Colony Of 12- Bully Kitty

Dannisair

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey all,

I currently have an awesome kitty colony with awesome neighbors who are very accepting; all are TNRed and microchipped, the semi-friendlier guys wear collars w/ tags. I bring in new kitties to my colony when there are urgent circumstances. Over a year ago I integrated a young male, named Milo, into my kitty colony. At another colony I helped TNR he was skin and bones as all the kitties beat up on him. (Witnessed for months by feeders prior to me helping) The past 3 months his demeanor has become very territorial. He often chases away my other kitties and many of my younger ones have began to mimic him and are now trying to keep my lowest kitty from eating. I now feed in different areas around my yard so this is not an issue, I am wondering though if anyone has experienced "bully kitties" and found a way to make them stop. If I'm outside they will not bully my poor Molly (my lowest kitty). And she often is scared to come eat if I don't stand outside with her. I noticed she was dehydrated a week ago and have put out more water bowls and she is now hydrated-but this is frustrating to me as I have to walk around my entire house and have seperate bowls laid out everywhere. We just got over a rat problem and my fiancé is not happy with my new feeding since now there is food at every angle of our house. Does anyone have any advice about kitties who bully others?

For the record these kitties are not indoor kitties and will not be made so.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have some Bullies too. I try different feeding stations, but the bully cat will not stick to one area. The food at the next food bowl always looks better I guess. One of the kitties is totally neurotic and I'm sure has been abused. He beats up anybody that come's near him. But most of them are just food aggressive from having gone through periods of starvation I believe. I have no idea what to do about it. They just won't listen to me. I have started using trays instead of bowls so their food is more spread out. Less crowding while eating is helpful.

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Funny you mention this as I have always had a bully in every group of cats. Some more severe than others. I always though that among any large group there was a dominant and a sub dominant. Those in between were always waiting to rise up the ladder. Other than isolating the bully in some way I’ve never found a solution , but you are right....it’s usually based in some form of insecurity. Hopefully some more experienced forum members will have helpful suggestions.