Collars on Cats

abigail

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Latitude: 45° 31' North Longitude: 122° 39' We
it took abi about an hour to get used to hers. her name and phone number are embroidered into the fabric itself and it has a pull away release in case it catches on anything. I also added a teensy bell because I was stepping on her when she came and stood at my feet. It sure was helpful when she got inside the wall and under the jacuzzi bathtub ONCE.

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use either Beatie Bands or the RC Pets Breakaways....my two boys (the former strays) wear their like pros...Gracie, who was owned for all but 2 months of her life, took about a week to stop fiddling with it.

I strongly recommend collars, AS LONG as the cat can get out of them if they snag on something.

delilah_blue

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
For those of you who put ID tags on your kitties, can anyone recommend a place to find a small one? The ones you can make at PetSmart/Petco always look huge to me to put on a kitty. Delilah is indoor/outdoor, and she is chipped, but does not have a tag. In the past I've written our phone# on her collars with a Sharpie, but it does not stay legible for long.

Also, at what age do you start putting collars on kittens? There don't seem to be any especially small ones out there, so do you typically wait until they're just about fully grown?

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Delilah_Blue

For those of you who put ID tags on your kitties, can anyone recommend a place to find a small one? The ones you can make at PetSmart/Petco always look huge to me to put on a kitty. Delilah is indoor/outdoor, and she is chipped, but does not have a tag. In the past I've written our phone# on her collars with a Sharpie, but it does not stay legible for long.

Also, at what age do you start putting collars on kittens? There don't seem to be any especially small ones out there, so do you typically wait until they're just about fully grown?
There are collar plates you can order, but the small tags from the self engravers at PetCo are actually a good size, they don't bother cats at all.

As for collars on kittens, I know Beastie Bands can be cut to size, I always have used breakaway ferret collars on kittens (How does one keep a collar on a ferret anyway? They are the same size around from neck to hips lol).

msrpavao

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just put on a collar on my kitten about a week ago, at first I put it on with a jingle bell and she went crazy, i thought she might scratch herself raw or something, it was only fun to watch for a minute, then I actually felt bad for her and took the bell off ..... now she just has a breakaway collar, which took her a day or so to get used to ... but she's okay with it now. I'm planning on getting her microchipped, but I'd still like to get a tag on her as well. Better safe than sorry .....

Magda

keelyg

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you get a hartz toy / other product - they have an id tag offer on the back of the pack, which you send away for. They engrave a name and number on a little heart - was only $2.95 or something...

Collar-wise, I love the designs I found through a website via the catsite: www.lindsaydesigns.com - a bit pricey but Tilly looks soooo pretty in her ribbon collar!