Collars and Kittens

blackkittens

Mother of Cats
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello! I am new to TCS, and I apologize in advance if I've posted in the wrong section. I recently brought my 7 month old kitten a collar (breakaway). I was wondering if anyone had any tips/advice? This is his first, he's never worn one before. Also, should I remove the bell? He is strictly indoors-only. He has a tag on the collar with his name and my phone number. He is a highly active, healthy, and playful kitty. How should I go about this? Thank you!

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Collars are a lot like bras. Might not be comfortable at first but after a while they don't even know it's there. All my cats have worn collars best thing to do is put it on without any tags or cowbells on it. Once they are used to wearing it you can add a tag or cowbell to it.

When adjusting the tightness, insert two (three if your fingers are slender) fingers between the collar and your cat you should feel the collar tighten a bit around your fingers but still have some wiggle room.

maddies momma

TCS member, Crazy Cat Lady!
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wether he will tolerate a bell or not is completely up to him. I think a tag with his number is more than enough. Biggest concern is please make sure that the collar is a breakaway or safety collar. One that is designed to snap off under pressure so that it cannot choke the cat. I know it seems counter productive to have the collar fall off if he gets out but he will be safer without a collar then he would be if it couldn't snap off and he got strangled in a cat fight or stuck on a branch.

Last edited:

catsrworld

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sometimes it's better without a bell, I know when my cat had a bell he would keep, he up all night! Also, ifyour catslips the collar off a lot you should probably just take it off if he doesn't like it that much.