coconut oil

snugglecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I tried to give my dog the coconut oil over a year ago, she wouldn't touch it but my cat loves it.  She will even come running from any room she is in if she hears me get it out of the cupboard. I also use it on my body after a shower and Peaches will sit at the door crying because she wants some of the coconut oil. I just put a little on my finger and she will lick it off. I thought maybe it would help her with constipation but not so much.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well neither of my cats like it either, even Pushkin who is notorious for licking oily pans etc. He actually spit it out! The stuff I bought has quite a pronounced coconut flavour, and I assume that's because it's not refined. It's organic cold-pressed, quite expensive. I've actually rubbed some on my lips and face and it's nice and moisterizing in this harsh cold weather.
I'll have to sneak tiny amounts in their wet food, or just give up!

oneandahalfcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well neither of my cats like it either, even Pushkin who is notorious for licking oily pans etc. He actually spit it out! The stuff I bought has quite a pronounced coconut flavour, and I assume that's because it's not refined. It's organic cold-pressed, quite expensive. I've actually rubbed some on my lips and face and it's nice and moisterizing in this harsh cold weather.
I'll have to sneak tiny amounts in their wet food, or just give up!
Oh, that's unfortunate that your kitties didn't like it, but great that it can be used to moisterize. Most unrefined versions do have a noticeable coconut smell, but some that I have read about (see link below), don't for some reason. I have been using a fairly good organic refined version that all of my cats seem to like. It does not have any aroma and so far so good but there is also Nutiva which is a very good unrefined version that I am going to try as well, and perhaps save the refined for cooking

I found the following article with reviews about different coconut oils, refined and unrefined, including one that was unrefined but contained no coconut aroma : http://www.evolvingwellness.com/essay/how-to-choose-a-coconut-oil-comparing-best-and-worst-brands

Last edited:

jim peterford

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey sorry I'm late to the party. I definitely agree that coconut oil has awesome health benefits but I have been hesitant to give some to one of my girls. She was diagnosed with triaditis a few years back and has been doing well with the regimen I have her on. I would love to add some coconut oil to her diet but I'm afraid that higher amounts of fat in her diet could trigger the chronic pancreatitis to flare up. I read stories of it helping with pancreatitis though so I don't know.... My other kitty Lindy suffers from infrequent seizures that are well controlled with an herbal supplement and phenobarbital, (she only seems to get them once a year or even less frequently than that!) I'm going to start giving her 1/4 of a teaspoon but as far as my other girl Noelle does anyone know about how coconut oil affects chronic pancreatitis/IBD flare ups? Thanks for the info!

raintyger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Coconut oil is an anti-inflammatory so it should help. I don't have any real world experience, though. I believe another member,  GoHolistic, uses coconut oil for their pancreatitis kitty. You might try searching their threads.