Collars with Bells

evaw

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone. I currently have three cats (one was a foster feral who has decided she belongs with me) and I just invested in new breakaway collars for them. Two of them have normal, bell-free collars, but my new indoor kitten, London, is getting curious about the outdoors so her collar has a bell on it. This is mostly because she is a quick little one and I need to know where she is when I open a door. However, my friend made a comment that this could be bad for the kitten's ears. I was wondering what the possible harm could be to her and if I should be worried. If it is bad for her, does anyone have suggestions for how to keep track of her and avoid watching my little black kitty running away? She is due to be chipped, spayed, and such, but I am looking at prevention from her sneaking out.

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
I have never heard that the bells that come on a cat's collar can do damage to their hearing. Yes, some cats may get irritated or distracted with the bell, but that's the extent of it.

I personally think your choice to have a bell on her collar is a great one.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 It's not like a cow bell and it doesn't ring every time they move. There's mixed opinions but there's no facts saying it damages their hearing. The collar with the bell is a great idea for you!