Collecting a cat

siberian kitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When going on a long journey collecting and bringing a new kitten home from a breeder what sort of things should I bring along? Also I would like to know how many people I would need to bring along with me and what sort of behaviour I should expect from the kitten?

I would be very grateful for any suggestions.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How long is "long"?

A sturdy cat carrier, possibly a litter tray and water. I would leave food for until you get back.

The kitten may meow, both from the car ride and being away from their home they've grown up in. Minimum people, no sense in a full car load taking a long trip really. 

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
How long is "long"?

A sturdy cat carrier, possibly a litter tray and water. I would leave food for until you get back.

The kitten may meow, both from the car ride and being away from their home they've grown up in. Minimum people, no sense in a full car load taking a long trip really. 
:yeah: You'll want some soft towels or a small blanket in the carrier for the kitten to hide under if he's scared, and food if the journey home is going to be more than half a day. Ask the breeder what kind of food and litter the kitten is accustomed to.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

siberian kitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the advice, I will be sure to take it onboard. The journey will probably be about 6 hrs.

Last edited:

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
6 hours is not too long to make the journey in one trip, but you may like to stop half way and offer some water or the litter tray. My kittens spend longer than that in carriers when they are sent to other states by plane, I don't feed breakfast and the new owners feed soon as they get home from the airport. 

As to diet and litter info, the breeder should include that in your kitten pack but it doesn't hurt to double check, even before you have him home so you've got supplies at hand.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

siberian kitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the advice. How often should I stop and how long for?

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Another thing, play some music softly on the CD player if you have one.  I recommend the Bach cello suites.  It worked for Sheba and it was a 6 hour journey for her.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the advice. How often should I stop and how long for?
I probably wouldn't, but if you need a break from driving and are pulling over for a few minutes you could carefully pat him and offer water if needed. I wouldn't let him out in the car just in case he goes under the seats or somewhere inaccessible  

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I recommend talking to him along the way. They may be one sided conversations, but could help calm him and get him used to your voice.