coat color change

p&r

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So Zoey's coat has changed, a LOT, in the past 10 days she's been here. She went from being black and orange to being gray and orange. The change came on SO fast that I originally thought it was from her getting into the fireplace to play so I gave her a bath and she seems to be even MORE gray now
. Here's a pic of her then (the day we brought her home) and today (only 10 days later). Has this happened to anyone else before?

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Could it be what's called a "fever coat"??? I don't know.... hmmm...

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by missymotus

Looks like fever coat to me too.
Should she have the kitten checked out by the vet? I read that happens when the cat is sick or has had a fever... but I don't know much about it.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AddieBee

Should she have the kitten checked out by the vet? I read that happens when the cat is sick or has had a fever... but I don't know much about it.
It could just be the lighting of the pic...I wouldn't judge whether a cat has a fever just by the coat color anyway, unless there are other symptoms like lethargy,etc..

Jake's coat changed a lot too, he was nearly all black as a kitten and his tabby markings were not showing but now he's brown and his tabby markings are very pronounced...It's normal for the color to change

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She looks alot like smoke in the first pic, is she? Then it could be the silver making her look like that.

nes

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It's hard to tell from just pictures - but I think it's just her coat growing out. Probably better food jump started her system & being a kitten it doesn't take too much growth to change her colouration

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

p&r

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone. Her coat was purely black when I got her (well, the black parts anyway, lol) she hasn't shown ANY signs of being sick, if anything she's WAY more fiesty than she was when we got her 11 days ago. I'm not sure what food she was on before but I'm pretty sure it was a cheapie food, right now they're on chicken soup (all my pets are on that) so maybe that was it? I'm trying to get them into the vet this week (it's been an insane couple of weeks and keeps getting crazier/busier) so hopefully the vet can confirm that she's fine. Thanks everyone