Coccidia

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow! Where do you live? A combo FeLV/FIV test costs about $30 for me.

But at least he wasn't vaccinated against FIV. That could have complicated things later. Felo-Vax PCT is for panleukopenia ("distemper"), rhinotracheitis, and calicivirus. Not for FeLV or FIV. If the vets in your area don't think that FeLV and FIV are a huge threat, I guess you could get by without testing. I always test any cat coming into my house. But if I had to pay $150 for the testing, I might think twice, too. . .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ecotec83

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I decided that having 2 sick or dead cats was not worth the risk. I got him tested at the vets today for fiv/felv at the cost of 80$(quess the quote was for both tests) He came back negative so i have peace of mind and can let him mingle with my resident cat this weekend

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's great! Now you can get on with starting your lives together and not have to worry about it. Hope he and your other kitty make friends fast!

ecotec83

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I took him off the coccidia medication when it started to give him progressively worse mushy stools. 2 days after stopping he is back to normal litter box deposits. They still wanted to treat him for asymptomatic coccidia but the treatment seems to make it worse so i'm still not sure i will bother. Think my resident baby will warm up to him fairly quick, she kinda sniffed him and hissed in his face but she talks tough but is a big suck. She has seen him afar and he has been in the bathroom for a week so i imagine she got a few sniffs too.

bluerexbear

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Aww...I suffer from anxiety too and I know exactly what you mean (my anxiety is actually health related too - hypochondria - so that makes it much worse). I am glad you got the test for your peace of mind. I hope your kitties can now get to know each other and be best friends.

ecotec83

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It sucks big time, i've got general anxiety, social anxiety, depression and ocd. Tend to make even the littlest problems seem so huge.

He seems to be staying out of trouble so far minus the plant as a litter box accident last night. He's sleeping right now in my box spring

kmanix

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just discovered this wonderful forum this morning. Adopted 2 cats approx 6 months old 5 weeks ago from a local shelter. Both got spayed before I could bring them home.Right away I noticed bloody stools and called the vet, a tech said it was probably stress colitis and not to worry. After 3 more weeks of bloody stools I had samples tested which showed oocysts and coccidia. They're on Albon and I've read here that it's up to their immune systems to actually kill the parasite.I'm concerned whether their immune systems are weakened after a month of this. They're playful with good appetites and drink plenty of water. Should I give probiotics with the Albon and should I do anything else to boost their immune systems? Am I worrying too much?