Color and Genetics Question

jonkat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think you reversed the statistics on orange males and females. I have an orange (red) tabby female, and one of the first things I learned both on this site and from talking to other cat lovers is that most orange cats are male. I don't know if 80% is the right number, but it's probably close.
oops! I know what i meant to say..LOL

I tried to post pictures but I cant figure it out?

They are so adorable
I would love to show them off.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
You'll need to upload your pictures to a website like photobucket.com. I know there are others out there, but that's the one I'm familiar with. It's free to sign up. Once you get your pictures uploaded, click on the IMG code for each one, copy & paste it into the message box here. Your picture should show up in the message. I always do a Preview Post just to make sure I got it right before I submit the post.

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by NorthernGlow

The colorpoint is recessive, meaning that you need to get it from both parents to have pointed kittens. In this case if the mommy carries colorpoint, pointed kittens may be born: seal and tortie pointed females, seal and red pointed males.
If the mommy doesn't carry colorpoint the kittens will propably be tabbies or solids: black(brown) and tortie females, black(brown) and red males.
Just had to add that the mommy looks like a torbie on my monitor, but if she's not, then forget all the red babies.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't see enough red on her to make her a torbie - that's why I assumed brown tabby. Browns have shadings that sometimes look a bit reddish but is not true red tabby mixed.

If she does throw torbies/red tabbys - then we do know she's a torbie and not a brown tabby.

whitepwny

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

I don't see enough red on her to make her a torbie - that's why I assumed brown tabby. Browns have shadings that sometimes look a bit reddish but is not true red tabby mixed.

If she does throw torbies/red tabbys - then we do know she's a torbie and not a brown tabby.
If we are still talking about my female. She is definately a brown tabby. I guess we will have to see what the kits look like when they are born. My best friend's female is a torbie with white.... and she threw all flame point siamese. I sure didn't plan for mine to be having kittens, but it is exciting wondering what they will look like.

whitepwny

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'll just re up different pics of them to get a better idea of color of them

Max the father

Ali the queen