Come meet my new boy Simon!

babywukong

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh he's gorgeous!! Looking forward to the day he and Zissou meet.

On a side note, I didn't know that the same thing that causes Scottish Folds' ears to fold can also cause fusing of the spines. Why on earth do people want to breed cats which have the possibility of being born with fused spines just to get the folded ear look??

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Simon is very cute, Its great you have given him a home.
i will keep my fingers crossed that the meeting with Z goes well

of course more pics are always welcomed

mimosa

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BabyWukong

Oh he's gorgeous!! Looking forward to the day he and Zissou meet.

On a side note, I didn't know that the same thing that causes Scottish Folds' ears to fold can also cause fusing of the spines. Why on earth do people want to breed cats which have the possibility of being born with fused spines just to get the folded ear look??
Because they are so cute and the folded ears are a novelty ?

It is recommended that breeders never breed a cat with folded ears to a cat with folded ears, but always do a folded ears to straight ears breeding. Half the kittens will have folded ears and half the kittens will have straight ears, Scottish straights. But it is not entirely certain this method prevents problems; http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10078353 . I've heard about breeders doing scans/x-rays on their breeding cats, but they are a minority. And of course you always have backyard breeders who do breed Fold to Fold. Some breeders register their Scottish straight kittens as British shorthairs, which upsets BSH breeders as they don't want Folds/straights in their gene pool, because even Straights can have the mutation.
Anyway, the breed is much more popular in the US than it is in Europe, the governing council for the cat fancy in the UK banned the breed because of health concerns, and there are more countries that are thinking about it.

But this is a whole other topic, this one is all about Simon

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congratulations on your new furbaby!!!
He is soo adorable!!!

How's he adjusting?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

Congratulations on your new furbaby!!!
He is soo adorable!!!

How's he adjusting?
Thanks!

He's doing well! I started a new thread about the introduction with him and Zissou. http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=178946

He's also learning the best way to waddle down the hallway and make a sharp turn without falling over or skidding into doorjambs.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He's adorable! I'm so glad I didn't TOTALLY miss that Zissou's got a new brother!
Our Ming Loy has cerebellar hypoplasia, and she can't jump and gallops/waddles too. The first thing we realized once she was home was - we didn't think about how noisy the way she moves around was going to be! She was like a herd of elephants all by herself!

Congrats - how exciting!

Laurie