Color point - dominant or recessive?

surille

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've always thought that color pointed marking were recessive because of the white fur and blue eyes it's usually accompanied with, however I've seen quite a number of tabby cats have a litter with 1 color point kitten in the litter! My little girl Luna is Ragdoll x Tabby and she has color point markings. How is this possible? Aren't the tabby genes dominant? 

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

I've always thought that color pointed marking were recessive because of the white fur and blue eyes it's usually accompanied with, however I've seen quite a number of tabby cats have a litter with 1 color point kitten in the litter! My little girl Luna is Ragdoll x Tabby and she has color point markings. How is this possible? Aren't the tabby genes dominant? 

The point gene is recessive.  So theree must be two "to dance tango".    One from ma, one from pa meeting in the kitten..

Carriers of the point gene can have any looks, as almost all other genes are more dominant.

Although, doubled up, the weak recessive point gene becomes very strong,  and gives almost entirely the kittens whole outer appareance.

So two carriers, say two tabbies who happen to be carriers, will typically get one kitten of four being pointed.  But  The siblings will remind of parents.

A point and a carrier  will typically give two points, two carriers with another looks.

A point and a non carrier will give non points.

Thus,  mating your siamese or ragdoll with a typical moggie will usually not give any kittens who are pointed.   But recrossing with the next generation will geve some...

But if said moggie happen to be a carrier, there will be pointed kittens yes.   :)