Collar Training

Lennybells

I’m a slave to my furry master
Adult Cat
Purraise
Help! My kitten Hobbes likes to explore, and I am worried that he might get out. We got a collar for him with his info, but he hates wearing it. He is fine for the first little bit, but he always manages to get it in his mouth, and my arms are covered in scratches from him panicking, so I am hesitant trying it again. Does anybody have some tips and experience with getting a kitten used to a colour without him hurting himself? Thanks in advance.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My indoor cats are micro chipped. Never could get one on my cats either. I have cubes for her to prowl,tower,scrtchers,wand toys to keep her busy. None of my cats are interested in going outside. My cat Coco is afraid!

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would only put the collar on for a few moments at a time when you can distract him with play, treats, etc. so he gets used to the sensation and feel of the collar, and take the collar off before he manages to get it in his mouth.
FWIW a lot of kittens and puppies do this. Collars are new, and feel annoying to them but with a little time they do seem to grow out of it!