Coccidia (Please help talk me down from a meltdown!)

alicatjoy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, I'm being a nervous Nelly here and I know it, but could use some reassurances if possible...

Well, our new cat (actually, he's my roommate's new cat) went to the vet today. The good news is that he is FeLV/FIV negative and generally healthy. The bad news, however, is that he has coccidia. Since being brought inside and kept on the front porch, he had a number of bowel movements. Most were solid, but he did have on looser stool and then suffered with foul-smelling gas while at the vet's office. Thankfully, the vet who saw him (it was not my usual vet) was wonderful and was thorough when doing his fecal exam (smear/float). Thus, she found the coccidia. And, while I am grateful this was found and is now being dealt with, I'm not thrilled with the idea. But, then again, who would be?

Theo has since been moved from the porch to my roommate's art studio (in the finished basement -- her part of the house). And, as such, his main care has defaulted to her. She has fallen in love with him and they are so sweet to watch with one another, but she's not always the most cautious with new animals. And, so I've really had to talk with her to help her realize that a strict quarantine is crucial -- especially since there are a number of other animals in the home. She cleaned the front porch, vacuumed, wiped down all surfaces with a water/bleach solution, and threw away his makeshift litter pan. All used litter was thrown into a garbage bag, tied up, and taken immediately outside. And, Theo is now resting comfortably in his new digs. The vet prescribed Albon (I do not remember the dosage off-hand) for 10 days and gave instructions on how to best reduce the risk of reinfection. My roommate understands all of this and has been taking precautions. But, I'm still worried.

My cats have had no contact with Theo. However, my roommate told me today that she had allowed 2 of my kitties to rub up on her right after she had been outside with Theodore (she apologized profusely). She didn't pet them and he had not yet used the litter box (this was right after he was brought inside), but the fact there was some contact, however small, is disconcerting to me. I do not want to deal with coccidia with my four cats or, for that matter, with my dogs. The vet has assured me that risk of infection to my animals is minimal (since there was no first-hand contact), but I am a worrier and am, thus, well, worrying. On this front, there's not much else I can do as I always am very cautious and have since urged my roommate to be (and, as a precaution have moved my kitties upstairs into my portion of the house to further cut down on the risk of exposure). I know my roommate is on board with this regimen now, but could that brief mistake be costly despite the vet's assurances? My other concern is that coccidia can cause infection through intermediary hosts (ie. mice). Our house is an older home and we do have some mice. However, in all the time I've lived here with my current cats (who I've had for almost 2 years in some cases), they have caught and killed just a handful of mice. And, in fact, the mice tend to stay in other areas of the home so as to avoid the cats. We have humane traps set up throughout the house, but since my cats do not eat the mice they kill (if they even are exposed to mice), are they at a high risk of becoming infected? Or, am I really over-thinking this? Like I said, there has been no first-hand contact and there will be no chance of first-hand contact until he has been cleared by the vet and has been out of quarantine for at least 2-3 weeks. Oh, and I should mention that my roommate is following all of the vet's instructions about keeping Theo's area sanitary as well as minimizing risk for the household as a whole (cleaning her shoes (Crocs) following being in his room with either Lysol or a bleach/water solution, changing clothes as necessary, and the like). But, where my cats and other pets are concerned, I am very over-cautious and tend to worry far more than the average pet owner. Please tell me I'm over-reacting to some degree. I know that there is always the risk of infection, but aside from taking every possible measure I can, as well as keeping my roommate informed and accountable, is there anything else I can do?

Aside from the discovery of coccidia in our little guy's intestinal tract, he seems okay. He weighed in at 7.8 pounds and is muscular, but still underweight (could be from the coccidia or from neglect). His eyes, ears, nose, and mouth all looked good. There were no external parasites found though he did have fleas at some point (he has been treated with Advantage). He was de-wormed for all parasites (including tapes) and given his FVRCP and rabies vaccine. He's scheduled for his neuter next Saturday, a follow-up a week later (for a second fecal exam), and then another follow-up a week after that for another round of vaccines. They do estimate him at about 9-10 months as I did and think he's doing well all-around -- even considering the coccidia. His stool is loose and, at times, watery, but it is not bloody and he is not dehydrated, feverish, or anorexic. If he needs another round of the Albon, or another drug, he'll be given that in 2 weeks time. And, in the meantime, my roommate is just doing all she can to ensure that all of her animals (and mine) stay happy and healthy. I'm stressed, but that's just how I am. But, at the same time, his check-up could have yielded far worse results. And, thus, if all we're dealing with is coccidia (though unpleasant and certainly not something we want to infect the other animals), it's manageable.

But, alas, I'm still concerned. And, in the middle of a near meltdown. I can't help but worry about my kitties and dogs (and other pets). I can only do so much to ensure that they are healthy and remain that way, but I am not all-powerful and am going to have to trust the situation. As long as we're doing everything we can to risk the spread of infection, there's not much else that can be done. We're certainly not going to get rid of Theo! And, while I trust that everything is going to be okay, I am still freaked out that somehow, someway, my cats will become infected. Or, my dogs. Or, whatever! I'm obsessing right now and know I need to stop. And, so stop I will do...

...but, please, if you can spare some vibes or can reassure me in some way, it would be most appreciated.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't bother with bleach. It's resistant to chlorine. You can use peroxide to clean with, though. Lysol would need to be the 5%+ concentration. Ammonia works, too, but yuck!

Call your vet and ask if that very minimal contact was enough to spread it. I would guess not, but if the two of you regularly leave your shoes inside the house or wear them inside (where the cats can access them) they will more likely get exposed to it.
Did the vet say what type of cryptosporidium it was? If not, you need to worry more about yourself than your pets. Their GIs are healthier than yours is.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alicatjoy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you, thank you! I was just about to head to bed before I caught that you had responded...

I will tell my roommate to ditch the bleach solution and opt for peroxide. I am not going anywhere near ammonia and so that's out of the question. Our Lysol is more than the 5% concentration (I just checked) and so I think we're okay there, but I don't like to use it around the cats -- that is more for wiping down our shoes and whatnot. Speaking of shoes, however, any shoes going into the art studio where Theo is are being wiped down with Lysol immediately afterwards. I have a separate pair of shoes I've put in the room so as not to even risk the spread of infection and have asked my roommate to do the same, but she insists that we're safe so long as she wipes them down well before walking through the house. And, anyway, since my cats have been moved (more like confined -- though they prefer the upstairs anyway and haven't even noticed their area has been restricted), my roommate won't be near my cats with her shoes. And, my shoes, even if worn in the house and not wiped off, are always put away in a bin. My cats won't be contact with them at all (although I will keep one pair for just upstairs in my portion of the house). The vet did say that wiping down the shoes (they are Crocs) was sufficient, but I'm just, well, apparently too anal just to rely on that...

The vet said that the minimal contact my cats had with my roommate after she was with Theo was likely not enough to cause a problem. She said that the cysts occasionally are transferred by clothing, shoes, or, in the case of a cat rubbing on your leg, fur, but that it was unlikely to spread infection to the other cats. She was pretty confident that the most likely mode of transmission was the fecal-oral route (through the common use of a litter box or through individual or mutual grooming). Of course, with any parasite or illness, there is the risk of infection, but she didn't seem concerned when I relayed my worries. But, to be safe, I've already washed all of the clothing that I was wearing yesterday as well as the shoes I wore. I don't want to invite trouble and don't mind going the extra mile to ensure my cats' health and safety. I wish my roommate were a little more reliable and thorough (and concerned and aware about the risk of infection), but I can only control my actions. I've expressed my feelings to her, asked her respect my concerns, and I (really, the pair of us) have taken appropriate action -- the rest is out of my hands. However, my now empty hands leave me with a lot of anxiety and concern...

As far as the type of cryptosporidium, the vet mentioned that it was a feline coccidia. There was another word thrown in, but I can't seem to recall it at the moment. And, unfortunately, the vet paperwork is downstairs in my roommate's file cabinet. She stated that the dogs, while they could be hosts to the parasite, could not be infected by it. I think that's what she said, but I'll have to double check in the morning. I do know, however, that she said that we didn't need to be overly concerned about the dogs coming in contact with the oocysts. Of course, I'm taking precaution anyway, but it was comforting to know that the risk of spreading infection to them was minimal. I am concerned about my own health in this matter, as well. Since I have many health issues, including a likely auto-immune disorder, I need to be careful. If I'm not mistaken, Toxoplasmosis is a cryptosporidium. And, I know there are others that are zoonotic in nature as well. For me, I am not going to have a tremendous amount of contact with Theo until he is well. Since my roommate has "adopted" him and he is living with her, she has taken on the responsibilities associated with him. I won't have access to the room he is in (though I will pass by it -- however, to be safe we have also placed a towel at the base of the door to aid in the quarantine of the room and the cat) and I will not come in contact with his litter pan or feces. I wash my hands a lot anyway and so, therefore, am hopeful that any risk of transmission on my part will be extremely low. But, it certainly is a concern for me as well.

The fact that I suffer with OCD focused around germs does not help anyone in this situation. Well, in a way it does as I am that much more cautious, but it is definitely causing me some panic and anxiety. I wish there was a 100% guarantee that came with pets, but, alas, there's not. Perhaps this experience will teach me about trust, patience, and acceptance. Yeah, maybe...

Thank you again for your response
. It definitely helped. And, while I'm not feeling completely confident and secure, I think I'm at least calm enough to get some much needed rest!

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It honestly sound as if you are doing more than is necessary to deal with the situation. I had two kittens with coccidia once, kept them isolated in a separate bedroom with no carpet on the floor but a disinfected soaked towel as a doormat, washed my hands thoroughly before and after all contact and none of my other cats caught it. It was hard to treat though, and took three courses of different antibiotics. After that, everything was fine.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Alison Joy

The fact that I suffer with OCD focused around germs does not help anyone in this situation. Well, in a way it does as I am that much more cautious, but it is definitely causing me some panic and anxiety. I wish there was a 100% guarantee that came with pets, but, alas, there's not. Perhaps this experience will teach me about trust, patience, and acceptance. Yeah, maybe...
You're doing fine. Just settle into the routine that you clean up some after being near strange cats and accept that it's enough.

My own brush with a bad bacterial infection has made me much more conscious of things like that. While others think the cleaning is overboard... they've never had to spend days in the hospital bouncing between no food and clean liquid only orders.

Personally, I'd lose the shoes entirely the moment you come in. You can always get a pair of house slippers. If your friend respects you enough (and is a long term friend) you could probably get her to remove hers and have a pair of slippers for her, too.
I don't allow shoes in my house at all, it grosses me out on so many levels.

Btw, you don't have to worry about any oocysts in feces. They're not infectious at that stage. It's only after they've been in the environment a little bit that they before infectious.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There IS a cure for coccidia. It's called Baycox. It's not available here in the U.S. (for cats, anyway), but someone outside the U.S. could send it to you.

Albon doesn't cure coccidia. It just suppresses it enough to allow the cat's own immune system overcome it. The good news is that albon has a taste that most cats seem to like fairly well.