Coccidia cleaning?

Nolabear831

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My ragdoll has coccidia. He came from the breeder like this. He is currently being treated. I’m torn on his toys and cat tree.. should I toss these items? I want to prevent reinfection. Thanks !

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Nolabear831

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Where can I get a steam cleaner for soft surfaces?

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you don't want to buy one you usually can rent them. Or, there are services that will come in and do it for you. Personally, I'd rather pay someone to make sure it's done right.

FYI when my younger one was a kitten she had coccidia too. It's very common regardless if the cat is from a breeder or living on the street.

I used disposable litter boxes while she was being treated to make that part easier for us.

Nolabear831

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’m using disposable boxes . I just don’t see the point in paying someone to steam a cat tree. Would cost less to replace. My sofa slip covers are washable.. so I really need to just figure out the cat tree.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I’m using disposable boxes . I just don’t see the point in paying someone to steam a cat tree. Would cost less to replace. My sofa slip covers are washable.. so I really need to just figure out the cat tree.
I totally missed it was just toys and the cat tree. Yea, probably less expensive to replace!

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Clean! Clean! Clean! By that, I mean a "move all the furniture" kind of cleaning. ;)

For hard surfaces, you can just use 1/4 cup of Clorox bleach in a gallon of warm water.
Clean well with your usual household cleaner then sponge down with Clorox solution and let dry.
Wear rubber gloves, eye goggles and a waterproof apron or crummy clothes you don't care about.
Keep the cat away from the area until everything is dry. A little bit of chlorine smell is okay but open the windows for ventilation if you need to.

I like the idea of using a steam cleaner for upholstery and carpet. Just be sure to do a through job. Do it twice if you need to.
As above, clean well before you use steam. Steam can't disinfect if there is dirt and grime in the way.
Vacuum well. Use an upholstery cleaning machine, first, if you need to.

You can also buy commercially available fabric sanitizers. Read and follow directions on the label.
As usual, keep kids and cats away until the area is clean and dry. Ventilate if you need to.

Cat toys? It's probably easier to throw them out and get new. Probably safer, too.
A favorite cat toy MIGHT be able to be cleaned but run-of-the-mill stuff should probably be tossed.
Hard surface, washable toys can probably be cleaned with Clorox and water. Just be sure to rinse well with tap water, afterward and don't give the toy back to the cat until it's perfectly dry.

Soft toys? Probably best to toss and replace.

Cat trees with carpet on them? Treat like upholstery. Physically clean then steam clean.

Or, there are services that will come in and do it for you. Personally, I'd rather pay someone to make sure it's done right.
I like this idea! There are people who do this sort of thing for a living. Why not get a professional?
It might be expensive but there is value for you, in this proposition, because you won't have to do the hard work.
Sometimes, it's better to pay people to do things right. ;)

He came from the breeder like this.
You need to get in contact with that breeder and tell them. First and foremost, they are sending out cats/kittens with infections. They need to know this. They need to solve this infection problem on their end so they don't infect other people's houses, their pets and, possibly, other people too!

Second, you need to read your breeder's contract to see what it says about health and medical issues.
I'm not just trying to say that you can sue them but those cards are on the table... if you know what I mean.

If somebody sells a cat which they knew or should have known has a disease, THEY can be held responsible.
If your contract has a "clean bill of health" clause, THEY are definitely responsible!

By "responsible" I don't just mean that you can sue them for money or things like that.
By this, I mean that THEY are responsible to do what is reasonable to help you solve this problem.

If THEY need to pay all or part of your vet bills... so be it.
If THEY need to pay all or part of your cleaning costs... let it be done.

Like it was said, above, things like this "just happen." Infections like this are pretty common. This is not an "end of the world" problem.

However, THEY need to know that they are sending out cats with coccidia so that they can keep it from happening again, before somebody gets sick.

Nolabear831

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Clean! Clean! Clean! By that, I mean a "move all the furniture" kind of cleaning. ;)

For hard surfaces, you can just use 1/4 cup of Clorox bleach in a gallon of warm water.
Clean well with your usual household cleaner then sponge down with Clorox solution and let dry.
Wear rubber gloves, eye goggles and a waterproof apron or crummy clothes you don't care about.
Keep the cat away from the area until everything is dry. A little bit of chlorine smell is okay but open the windows for ventilation if you need to.

I like the idea of using a steam cleaner for upholstery and carpet. Just be sure to do a through job. Do it twice if you need to.
As above, clean well before you use steam. Steam can't disinfect if there is dirt and grime in the way.

You can also buy commercially available fabric sanitizers. Read and follow directions on the label.
As usual, keep kids and cats away until the area is clean and dry. Ventilate if you need to.

Cat toys? It's probably easier to throw them out and get new. Probably safer, too.
A favorite cat toy MIGHT be able to be cleaned but run-of-the-mill stuff should probably be tossed.
Hard surface, washable toys can probably be cleaned with Clorox and water. Just be sure to rinse well with tap water, afterward and don't give the toy back to the cat until it's perfectly dry.

Cat trees with carpet on them? Treat like upholstery. Physically clean then steam clean.

I like this idea! There are people who do this sort of thing for a living. Why not get a professional?
It might be expensive but there is value for you, in this proposition, because you won't have to do the hard work.

You need to get in contact with that breeder and tell them. First and foremost, they are sending out cats/kittens with infections. They need to know this. They need to solve this infection problem on their end so they don't infect other people's houses, their pets and, possibly, other people too!

Second, you need to read your breeder's contract to see what it says about health and medical issues.
I'm not just trying to say that you can sue them but those cards are on the table... if you know what I mean.

If somebody sells a cat which they knew or should have known has a disease, THEY can be held responsible.
If your contract has a "clean bill of health" clause, THEY are definitely responsible!

By "responsible" I don't just mean that you can sue them for money or things like that.
By this, I mean that THEY are responsible to do what is reasonable to help you solve this problem.

Like it was said, above, things like this "just happen." Infections like this are pretty common. This is not an "end of the world" problem.

However, THEY need to know that they are sending out cats with coccidia so that they can keep it from happening again, before somebody gets sick.

She is aware.. I have slip cover sofas and I will wash them. I don’t want to hire a service simply to clean a cat tree. It would be cheaper to buy a new tree. I paid almost 2 k for this cat, so I’m kind of tapped out between the steam mop I bought, the new litter boxes( changing daily) and now vet bills. I know it’s not the end of the world, but it does stink..

Joelle and the kittens

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The steam cleaner I have is just a little handheld $30 thing, not too expensive. Now that the coccidia in my cats is gone I use it to steam their beds and other soft surfaces every now and then. Oh and it's useful for cleaning their food bowls -- the condensation and heat dislodge dried food making it easier to wipe up, plus I don't have to use soap.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Bless you for dealing with the coccidia. When we adopted Daisy, she had it. It seems like it took months for her to get better, but it was more like a month, I think. It was worth the effort. I don't have anything to add to the good advice that's already been given. Thank goodness, our girl has never had problems with coccidia again. There is hope on the horizon.