly seek catmint out Indy doesnt care about catnip or silvervine either. She just ignores it and Kabuto doesn't realy play anymore.