Coccidia

ravynwriter

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Good morning! Some advice needed.

Long story short, a couple of weeks ago we unexpectedly ended up with a stray kitten, about ten weeks old, in the parking lot of a Domino's pizza (I just wanted dinner, I swear!)

We took him immediately to the vet and other then some fleas and being a little skinny, he was given a pretty clean bill of health. They wormed him, gave him his shots, flea meds, tested him for FIV/FEV etc, and we brought him home and put him in the 'cat room' (aka quarantine, as we have four other kitties).

A few days later he started having diarrhea. We waited a day or two thinking it was most likely his food but when it didn't clear up we brought him in with a sample. Vet also took a direct fecal sample. The direct sample showed an overgrowth of some kind of bacteria, not sure the name. He gave us amoxycillan, a medicine to help soothe his intestines, and probiotics. Then he called us back a couple hours later and said that the fecal float revealed coccidia. So I went back and picked up a round of albon.

He's doing really well, never any vomiting, very high energy, eating like a horse, not dehydrated (he's drinking and eating wet food as well as kibble, and I check him every time we go in there). His poo has gotten much darker in color (a healthy color other than the 'coccidia yellow' it was).

He's finished his round of albon but he's still on the amoxicillan and bowel soother. We think it's the antibiotics causing it but he still has diarrhea. It's not uncontrollable like it was before, he's getting most of it but some dribbles in the litter trays, but it's the consistency of cake batter, or unset chocolate pudding. We're planning to wait a couple days after the antibiotics are done to see if it firms up and then we're going to take a sample in (regardless if it firms up or not) to see if the coccidia is gone or if he needs to do another round.

Anything else we should think of or should be doing? Any other advice you can give us or thoughts as to what may be causing it?

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Coccidia tip: bleach does NOT kill it. It's a very hardy bacteria, and you need to use a solution of 20% ammonia to disinfect (and obviously do not use ammonia and bleach at the same time). Coccidia, like other fecal parasites, can keep reinfecting the animal, so clean and disinfect litter boxes regularly, disinfect surfaces, and wash bedding and toys in hot water.

What is the intestinal soother-metronidazole/flagyl? It's pretty common for stray kittens to have more than one parasite, and that might only show up after the first one is treated. Cake batter consistency is textbook giardia, which is super common in stray kittens. Metronidazole is one of the treatment options for it though.

Panacur might also be a good medication to ask about. It's very safe, so good for little kittens, and treats a broad spectrum of worms and parasites, including giardia.

It's important to be aware that standard fecal tests are not always reliable, so if the vet says you're in the clear but the cat still has symptoms, ask for another round of medication, or a different medication, just to be sure it's wiped out.

With all these antibiotics, a good probiotic will help too-what kind did the vet give you? Floriforta is usually pretty ineffective, so if that was the one you might want to pick up one from a pet store that has Lactobacillus acidophilus in it.

Thank you for taking care of this poor little guy! He needed you!

Last edited:

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dug through some old files to check a couple facts, so I thought I'd post this here in case you need a more thorough guide. It was written by a volunteer at the shelter I used to volunteer with who had cared for hundreds a stray kittens:

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ravynwriter

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Coccidia tip: bleach does NOT kill it.
We have ammonia cleaner and have been keeping on top of it as much as we can.

What is the intestinal soother-metronidazole/flagyl?
No, it's sulcafonate *sp?* suspension.

It's pretty common for stray kittens to have more than one parasite, and that might only show up after the first one is treated. Cake batter consistency is textbook giardia, which is super common in stray kittens. Metronidazole is one of the treatment options for it though.
He wasn't a 'wandering the streets' stray, I think he was in a house but I'm not entirely sure. It's a long story: the shortened version, I went to pick up pizza and an irritated man with a box asked me if I wanted it because he didn't want it. From the sounds of the box, there was at least one cat inside (fortunately, it was just one). Not knowing what he was going to do with it I took it.

I don't know, however, if the man found him as a stray or what the story was there. I didn't really asked, he seemed pissed.

If the diarrhea keeps up I'll check with the vet regarding possible giardia as well. However this morning, he only had two poops, both in the litter box, and both had 'semi formed' bits at the end if that makes sense. So I think we're getting there, it's just slow. He still isn't 'acting' sick, never has. He's a fireball of energy and brains, that one :)

Panacur might also be a good medication to ask about. It's very safe, so good for little kittens, and treats a broad spectrum of worms and parasites, including giardia.
I'll make sure I ask about that one if he needs retreatment. Thank you!

It's important to be aware that standard fecal tests are not always reliable, so if the vet says you're in the clear but the cat still has symptoms, ask for another round of medication, or a different medication, just to be sure it's wiped out.
Will definitely do. There's no way we're letting Sir Leaks-A-Lot out into the greater house with the other furkids until we're confident it's completely gone.

With all these antibiotics, a good probiotic will help too-what kind did the vet give you?
It's the floriforta that he gave us. We're going to the pet store tonight to get him some more canned food so we'll look for a different probiotic while we're there. Thank you so much!

I dug through some old files to check a couple facts, so I thought I'd post this here in case you need a more thorough guide. It was written by a volunteer at the shelter I used to volunteer with who had cared for hundreds a stray kittens:
Thank you! We'll have a look through that :)

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds good! Kittens are super susceptible to these parasites because their immune system is still developing, so all it takes is a short period of time outdoors or exposure to another infected cat. While annoying, they're usually not too serious unless the case is severe or the cat is very weak.

I hadn't heard about sucralfate before but it doesn't look like it would do any harm. He sounds like he is loving his new home already!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ravynwriter

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No poops at all in the last...oh, 12-14 hours or so. I'm taking that as a good sign. He's also finally putting on weight and growing.

LindseyNicole14

Lucy & Ethel
Young Cat
Purraise
My poor kitten has been going through diarrhea since I got her home! I am exhausted cleaning up diarrhea and wiping her butt with wipes after so goes to the bathroom. I have had them (her and her sister) for almost 2 months now and I have yet to see a solid poop from Lucy leaky bottom. I adopted both of them and thankfully the rescue has given me all of the meds for free (I would be so broke if not) but we have done Metronidazole (2x), Albon (4th time now), Panacur, Fortiflora, a shot of something that starts with a T and countless poop samples. According to the last test she is free of Coccidia but she is still leaking everywhere, her poop looks more like brown pee. She is still extremely active, drinks and eats normally. I am at a complete loss as to what to do. The vet doesn’t even know what’s going on with her. Shockingly her sister has not gotten sick but I can’t separate them since Ethel flips out if she can’t find her sister. Any advice would be super helpful, I’m drowning in a sea of information and cat poo over here

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi! These intestinal parasites can be stubborn, and more and more they are becoming resistant to medications. Unfortunately the fecal test is not very reliable and can come back negative even when it isn't.

I would suggest you look into S. boulardii probiotic. It's a yeast that is very effective at crowding out parasites and helping good bacteria flourish. They had success using it to cure medication-resistant infections before. It has the same effect on pretty much anything pathogenic that's taking over the digestive tract, so you don't need to figure out which species is causing the diarrhea before trying it.

This website has good information about dosing and which brand to get starting about halfway down: My Cat Has Diarrhea - What Do I Do?. It also has links to lots of sources if your vet wants to read up on it. I remember reading somewhere in the forums here that cats find it bitter to taste because of the MOS, but the MOS is important to help it work, so you should definitely use that kind, but you may need to disguise it in food like the article suggests.

LindseyNicole14

Lucy & Ethel
Young Cat
Purraise
I am ordering some now! I was crying the other night just so fed up! Thank you! I’m washing my bedding daily because she enjoys attacking my feet in the middle of the night and leaking on my bed. It’s been rough! That poor cat has had Albon crushed with water shot down her throat so I will make sure she gets it in no matter what.

LindseyNicole14

Lucy & Ethel
Young Cat
Purraise
I had another fecal test done yesterday, she is still showing negative for parasites. Today the S Boulardii shows up so hopefully that will help some even though I wont be able to dose her every two hours since I have to work. The vet gave me some Hills GI food and she ate it along with some boiled chicken but still no improvement. I'm wondering if she has an allergy to something in her food, it isn't anything too fancy so I might switch her to a grain free option. It has just been going on for so long and her paws have poop on them multiple times a day. Vet said that they should have the medication for her tomorrow which is an injection. We are all just so stumped on what could be causing it! And I am worried that if i change her food YET AGAIN it will further upset her tummy.