Collars.. Yay or Nay?

sailfish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The Mrs. Always seems to be wanting to put collars on the cats. I figure we've got indoor cats and they dont need collars. How do you feel about collars on indoor cats? Yay or Nay?

zoe'n'misskitty

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If the kitties get out, you'll wish they had collars with name-tags.
That said, I tried putting collars on my indoor kitties...and couldn't keep collars on them...they both figured out how to unbuckle them! lol

Microchipping is probably a better route for cats that don't like collars or if you just don't want them to wear the things.

jane_vernon

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have mine collared at the moment, but I have collared before - Some cats will tolerate it, some won't.

I think its up to you!

missykittystars

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think all cats should wear collars.
if it wasn't for cat Ollie having a collar on, one day, he climbed out the downstiars window in summer, and got hit by a car! was taken to a center, and because of his ID, they called us, we picked him up, and got his leg sorted,

Because of this experiance, I will always collar my kittys, once my cats Simba and Star get abit older they will get collars, and they will be soley indoor cats.

lilleah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like to put collars on my kitties, but my mother in law, says no way. She even paid me $100.00 bucks to take the collar off of my cat.

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Reilly doesn't wear a collar. When I met him he was already a year old, and he was hurting himself when I put one on him.

ashleynicole

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I live in an apartment/townhouse. The door leads right out to the parking lot and a street where many fellow college students drive and walk. So yes, I have a collar on Marlee and she does very well with it! I ordered Beastie Bands (like nearly the first thing I've ever ordered off line) and it was so worth it! First off, I could not find any small enough to fit her in any stores since she is still a kitten, and I think is just going to be a small cat. And they are velcro, so will come off if she gets stuck on anything. She was a little weirded out when I first put it on her, trying to bat at the name tag, etc. She tore it off twice within an hour, then figured out I was just going to keep putting it on her. After that she never pays attention to it! I greatly recommend Beastie Bands! And they are pretty cheap! I ordered two for under $15 (or around there!)

joanne511

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tried to collar my girls and they nearly choked themselves trying to get it off...so it's not a viable option in our house.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
safety collars here and soon micro chipping...

lndscpsam

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My persian doesn't wear a collar because of his long fur. My short haired kitty does though. I made a break away collar for her with a bell so I know where she is. She's a sneaky little devil and I really should have a tag on her collar, but at least she's microchipped. I say let your wife do it.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All microchipped, but two are collared, one with a medic alert tag (she has glaucoma), the other is collared because she's a former feral.
If she gets out, I want her wearing visual ID since she may be hard to catch.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If my kitties needed to be indoor only, I think I would be even more pro-collar (with ID) than I already am -- simply because an indoor kitty has no experience of the outdoors and will need more help getting home if she does get out, than would one who has experience of the outdoors.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Harley is only indoors and has a collar with his name, phone #, ect on it - and one from the vet with his med. info on it too.

You could never be too safe!

fatkitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My kitties always wear thier collars. One has a bad habit of trying to run out the door, and I don't always snag her in time. I've had to go after her before, hoping like heck she doesn't run into the street! But if she ever did slip out unnoticed (it happened once!) she's got her tag so I can be called. Microchipping does no good if nobody knows there's a chip in the cat. And not everyone who finds a cat on the street is going to bother with taking it to the vet. Both my cats and all of my dogs wear a collar with tags at all times. ESPECIALLY thier rabies tags (required by law) and the dogs' county license, again, required by law. The cats only wear their rabies tag, but it has my vet's phone number on it, and my vet has all of my contact info. The dogs wear tags with me and hubby's cell phone numbers on them.

Amber

sims2fan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by babyharley

Harley is only indoors and has a collar with his name, phone #, ect on it - and one from the vet with his med. info on it too.

You could never be too safe!
I would be careful about having a collar with his name. I wanted one too but my vet advised me against it as if someone wanted to steal one of my cats they would have an easier time bonding with him if they know their name. So my cats have a tag with my last name and phone number and the vets phone number on the back.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally I don't put collars on any of my cats. For the most part, the cats I've had were/are show cats and collars a big no-no. I can see why people put them on because if the cat escapes you stand a chance of someone returning them.

But so far (knock on wood) we've never had to worry about cats getting out - my show cats don't have any interest in going outside from the start.

tourmaline

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cats don't wear collars. They are strictly indoor and I live in an apartment. They are micro-chipped though, just in case.

gardenandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I say no. My cats don't like them. And I had two bad experiences with them where one cat got it caught in her mouth. And once got her paw through it.