Coarse Fur Vs. Soft Fur

leopard_cats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I recently adopted two Bengal kittens. A girl and a boy. They both have wonderful personalities, always jumping and playing, and eating very well. What worries me is that Phoebe, the female, has beautiful soft fur. Atlas, the male, has pretty rough fur, that is not very nice to pet. I have seen both their mother and grandmother and both of em have very soft fur just like Phoebe. I'm worried that Atlas isn't getting enough nutrients or something.
Help is appreciated :lol2:

Alejandra Rico

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It is not uncommon for jengal kittens to have a coarser coat than thosebof adults, and it is just a matter of time (a long time, sadly, for some) that they will have their silky adult coats on. I warn you, however, that coarseness is linked to their ugly fuzzy stage, and it can last anywhere between 4 and 9 months. It is worth the time.

Now, to your specific case, I understood that your babies are littermates, right? If so, just by what you are saying, I would bet that Phoebe has a ton of glitter compared to Atlas, am I right? There are lots of hypothesis around glitter, softness, marbling and blue. Many breeders agree in that glitter is usually linked to softness, in a way that suggests that the more glitter a bengal has, the softer his or her fur will be. Some other breeders say that marbling is also linked to this softness, and that carriers of marbling are softer that those that are homocigotus for spotts. A few breeders go as far as for saying that the recessive blue gene is linked both to glitter and softness, and those cats having that gene will express a sofyer, more glittered coat than those who haven't it.

So, as you see, there are multiple possibilities. My personal opinion is just that not two cats go through their fuzziness thebsame way. Atlas may well be having an uglier phase now, but will probably be way softer in a few months. Thisbis something I am very imterested in, and would be very grateful if you updated this thread regularly. And if you showed pictures. Pictures are always wellcome.

A.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does the kitty with the coarse fur seem extra sleepy and lethargic? I find that my cat's fur becomes coarse when he is sick. It may not be the case for you, but always good to be sure.