Code Adam

lisav

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Good Point katl8e!

I believe that many parents these days are apathetic and don't take the time to parent properly. It is so important to talk to (not at) our children and explain what's going on. Kids aren't dumb - they may need to have things explained to them over and over or even rephrased in a way they can understand. Parenting is a huge and very important job - well done, you sound like a terrific parent!

On another point - children in public places. Recently I was at a local Pizza Hut restaurant to have dinner. Two toddlers were playing around the cutlery and plate trolley whilst their parents sat nearby scoffing their faces. These two kids were rearranging the stacks of clean plates with their pizza and ice cream covered hands (one had dribble coming out of his mouth at an alarming rate). I looked to their parents to see if they were going to do something about it but no, they just turned back to their food and were grateful that there was something available for them to play with! To say the least, I lost my appetite especially as I saw the waitress seat the next couple after taking two "clean" plates from that trolley.

Lisa

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sad to say, but almost every time hubby and I go out in public places - shopping, eating out, etc. - I get another full dose of birth control. After spending even ten minutes in the company of most children with NO parental control, I have no doubt that I do not want children. Yes, there certainly are kids who are out of control no matter what the parents try to do. However, watching these parents and kids interact, there is no form of discipline for these brats. They can get away with murder and they know it.

My parents believed in spanking - not beatings, but a swat on the rear end. Contrary to the new way of thinking, I cannot believe that a kid who gets swatted on the rear has horrible psychological damage from it. I really don't even remember any specific incidents when I was spanked, but I knew it was a possibility if I didn't mind my manners, especially in public.

I also remember one time when I was out with my friend and her 1 year old. He was going through a biting stage, just chomp on whatever body part came near him. He bit his mom pretty good, and gave him a tap on the mouth and said "no biting." It's not like she smacked him, but of course he started crying as most small children do when corrected. This woman who was shopping in the same area made a point to come over and tell my friend how disgusted she was at how she treated her child, and made quite a show of it. With people like that, it's no wonder no one will discipline their children in public.

The really sad thing is that in many of the situations mentioned above, especially involving kids and cars or waitresses with hot coffee, the parents would probably sue you if anything happened to their kid.
No one will take responsibility for the fact that most of the next generation has no sense of discipline, especially not the parents.

tigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't remember if my parents spanked me or my brother at a young age or not. I remember getting my mouth washed out with soap, though! :LOL: Come to think of it, my parents really did nothing about anything. I remember when I was younger & my brother (we're 3 1/2 yrs apart), & I remember when my mom had her dog. He was an older dog, and when my brother was younger, he had a golf club set -- the toy kind, not the metal ones, but he used to hit him with it
No wonder he never liked kids, but I just remember my parents telling my brother no & taking it away, but that didnt stop him.