Collars/ID Tags for Indoor Cats?

tabster

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm wondering if it is worth it to put a collar with an ID tag on Lucky, he is indoor only and microchipped. BUT he is 14 years old and has hyperthyroidism which makes me worry. I live in Alabama and I'm sure you've heard about all the tornadoes that swept through. Our house is fine but there are a lot of misplaced pets out there. Would the microchip take care of everything in the case of an emergency? I read somewhere that people are more likely to try and rescue a cat with a collar.

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMO you should always collar and tag your cat and make sure your phone number is on the tag. You can never know about a cat sneaking out when you forget to shut the door. Better be safe than sorry.

resqchick

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I agree with Dusty's mom. Kairi is only 7 weeks old and he's outfitted in a collar with a bell (so I can find him) and an id tag. He'll be microchipped when he goes in for his neuter, but will always have a tag.

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you can only pick one, then a microchip is a no brainer IMO. Considering how many people allow their cats to roam the neighborhoods with collars on, and how nearly impossible it is for a stranger to catch a cat casually with their hands, and fact that collars can fall off (and if they don't can strangle your cat), a collar by itself I don't think is as good.

If you want extra protection, then a break-away collar with tag is worthwhile. Most cats are most comfortable without a collar though, and it makes it easier for them to clean their neck and the fur doesn't bunch up there. So my kitties go naked most of the time, but if I have guests coming over or we're headed to the vets or something then I slap the collars on them as an added precaution.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
Monet HATES his collar. he'd flip out and rip it right off if I put it on. So he's Microchipped, just in case he runs out.

Picasso doesn't mind her break-away collar. But I will be getting her microchipped when she gets more settled in and a bit older. I want her to be 100% healthy too.

When I picked out collars, I tested the break-away parts. Some falls apart easily, aren't as easy. I picked one that doesn't break off too easily (during play), but with her weight, should snap off easily of she gets caught or pulls hard enough.

grogs

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If you're concerned about possible emergencies, the collar and tags make for a good second line of defense. Even for routine stuff, if someone finds your cat without a collar, they might decide that they've been abandoned and take them in. For indoor cats, I recommend that you use a plastic name tag and leave the rabies tag off. I had an incident about 4 years ago where Promise managed to get her metal rabies tag between the wall and a plug and it nearly electrocuted her. You can see where the two prongs from the electrical plug melted the aluminum rabies tag in the picture below.

catbehaviors

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally, I think that a collar and tag is more effective than a microchip. If the cat has a collar, the person will instantly think, "that cat has a home", while a person may just think the cat is a random stray otherwise. I do find myself just thinking that the cat is an outdoor cat, when I see a cat with a collar. I'd advise you put something like "if I am outside, I am lost" on the collar, so the person will know to give you a call.

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tabster

I'm wondering if it is worth it to put a collar with an ID tag on Lucky, he is indoor only and microchipped. BUT he is 14 years old and has hyperthyroidism which makes me worry. I live in Alabama and I'm sure you've heard about all the tornadoes that swept through. Our house is fine but there are a lot of misplaced pets out there. Would the microchip take care of everything in the case of an emergency? I read somewhere that people are more likely to try and rescue a cat with a collar.
The microchip takes the place of a collar in a professional scenario (like when I work for humane society's) all the cats are scanned for a microchip. This is the same for veterinarian offices I have worked at.

But with the basic public person it is the collar in my experience and IMO that will bring your cat home.

Originally Posted by catbehaviors

Personally, I think that a collar and tag is more effective than a microchip. If the cat has a collar, the person will instantly think, "that cat has a home", while a person may just think the cat is a random stray otherwise. I do find myself just thinking that the cat is an outdoor cat, when I see a cat with a collar. I'd advise you put something like "if I am outside, I am lost" on the collar, so the person will know to give you a call.
I agree with your above post 1,000 percent!

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats are all indoor only and they are microchipped and also wear collars. Most of them have either embroidered collars with "Indoor Only" and my phone number, or they wear CollarTags (from Boomerang Tags) which are kinda like nameplates, so there is nothing hanging down that could possibly get caught on things. The only one who wears an actual tag is Mr Grey because of his health issues (the info wouldn't fit on the CollarTag.)

Here is what the collars look like with the CollarTag on:

This is Mr Grey with his ID tag:

It says MEDIC ALERT DO NOT FEED RX DIET ONLY on the front and on the back it says NEEDS MEDS - IF ALONE I'M LOST and my home and cell phone #s.

Harley with her embroidered collar:

subconsciousme

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree with everyone. We have 2 indoor only cats. They are microchipped, collared, tagged and have bells (so we can find them mostly.... they hide so well!).

One side says "If outside, I'm lost" the other their name and 2 phone numbers.