Collars?

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
John she's huge!!
,but she's gorgeous!.

I can't get over how she just sits there!. Does she have to eat any thing different to normal cats?, such as raw meat!!

HEDI: I was worried as well about the collars, but the one i got Rosie pulls straight apart if it gets caught.

Susan

sweets

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I moved to a new apartment I put a collar on my Maine Coon, just in case. The first night we were there, she woke me up scratching and shaking and convulsing. I turned on the light to find she had gotten her mouth caught on the collar. It looked like she was cleaning her ruff and and got caught. She was struggling to get rid of the collar. That was the last time any of my cats ever had a collar. Since they are strictly indoor kitties, I don't see a need.

Sandy

abby7625

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
WOW she is BIG!!!! She is so adorable you could just squeeze her all day long..What a lovey!

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to let our cats out on a leash many years ago. Thankfully, they used to wear a harness and not a collar. The one cat managed to climb our peach tree. (I thought the leash was far enough away from the tree) Well, to my horror, I looked outside and found him hanging from the tree!! His legs hung limp by his sides and he wasn't moving. When I ran out there, he had this look on his face like "hey, get me off this thing"! Since he was wearing a harness, all his weight was supported under his front legs and not his neck. I know he wasn't injured, but I still felt like a dummy when this happened. I always took great care of our cats. They were never let outside on the leash when we were not home. Now however,our cats are all indoor. But, as you can see, Amber loves to go out. She doesn't roam the yard, but we take her out in the car and her shopping cart rides

Sandy, I used to leave the harness on Amber, but do not any more. She did the same thing. Was grooming herself and got her jaw caught. Now, you know how hard it can be to help a regular cat get out of a situation likes this, especially if they panic. It wasn't fun for Amber, she was very upset. So, she only gets the harness put on when we take her places. She never goes out without her leash. I would just die if she got loose and ran away.

Susan, yes, we feed a raw meat diet to Amber, but she also eats the dry Eukanuba that we feed our other kitties.

creepyowl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I use the break away collar for Emmett. He has no problem with it. Some nights I'll take it off to give him a break, but he is content to have it back on the next day. I even have a mouse shaped name tag and bell on his collar. Here in this pic you can see it.

crazy-cat-lover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My kitties don't wear collars. They used to, but they must have known they were break away because they ALWAYS got them off! My kitties have NO way of getting outside, so I don't have to be worried about that!

duncansdaddy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My Duncan has worn a collar since he came to live with me. He stays inside all the time, so I suupose he could go without one. I recently got him one with a bell on it. Not that he needs it. Duncan purrs constantly. There's no way that he could sneak up on anyone, you can hear his purr in the next room. But, he'll continue to wear his collar, since it has his license number attached.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Amber is irresistible!
Since we've been living in this town, any cats we've had have worn breakaway collars with an ID tag, for a very simple reason. The town is located on the edge of a forest, and many hunters use cats for target practice.
I hope that a collar and tag will discourage them from doing so, seeing as the "target cat" might survive and get away. JC is an indoor cat that only goes outside wearing a harness and leash, but he nevertheless wears a breakaway, reflective collar with a tag, just in case he gets loose. I had him tattooed when he was neutered, but later had him microchipped, too, as the tattoos have faded. Our other cats (including former ferals) were indoor/outdoor cats, and often roamed in the forest. According to our local laws, any cat that is more than 100 meters from the nearest building is "fair game", as it supposedly is "threatening wildlife"!!!

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally posted by jcat
According to our local laws, any cat that is more than 100 meters from the nearest building is "fair game", as it supposedly is "threatening wildlife"!!!
Great Zot! What bright star got the idea that wildlife can't hold its own against a domestic pet with little or no hunting practice?? Interesting, the excuses some people come up with for picking on cats.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally posted by rapunzel47
Great Zot! What bright star got the idea that wildlife can't hold its own against a domestic pet with little or no hunting practice?? Interesting, the excuses some people come up with for picking on cats.
Hunters, not cats or dogs, have managed to eradicate hares here. The only wildlife you can really talk about would be wild boar, deer, foxes, and hedgehogs, none of which I've ever heard of a cat killing.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally posted by jcat
Hunters, not cats or dogs, have managed to eradicate hares here. The only wildlife you can really talk about would be wild boar, deer, foxes, and hedgehogs, none of which I've ever heard of a cat killing.
Indeed! That would be some cat that threatened any of them!

noey 4

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I use a break-away collar on Scotch that has not one-but two bells on it. Now that he is older, it isn't that important, but when he was younger I could always here him if he was somewhere he shouldn't be (such as scailing the ladder to my roommates loft)
(She is allergic, so we try to keep him out of her bed). I live with 4 other girls, so it is helpful to hear where he is, but other than for that and identification, I see no real reason to have a collar other than for decoration...

Noel
:angel4: