collar for kitten

cearbhaill

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Are you just worried about the cat getting out and running away or is there another reason folks use collars?

I don't use a collar on any cat- I don't for dogs either, while they are indoors. The collars are attached to the leashes and hanging by the door. I think it looks unnatural, I don't like to feel them when I am petting, and God forbid a tag jangles- I'd go ballistic!

I train the animals to stay away from doors, and only have adults going in and out. This plus tattoos and microchips is enough to keep me comfortable.

I'm not being contrary- I just don't get collars on indoor cats.

zak&rocky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have mine wear them basically for ID purposes should they get out. It also makes for a great fashion statement. I really should get them chipped, but I think a collar is a good backup and much quicker than a chip. Assuming it hasn't come off!

emily_325

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine is for ID purposes. Anya is always so intrigued by outside and I'm afraid if she ever did run out the door and get away from us she'd be gone. I hate the thought that she would have to go ALL the way to the shelter or animal control and have her chip scanned before she came back to us. With a collar and ID one of our neighbors could scoop her up and bring her right to us.

And I'm not big on dangling ID tags either. My cats have always seemed annoyed by them. Not to mention they dip them in their water and food bowls. So I bought Anya one of these. http://www.boomerangtags.com/page.php?c=collartags&k=h The collar laces through it so it doesn't dangle, but it's still a durable stainless steel. They make them for breakaway collars too and they're really easy to put on.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by zak&rocky

I have mine wear them basically for ID purposes should they get out. It also makes for a great fashion statement. I really should get them chipped, but I think a collar is a good backup and much quicker than a chip. Assuming it hasn't come off!
that's what mine are for. Pixel never tries to go out, but the other 3 will, at times. i also have id tags from boomerang on their collars, with their names, my phone numbers, & a message that reads "if you see me outside i am lost. reward" the tag is printed on both sides, so it also has the word "over" at the bottom of each side. i chose the heart-shaped tags. then they also have their rabies tags on there. they all tried removing their collars when they first got them, but not anymore. they're used to them & the jingling of the tags, as well. Cable & Pixel both also have bells, but i have to get those separately, & haven't yet for Java & Chip, my most recent arrivals...& with 2 tags on the collar, they don't really need the bells to be heard, anyway.

-ann-

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a collar on Cooper. He wouldn't wear one when he was little, but he'll wear it now. I just thought it would be so cute on him!!! I also want to put his tags on him because he LOVES to run out the door. I want him to be able to get home quickly if he gets lost.

I haven't been able to find one for Pouncer yet. She only weighs 2 pounds. But Pouncer is microchipped, so I feel at least a little hope if she gets out. Well, I'll feel ok as soon as I send in the microchip registration!