College & Grad School

jarvis

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cata_mint

What are core classes?
They are the basic classes they make us do first in the states: Some english, math, science, humanities and other classes that are boring.
They used to be unrelated to your major, but more and more I'm seeing that certain majors need specific english, math and science classes....very frustrating!

hermione2011

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just started my freshman year at UT-Martin yesterday! I'm a music education major focusing on instrumental education. It's been a rough first two days...but it can only get better, right?

All of my classes except for one are music, which rocks.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a yr and half of school major nutritional science / biology( that was a non human animal focus) .. but Mom got sick and I stopped now I wont go back till I "grow up " and know what I want ... looks like naturpathic ( human or other animal)

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm attending college right now for an associates in automotive technology. If I feel so inclined in the future, I might just get a Bachelors in Chemistry or something of the like. Who knows!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nimbus

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jarvis

A blogspot might be perfect for you then... people can post comments and give advice... I too like to get criticism and critiques. Yeah, illustration would be great...I always thought it would be really neat to be an illustrator for books (children's in general), but I have no idea how to get into a business like that!
Message me when you upload some stuff, I'd love to see!
I'd love to do some childrens books as well
. Illustration is a bit tough, because there are very few actual "illustration" companies. So, it's basically freelance work and advertising yourself (kind of like a "don't quit your day job" thing
). Just try and start out by finding misc. work at your school or workplace---I do illustrations for my schools magazine and make cards and stuff for people. Word of mouth can go a long way. Graphic design and illustration can go hand in hand too...For one of my classes, I designed a logo and made a 3 part, illustrated magazine ad for a product called "Bark Beer" (non-alcoholic beer for dogs!), which was a lot of fun.
Anyway, maybe think about getting into some graphic design if you're interested in Illustration.

-Kristen

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nimbus

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Green Bunny

I'm in grad school studying library science. I just started last semester, so I'm still kind of new at everything (I still get lost on campus!).

I graduated from art school with a BFA with an emphasis in Art History in May 2006! Don't worry about the gallery show, Nimbus. It'll come together. I ended up changing my whole idea a couple of months before the show, but it still turned out really well! I originally went there for photography, but I ended up doing a lot of weaving and fiber arts.

Tricia
Wow, I'd love to see some of your weaved work. I always admire that stuff, because its such tedious work! Our school has a few weaving classes, but I haven't been able to take them. I do some stitchwork on some of my prints, though.

-Kristen

jarvis

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nimbus

I'd love to do some childrens books as well
. Illustration is a bit tough, because there are very few actual "illustration" companies. So, it's basically freelance work and advertising yourself (kind of like a "don't quit your day job" thing
). Just try and start out by finding misc. work at your school or workplace---I do illustrations for my schools magazine and make cards and stuff for people. Word of mouth can go a long way. Graphic design and illustration can go hand in hand too...For one of my classes, I designed a logo and made a 3 part, illustrated magazine ad for a product called "Bark Beer" (non-alcoholic beer for dogs!), which was a lot of fun.
Anyway, maybe think about getting into some graphic design if you're interested in Illustration.

-Kristen
Hahaha, yeah that sounds great!!! My cousin just got his degree in Graphic Design and he had a job with a company before he even graduated! It definitely sounds like something I could do! Yeah...if I could do some illustrations for books, or like CD cover art (always thought that would be cool), those are like my dream jobs

Well, keep in touch with your art and gallery opening!!! Good luck!!

mom of 4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm paying for my three to go to college - well, part of it anyway.

The oldest is working on his MBA, with his employers contributing half of the money. He has an AD in Auto Mechanics and a BBA.

The middle child has a double major in Computer Programing and Computer Science. He starts working on his Mastrs in January, partially funded by his employers.

The youngest just start PT school last week. She will actually be a Senior this year and wil graduate with a Masters in 3 years. she plans on getting her Doctorate.

So far, it has all been paid as-they-go. We plan on continuing that.

samantha1979

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by missourigrl

I'm currently going to a 2-year technical school for radiologic technology (x-ray tech). Before going back to school I got my bachelor's in business in 2002.
That's what I am doing. I am going to a community college. I will graduate in May with an A.A.S. I just got a senior tech job about a month ago, so I am actually doing the job....kinda scary!!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
College here.
2 year technical degree that I've drug out for over 3 years.
Business Administration & Management, specializing in Small Business Management. Taking all my courses this semester online!

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not in university (just started grade eleven today) but some people I know will be starting up soon. It sucks that they have to move 2+ hours away for school, though.